This Team is Mystifying

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Feb 11, 2018.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,521
    This team is mystifying. They look absolutely great for a few games and then like absolute crap for a few games. Then repeat. Nothing in between.

I just hope they are on an up cycle when the tournament starts.
    • Agree Agree x 11
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,226
    Well, the good news is, that was our best start-to-finish defensive game yesterday. Every team and every player will have off-games shooting, but if you defend like that you'll have a chance to win.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,083
    Don’t get too caught up in yesterday’s win, SC has been sucking lately.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Agree; it will be nice if they learned that lesson. When the shooting goes cold, make up for it with strong D. It would help these guys survive in March.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,520
    Yes Gotham, as I said in another post this team is quite clearly a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team.

And Planet, HOPEFULLY - YES! YES! YES! - play defense, which initially was a real weakness but has clearly been improving, albeit inconsistently, through the year.

The one thing I really, really, really liked to see yesterday, was very solid play from Okauru, Ballard, Basset and Gak, all of whom played 12 or more minutes. In games like Duke, Clemson and others, it was Cheeze, Allen, Hayes, 3Gor and Hudson wearing out that meant losing the end game.

I will absolutely never forget when UF played Michigan in the fall of 1999 in Miami when Billy D played a very fast-paced game and rotated 10 players throughout the game. The Michigan coach said: "They just wore us out. Our guys played 35 minutes each and they just kept sending in fresh players." Mike Miller had the highest number of min per game that year with 28, followed by Brent Wright at near 25. So no one Wore Out ever, and it carried through to the Finals despite having 2 True Freshman PGs in Justin Hamilton & Brett Nelson.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +791
    This was the most sensible thing I've heard or read come from the mouth of anyone associated with the program all season.

"This is where the bar stands for us." - Cheese

Exactly. The players can't come out and mumble "The coaches tell us what to do, sooner or later we have to listen" after a buttkicking any more, at least not with credibility. They now have a standard for how to defend and rebound with intensity for 40 minutes against an opponent who wants to push you around because your team has a reputation for backing down.

Now, I'm not fool enough to believe there won't be mystifying backslides over the next six games. There will be, and they will piss all of us off. But now there is a tangible standard for game preparation, and hopefully a memory the squad can turn to and leverage at halftime of a game that is going badly.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,045
    The missing ingredient to this team, at least one that is available, is and has been KeVaughn Allen. I think we will get what we expect, for the most part, out of Cheese, Stone, Hayes and Hudson. If KeVaughn could get out of this funk that he has been in all season then this team becomes dangerous but there have been very few signs that will happen. In yesterdays game, SIX players out scored Allen....that should not be happening.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,254
    I honestly think his problem might have to do with his body. If you've ever played pickup or rec league basketball, you'd see all the buff guys really suck at basketball because their muscles have actually inhibited their natural upper body movement and they look literally stiff. It's why Tebow was told to stop lifting heavy in college. You'll never see buff quarterbacks, the same as you'll never see buff shooters in the NBA. This kid needs to cool it with the arm exercises and start doing nothing but yoga the rest of the season.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,042
    Looked at KA yesterday after being called for a walk/travel. To me, his face looked a little bloated.
  10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,912
    I agree and have always felt that way, but then I think about how huge Karl Malone was and LeBron James is and think maybe that is not it. But most of the great 3 point shooters are not all jacked up.
  11. number1

number1 All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Lebron is more of a physical, attack the basket and draw contact-type player that sometimes gets hot from deep. I agree that Allen may have overdone it with the weights, which has affected his shooting touch. Didn't Dee Brown from Illinois experience something similar? Having all that muscle may look good in the jerseys, but it may have affected him just enough to cause issues. It's all theory as I don't have any evidence to back this up. lol

[​IMG]
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,828
    Regarding the back cuts to the basket I can agree. But our defense (blocking shots especially) and rebounding with a purpose was quite different than other games this season. This one felt like a growth spurt.

Now if the guys read the press clippings and want to expand their repertoire then I can see another brain fart game or two.
  13. newnangator

newnangator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +242
    When will the "Real" Gator team show up? We beat Cincinnati, Gonzaga and should have beaten Duke then we lose to mediocre teams like Georgia ...what gives? Egbunu will not play this year (lets face it) so we have to play great defense and shoot bette than average in order to continue to win.
  14. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    I’m hoping the team that recently beat Lsu and USC keeps showing up.
  15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +4,308
    Didn't we lose to BAMA? I think you meant LSU
  16. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Fixed!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jayhovah

Jayhovah Senior

Ratings Received:
    +725
    Literally everything you just said I have been thinking all season, including the Tebow analogy.
  18. harnettgator

harnettgator Gator Girl, Exiled to Harnett County, NC Moderator Premium Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,354
    I'm just glad you've moved us onto a new adjective. Mystifying sounds so much better than frustrating! :p
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,194
    What's amazing to me is not only the inconsistency in play, but the inconsistency in team identity - how we go from being potentially one of the best offensive teams at 100+ points per game average the first 4-5 games of the season to a team that holds SC to 41 points at SC

I think the up and down season is as much to do with trying to find our identity... and the balanced 'play good D WHILE we play good offense'...for most of the season we've done one or the other, rarely both.

The inconsistency in play seems correlated to the inconsistency in identity
    • Like Like x 2