"This week's visit from the Gators is low-hanging fruit as far as statement games go"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gottapanda, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    That quote is from an ESPN Insider article about the best bets in college football this week. Seriously, are any of the "experts" picking us? Here's the full write-up on our game:

What are they looking at that makes them think this is anything but a dominant Gator victory? Miami didn't beat a team with fewer than 6 losses last year. They lost 41-3 to Notre Dame. When has Al Golden ever won anything of significance? I just don't get it. If we don't win by at least two touchdowns I will be shocked.

Sure Duke Johnson is good, but he got shut down last year when they played a defense with a pulse. He had 8 carries for 22 yards against ND and 9 for 27 at home against FSU. By contrast, Gilly ran 24 times for 140 yds and 2 TDs at Joke Campbell. We are going to run all over them, pass all over them, basically do whatever we want on offense. Our D is going to crush them.

I'm so pumped for this game. Gators 31-6.
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Such picks sure do get people talking, though, which is prolly the point. The E in ESPN is for Entertainment.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    I've got some hanging fruit for ESPN.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    The -3 in front our name indicates that yes, someone is picking us.

I hope that you are right, but for some reason, I think that your two statements might be linked. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 32806Gator

32806Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    All CBSSports experts picked the Gators, the ESPN conference bloggers and 9/10 of the Sporting News experts.

This game, like almost all games, will be won in the trenches. UF should have the advantage on both lines and getting Tank Morrison back is huge.

Not sure what this guy is looking at when he says our team health is not good. We are only missing Halapio. IMO, team health is great. It just goes to show most of these so called "experts" do very little homework.
  6. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    We're not sporting "good team health and continuity right now?" How much continuity can a team display after playing only one game? And health? I assume Halapaio is still out and of course Debose. I know there's a couple others but I think we're in pretty good shape health-wise, especially with all but one of the suspensions returning.

"The Canes have the program's best mix of talent, experience and opportunity of the Al Golden era.?" I guess one could argue about talent though to me we clearly have more overall. But best mix of experience and opportunity of the Al Golden era?" That may be true but the Al Golden "era" is 13 wins and 11 losses playing in the ACC.

I don't mind commentators picking our opponents but it seems a little odd to be picking them for the reasons given.
  7. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    These "experts" are told to go the other way on games like this to spark more interest and then "privately" lay their own money the other way.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,887
    Actually I think most people ARE picking is....Even Vegas for a rivalry road game.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  9. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    ESPN over the years has declined drastically in regards to knowledge. I have tuned them out years ago.
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    As far as team health goes, we are missing the right side of our OL (Halapio and Green), our most explosive known commodity at receiver (Debose), and our starting RB is coming back from a significant illness.

I can understand someone having the impression that a weak offense from last year is even further hampered.

Then look at all the losses we have from last year's defense, and the last impression we left on people with the Sugar Bowl, and it's not difficult to pick the Canes.

While a lot of folks are picking us anyway, I wouldn't lose any sleep over what any of these guys have to say. As a matter of fact, good old Tim Brando called against us, so that practically guarantees a Gator victory.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Well, if your knowledge is only cursory you note that both Halapaio and Green are out on the right side of the line. You don't know that there was actually some doubt about whether Green would beat out Moore anyway.

Everyone describes Debose as the offensive playmaker, so it is assumed that the Gators are missing a key piece. Although we all hoped that AB would step up this year, we know what his production has been in the past; and only a fool would be all in on the hype of a new AB. I expect the coaches had alternate scenarios in place anyway.

People tend to believe that because Champ chooses to play close to the vest, possession football, and doesn't give a damn about embarrassing an opponent, that the Gators cannot score. FSU's vaunted defense probably believed the same right up to kickoff last year.

I have come to discount almost 50% of what any commentator says; and about 75% of what comes from ESPN. Don't forget that Kirk Herbsteit flat picked Toledo last week during the Gameday.

Here is a prediction. If Jones is up to carrying the ball 20 times, folks will be talking about him after the game, and not Duke. I predict a 7 yd average.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    :laugh:
  13. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Guilty as charged. Seriously, though, I'm expecting at least a 14-point win. Probably bigger.
  14. coldsteel120

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Lol
  15. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    They just really want to see Florida have another bad season, because we're not glamorous and we do not do it the prettiest of ways. They'll pick Oregon to win every game, and Louisville, and Florida st, and Ohio st...

ESPN can suck it
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    Agree with all of that.
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,887
    Except ESPN as a majority isnt even picking Miami....so theres that.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  18. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    Do some reading before insulting. Most of them picked us. Almost all of them, actually. Lol
  19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Some good posts in the thread.

I'll add that no one is mentioning our new RB's and FB.....who figured prominently in last week's 4th quarter. What WE saw - was absolutely HUGE going forward because.....my second point was the blueprint for success by Coach Muschamp does NOT necessarily include (nor 'depend' on) a flashy offense, per se.

Pundits are basing their comments on the development (or in their eyes lack of) our offense.....so there will always be those who miss the point.....winning games because of (my point) defense and ball control.

After tomorrow's decisive victory the jig will be up....everyone will know what they are dealing with....a Gator program that is building on it's 11-2 season of 2012. :wink:
  20. coldsteel120

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I do not read or watch ESPN, sorry. They are a bunch of hacks IMO and cause brain rot.