Those who think the economy is booming due to stocks need to read.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Aug 13, 2013.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    Predictable? Hardly. We can predict what it may do but we will never be able to predict when. If so, I'm leaving my IT job and going to retire by 2020. I saw it happening but I was tentative. In June 2008 I had reservations about the market and I wanted to pull back on our portfolio a bit. Problem is for those of us with families, you have your spouse to agree with and my wife at the time didn't want to pull out. Our advisor agreed that a recession would hit by the EOY but very few knew what happened the following September. Heck, I wish Schiff was my advisor back then but who doesn't these days?

Like a few here, we also grew up during the oil crisis and the stagflation of the 70s and early 80s and we are tired of all these crisis (which all started when Nixon took us off the gold standard).
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    If you're young then you're in the market for the long haul and temporary dips are absolutely meaningless. The market is the closest thing to a sure bet as there is over the long run.

The tired-but-true answer is to diversify, but the real reason the market is booming right now is because - by design - there are fewer domestic investment options available right now.

You should have a few mutual funds overseas, too. Expect to wait 5-10 on those for a good return.
  3. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    Im under 40.

I'm exclusively in mutual funds. Large cap, small cap, international

Don't know if the value of the accounts matter for your advice or not
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    The value would only be relevant were I doling out retirement advice (which is not my forte by any means).

I'm 30 and put in heavily across several markets in 2008. I have traditional, low-risk investments (roth, savings, some commodities and angel investments). The best advice I could give you is diversify and don't let politics dictate your business or financial decisions.