Thomas Holley & Gerald Willis the answers we need for fall?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by midstdrummer, Apr 30, 2014.

1. midstdrummer

midstdrummer Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    So my question arises from posts talking about how the gators middle of the D line looked in the spring. Obviously we are going to miss easley, but do you think willis / holley can fill that void. Personally i think Holley could be an impressive surprise this spring, with willis coming in and becoming an all purpose end or tackle. Thoughts?
  2. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Don't forget about Clark. I'm not sure what you can expect from true freshman DTs, but you have to like the odds that 1 of those 3 will make a positive impact.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Fill the void easly left? No chance. Provide needed depth, I think so. I am very high on holly
  4. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    I didn't know that you could smoke it.
    • Funny Funny x 8
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    Orr, Brantley and Bostwick should be able to help fill the hole.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Gator1865

Gator1865 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    I agree that at least one of them will play, but I think it is very unlikely that any of them will be a big impact player. The DT position has a lot of intricacies that Bostwick and Brantley are still picking up. I am optimistic they can get in the rotation, but it will depend on the shape they are in when they get here.
  7. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    I agree with that. I wasn't insinuating that any of them would come in and start for us, but I like the odds that at least one of them will be able provide depth in the rotation.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Anyone remember Hardcore Holly from wrestling, sounds like a good potential moniker for our Holly.
  9. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    I obviously don't think Holley, Willis or Clark will replace anyone, but one might give a spark. Orr and Cumming aren't dominant, but both are solid and are especially solid against the run. Bullard will slide inside on passing downs essentially giving us another DT. I think Bostwick is able to spell the starters occasionally. What we need from one of the true freshman is to be Torrey Davis. Come in fresh on a few plays and make an impact on talent and athletic ability.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Hahahahahaha!
  11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Isn't Holley new to football and supposed to be raw?
  12. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Pretty new, but amazing athlete and naturally very big
  13. jgriffis21

jgriffis21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Willis will be the 1 out of the 3 that we will see this year. He is a beast. He could be playing some DE though. I think Holley is going to be real good too. But he might need a little more coaching.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,966
    Brantley and Bostwick were last year's Holley... would look for one or both of them before Holley (who will need development as has been mentioned), along with Orr and Cummings on the inside.

Not sure if we're more likely to see Willis inside or outside, but he may be most likely to give us some disruption inside along the lines of what Easley did for us. I'm sure in the longer run they'll want to develop him to be versatile like Easley where he can work either SDE or DT.
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    My thoughts exactly. Why are we talking about incoming freshmen when Brantley and Bostwick already have a redshirt year and spring practice behind them. Of the two, I've heard that Bostwick has progressed the most and has gained a lot of weight.

Of the two incoming freshmen, Willis has the best chance of making an impact. He has the look of another Easley. I think Holley will be a fine player, but he's a year away from getting significant PT.

Orr isn't filling a hole. He's a returning starter. He needs to be a good one.
  16. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Holley and Willis were higher rated than both Brantley and Bostwick, but they are certainly no slouches. Our DT rotation in a year or two is going to be nasty. Given that Brantley and Bostwick have been in the program for a year, you would hope that they can step in and contribute. Indications from the spring practices are that they showed potential, but still need to work on their consistency. My hope is that we can find some rotation depth at the position out of this pool of 4-5 players. I think we can.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    I think holly turns out the best of the lot, I like all of them though, Caleb needs to toughen up...
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,905
    Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. its this generations banana peels
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,905
    GwIII is this year's fowler. He will most likely play SSDE, and will play in the rotation from day one. His momma mrs. April Justin sure knows how to give birth to some pretty good athletes, landon collins #1 safety out of HS. Highly sought after, and the same for willis. There were a lot of Louisiana folk very upset lsu let him slip away.

I watched him give cameron robinson (#1ol, bama commit) everything he could handle at the UA game
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    No, they are true freshmen linemen and they will not contribute this Fall.

I guess Willis could, since he is a DE and maybe coaches can let him use his athleticism in space the way they did Fowler.

They may or not be better than Brantley or Bostwick, they were 4 star Rivals recruits just like Brantley and Bostwick, but to expect them to make any contribution is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last year, we lost our best DT and neither Brantley or Bostwick saw the field.

True freshmen are rarely the answer at programs with the winning expectations of UF.

Last year we played several highly ranked true freshmen…Taylor, Hargreaves, Fulwood, Robinson….at positions where true freshmen can have an impact early.

We ended up 4-8.

Playing true freshman is a sign your program does not have enough talented upperclassmen to be successful in the SEC.

I hope neither plays. We need Orr and Cummings to stay healthy, and we need one of Brantley/Bostwick to step up and play according to their rankings.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1