Three OL deficencies

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorologist, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    As a former OL (albeit HS) I see three technique deficiencies in most, not all, of our OL.

1) First step: I'm not seeing our OLs take that first step to close off the hole. They seemed to be leaning their body in. In addition, I'm not seeing our OTs take that kick step on the outside leg to meet the DE on the outside rush.

2) Helmet on body: Due in part to #1 I'm not seeing the OL put their helmet on the body of the DL on running plays. This is also part due in part to not getting low on the block. By not stepping and placing the helmet this allows the DL to use speed and leverage to head directly to ball carrier and we end up reaching out to try to stop them from getting by.

3) Arm punch and engagement: Not seeing that explosive arm extension into the interior of the DL's chest and the use of the inside hold to direct the player. I'm seeing a lot of the grabbing of the back of the DL jersey as they go by.

I know that we have injuries and people playing out of position, but some of this is basic to every OL position. This is coaching. I weighed 145 on an OL that without me avg. over 220 (1980's). Without technique I don't survive. Without technique our OL will not open up holes/pass protect v. better than average DL's. We have some of those coming up on our schedule.
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    You described Bama's OL play to a tee with that one. :wink:
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    It's hard for me to tell, but no matter who we put at left tackle they always seem to whiff completely at least twice a game on the defensive end. I honestly think it's for lack of conditioning.
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    Could it just be that the other team just wins the battle sometimes? I mean, the blocking seemed pretty solid last night.
  5. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145

Yeah I know. But even though it is technically illegal it is not often called and it can make all the difference in blocking. To this day I can remember my OL coach telling me to get a tennis ball and strengthen my grip so I could hold better.
  6. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    'bama does it all game long and they get away with it.
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    Humphries tried for number "3) arm punch" and missed.. the right DE went around him and got to Murphy
  8. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Fla's oline has underperformed--the oline coach has some explaining to do
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Injuries have decimated line. Losing your best tackle for season, having Halapio out and coming back at 80 percent, having Hump injured and playing hurt, Moore hurt ankle, .... No continuity if you don't play and practice together. Look at tape of Gators versus LSU last year. LSU team has many players from that defense in the pros this year. Gators dominated running game. Gators dominated running game yesterday, as well as TOS. That is how you win games. We would have done the same thing against Miami, if not for turnovers. Had we kicked field goals on first down each time in the redzone, we win against Miami, as we dominated stat sheets, TOS, .... Turnovers kill. Losing Patchan and Dunker hurt depth as well.
  10. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    When was the last time our OL played very well? Was it when the Pounceys were here?
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    The blocking was awful in the first half and for much of the year. I gave up counting how many times our RBs were having to avoid a tackle in the backfield. On one play, there were 3 defenders waiting for Mack. Usually in power running, the oline pushes the dline back and open up holes for the backs to run through. I hardly ever see that with this oline or any since the last of the twins left.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    We need to add Juco stars if we have to, but we need good depth on the O-line every year. Quality depth is almost always a problem that our Gator football team should never have to worry about.