Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This will not end well - Yale U.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Apr 21, 2024.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can't argue with racists. Never works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s legitimately fascinating to me that you are really trying to make this argument.

But to your point, I didn’t say the counter protestors were perfect, I said comparatively there is no legitimate equivalency, and every data point backs that up, as I pointed out above. One side is responsible for every negative step/escalation in this process, while one side was objectively victimized by many of those escalations. It’s like asking me why I am not sharing the same anger towards, or giving the same attention to a murderer and a jaywalker, since they are both criminals. The two sides this time around are objectively (and yes I mean that word in its literal sense) not the same.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think it’s a question of racism in this case (I hate that word being thrown around), his background on an issue like this is fairly unique, but he can speak to that if he chooses.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yeah, except for the fact that the counter-protesters have engaged in every bit as severe of conduct as the protesters. They've made threats, they've used racial slurs, they've started violent confrontations, and they've physically harmed people. So your analogy falls flat. You have decided one side is a victim and the other the perpetrators. And that's the lens through which you're viewing everything that is happening. But let's be clear, the people who escalated things and caused a riot last night were the counter-protesters, not the people in the encampment.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Like I said, this is absolutely fascinating to me.
    And I specifically called out last night as the exception. Which by the way, came after one Jewish kid was literally held hostage and other was beaten into a hospital stay while the police had stand down orders from the school. The escalations came from the same side as everything else.
    But even with that, you can show me where 1000 Israel supporters were arrested, where they blocked off parts of campuses from Muslims and physically stopped them from entering, called for support of US designated terror orgs, where they defaced entire buildings, where they illegally occupied buildings (and demanded the school feed them, which was awesome), any of the things that truly set this stuff alight, then sure. But you continually ignore that part of the discussion, because you know you can’t defend it.
    But my point was made, you are free to have the last word on it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Why would they need to do any of that? Their position is the position of the US government and by extension, the police. Them attacking an encampment is exceptional, in that they specifically chose violent retribution instead of just being content that the government is doing their preferred policy and staying at home and watching TV or whatever. Did you wonder why very few white supremacists were arrested during BLM protests?

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    But you're assuming it was the exception based on getting one-sided information. You've been posting tweets in this thread from people who are not objective or reliable news sources. At least one of the videos you posted was selectively edited to omit information that changes the context of what happened. (Specifically, the one of the Jewish student being blocked from going to class. UCLA security blocked off that area, and the UCLA security officer told the student he needed to go around. The video you posted edited out that comment.)

For example, reports were that when the female Jewish student was assaulted that it came during violent clashes provoked by the counter-protesters. Does that excuse whichever person hit that woman? Of course not. The point is, though, that escalations are not only coming from one side. And that didn't suddenly change last night.
    It's interesting how you're throwing things happening at difference places into a single pot and acting as if that should govern our discussion of UCLA. How does what's happening at Columbia justify your stance on UCLA? Is it guilt by association?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unrelated kinda, but didn’t wanna start a new thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    A very dumb and ignorant reason for doing the right thing.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
  11. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Please, please take these folks up on their offer!!! The progressive anti-Semitic protesters will fit well with the Iranian terrorist.

MSN

An Iranian college is offering free tuition to US students expelled for taking part in anti-Israel protests – as a professor there called them “our people” who would support Iran in a war with America.

+

A professor at the University of Tehran said Iran was thrilled to see such uprisings — because pro-terror students would likely support Iran if it went to war.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Very interesting. I guess when a few of our libbie posters disappear we’ll know where they went.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry, I said I would stay away, but this is infuriating.

14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ole Miss fraternity expels member who appeared to make ape-like sounds toward Black protester (msn.com)

Acollege fraternity at the University of Mississippi, where a member last week jeered a Black woman protester by appearing to make ape-like sounds and gestures, said the man has been expelled from the organization.

NBC News has not independently identified the former member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, who was a part of a large, rowdy group that surrounded and badgered pro-Palestinian protesters at Ole Miss. But in a statement Sunday, the fraternity said it pinpointed the man captured in a viral video and disassociated itself from him.“Phi Delta Theta General Headquarters is aware of the video regarding the student protest at the University of Mississippi,” the statement read. “The racist actions in the video were those of an individual and are antithetical to the values of Phi Delta Theta and the Mississippi Alpha chapter. The responsible individual was removed from membership on Friday, May 3.”

Meanwhile, the school said it is launching an investigation into the conduct of at least one student during the counterprotests. Chancellor Glenn F. Boyce sent a letter to students and staff Friday noting that Ole Miss leaders were aware of behaviors that were “offensive, hurtful, and unacceptable, including actions that conveyed hostility and racist overtones” at Thursday’s protest.

“While student privacy laws prohibit us from commenting on any specific student, we have opened one student conduct investigation,” he wrote. “We are working to determine whether more cases are warranted.”

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    play stupid games, win stupid prizes. students suspended or expelled losing grants, scholarships, prepaid housing, meal plans etc and loan repayment clock starts

Student protesters facing disciplinary action may also deal with financial setbacks (msn.com)

Some college students protesting Israel's war in Gaza have faced disciplinary action in recent weeks, with universities handing down suspensions and expulsions.

The consequences of these temporary or permanent bans from campus "may also involve financial setbacks," said higher education expert Mark Kantrowitz. Depending on the college and disciplinary action taken, those can include the loss of scholarships, previously paid tuition, and access to meal plans and even on-campus housing. "Students who are suspended do not get tuition refunds," Kantrowitz said.

According to an email reviewed by CNBC from Massachusetts Institute of Technology President Sally Kornbluth to the MIT community on Monday, students in encampments were notified they could face a range of punishments, from a written warning to an "immediate interim full suspension." The email says those consequences depended on factors such as whether the students agreed to voluntarily leave the encampment on Kresge Lawn and whether they already had a pending case or sanction on their record from the campus discipline committee.

Those who are handed the harsher penalty will not be allowed to reside in their assigned residence hall or to use MIT dining halls, although they will continue to have access to health services, the email said.

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Universities booting students out of their housing with no notice is bullshit. Outside of a student who is a legitimate safety threat, they shouldn't be able to do that. Or if they do, they should be required to pay for them to stay in a hotel.

18. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree with the “no notice” portion. It all depends on the agreement the student (or parents) signed to live in a dorm. If living in a dorm is dependent on obeying certain rules at a school then they should have read the contract. Hah - as an attorney I bet you never heard those words before.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I am not very receptive to the "you should have read the contract" argument when one party has no bargaining power. If the students had equal bargaining power or even some bargaining power, I'd be more inclined to agree.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007