This team is more similar to 2007 than we think...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Feb 25, 2014.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Well, that depends on how much the game mattered. This year's team would treat all 10 games like the title game. That team might get bored.

10 straight single elimination games? Say, we told them it was for the national title, dressed the current team up in say OSU or Kentucky uniforms and then erased their memories after each game, then the '07 team would never lose.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Erasing their memories after each game eh??

[Begins to ponder how to pitch new Sci-Fi sports drama, titled Tablua Rah Rah Rasa, to CBS without corp's knowledge]
  3. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    That sounds like a series the SY-FY channel would jump on.
  4. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    The talent level is not as high but the heart, teamwork, and commitment to one another are. Also the recruiting class of 2010 can win One NCAA championship at best. (which would be an unbelievable accomplishment) The 04's won two back to back championships. I will say that this group has had to work harder for everything they have accomplished and is more blue collar. That makes them more appealing if not more sexy.
  5. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    4 straight elite 8's, with the fourth leading to a Final Four or even national title, would be nothing to scoff at either
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Actually, Chris Richard versus DFS is a different situation, but DFS offers lot of things that Chris Richard didn't although he lacks Richard's brute strength. In fact, DFS is a better rebounder than Richard was.

If C. Walker had been around the whole year, or if Harris were on the team, then it would be difficult to say which team was really better despite Horford, Brewer and Noah, largely because the 4 seniors have that extra experience. Unfortunately, they weren't/aren't. Now Devon Walker has become a far better 8th player then anyone on either the 06 or 07 teams, although, by the NCAA tournament, Speights was a decent player for the '07 team.
  7. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Too late. I already copyrighted it. Check the link if you don't believe me.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    We do have an all world defender at the point on this team, and I already mentioned that the WY/Horford comparison was the biggeat difference.
  9. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    Also, I think this years bench helps even the playing field as well.

Similar starting numbers and a great groupndepth wise, along with the equal opportunity scoring numbers makes this team similar.

My biggest point was that this leads back to Billy. His way works. Both teams have similarities that reflect the head coach. This is a signature Billy team sans greatness from the arc.
  10. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Thanks...I haven't heard that song in a while. He was the blackest sounding white guy ever. :D
  11. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    You're welcome. Everyone enjoys a good Rick Roll.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I clicked it. :)
  13. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    Rick Roll? Speaking of 2007. o_O
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    This team is not in the same realm as 2007. Horford and Noah were drastically better than Young and Will Y. Maybe the front lines would have been comparable if we had Walker this entire year and Harris played. Humphrey was better than ME III both defensively and as a shooter. PG and SF may be slightl advantages for this team but that is it.
  15. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I agree. In March, the '04s lost once in 3 years if I recall. When it counted, they simply didn't lose. An extra gear seemed to exist in that machine and this rendition could not match that in my opinion. I don't think the '04s would have gone 4-0 in a 7 game series knowing it was a 7 game series because they probably would take a day off but I do think they would go 10-0 if you could mentally trick them.
  16. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    Not my point. My point is how similar they are numerically and how that is a reflection on Billy and the team buying in in 07 and 14.
  17. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    You're nuts. I already posted in another thread that MFII has a slight statistical lead over Humphrey from beyond the arc. Also, Frazier is an 84% FT shooter. Humphrey shot 63% from the FT line. Frazier averages 2 ppg more than Humphrey did at UF in either championship year, he averages twice as many rebounds per game, and more steals. Frazier is taller, more athletic, and will play in the NBA. I can't even believe someone would make this statement.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I don't think Prather is as good as Brewer. The only advantages this team may have over 2007 is Wilbekin and Green, and DFS over Richard. However those are both extremely close. MFII and Humphrey are close but I would give a slight advantage to Lee because of Defense and timely 3 point shooting. Noah, Horford and Brewer- No one is even close in my opinion.
  19. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Hey, the 07's had Jack Barry and we have Dillon Graham......it's a wash. Barry scored 17 points in three seasons.
    Dillon has 11 in two.

Only Barry has two nat'l champ rings.
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    Osiris, you have a serious case of not respecting other people's opinions. You have a lot of nerve telling a poster that he is nuts for thinking that Humphrey was better than Frazier? I doubt that many knowledgable hoops fans would think that Frazier right now is better than Humphrey was back in 2007. IMO, Humphrey was one of the greatest clutch shooters that we have seen in NCAA tournament history. There is not a chance in hell that I would want Frazier rather than Humphrey shooting a key 3-pointer with the NCAA championship on the line. As for your statement that Frazier will play in the NBA, who knows? He has a long way to go. Right now, he is not a good ballhandler, he is a streaky outside shooter, he has trouble scoring at the rim, and he is an average defensive player. However, he is a hard worker and can improve. As far as your calling me an exaggerater, you might want to take a close look at your self. For one, that big physical Tennessee team that beat the '04's many years ago started Dane Bradshaw at power forward. I still recall wondering how a team that small could beat the Gators, but they did.