This season who will be our "Percy Harvin"?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,985
    Just ask yourself this question: is there any player on this team that can legitimately take it to the house ANY TIME he touches the ball? Percy was that guy. Kelvin might break off a few runs to the the hizzy but not like Percy.....there's a reason he's called Michael Jordan in cleats
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Probably!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    If we're talking style/ position, Showers. If you we're talking exact replica, god only knows. What a beast.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    plus cook won't be nearly as fast in college with lane securely attached to his crotch
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,059
    Below is an excerpt from an article in today's Gainesville Sun. Link is below that for the full article. Hence why a couple of us stated that Matt Jones might be the closest thing to having a running back/pass catcher. Muschamp has gone on record as saying that Jones is going to get a serious look in this role. I'm sure there will be times where this player is in the slot. I know it's not identical to having a "Percy role," but it may be the closest thing -at least for this offense???? I don't know.

Muschamp seemed to be feeling positive about his team coming out of the spring, but said the Gators still need to find depth on both lines of scrimmage, find a consistent performer at the one cornerback position and at the nickel position in the secondary, and get more production out of the “B” position (combination running back/tight end).

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140415/ARTICLES/140419791?tc=cr
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    The "B" position will be probably the single most important receiver/HB position to fill this season. You need someone that can block, but who can also get out and catch a pass on a short route when the LB's cheat in and the DB's crash.

Someone like Hunter Joyer, or Matt Jones, needs to step up and catch 20-30 passes and provide a consistent threat to move the chains, but also, be a threat to block someone out of one of Roper's quick hit running plays out of the shotgun.

Other than that, the thing UF desperately needs isn't a game breaker on the outside, but just somebody that can consistently win a one-on-one match up against good DB's in the SEC and move the chains. Basically all Duke did was run short, quick stuff, and then when they needed a big play they would look for their #1 or #2 receiver in single coverage. Not rocket science.

At the end of the day, Football is a sport that is all about people doing their job, and beating the guy in front of them on the field. UF has failed to do that consistently on offense for a while now, hopefully a few players can step up and make this work. Otherwise it's going to be another long season.
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Do we know how Adam Lane's hands are? He sure looked good several time Saturday picking up the free rusher and obviously running the ball.
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,059
    It has been reported that he has good hands.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,024
    All true. We are deep with backs and I really like our potential with the "B" position... Jones should be a great fit there I think.

But our inability to complete a down field pass severely hampers our receivers' ability to get space. DBs don't have to worry about getting beat deep because our QB doesn't anticipate very well (or has been coached not to throw unless the WR has his man clearly beat), doesn't have time to wait for them to break open (due to our OL issues), and doesn't throw the deep ball very accurately or with any air under it so receivers can run to the ball.

If this remains the case in the fall, good defenses will still squeeze the field on us and make it difficult to move the ball. In the longer term (assuming reasonable pass protection), I'm pretty sure Grier will provide the vertical stretch for our offense. We need to see it from JD this fall though, if we're going to compete to get to Atlanta against this schedule.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. j_major32

j_major32 Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    I honestly don't see any sort of Percy Harvin replica on this team. I just don't see a guy that can do it all and do it all well.

Now, if we are just talking who can step up and be a playmaker in general ala Percy Harvin, I think Demarcus Robinson is primed for a big year. I was very impressed with his Spring and thought he was great in the O&B Debut. As long as he has his head on straight, I think we are going to see huge things from #11 in 2014.
  11. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +896
    Florida doesn't need to throw a ton 20-30 yards down field, they just need some pass catchers that can win 1-on-1 battles somewhat consistently.

Let teams come up and press, then all it takes is one WR winning a one-on-one battle, breaking a tackle, and then scoring.

However, if the UF pass catchers don't win those 1-on-1 battles that we KNOW are coming, then UF is in trouble, no matter who the QB is.

Those 1-on-1's will certainly exist. Between JD's legs, and the UF propensity to run, good teams will be playing with a lot of guys close to the LOS. Look for a DB's and OLB's to be cheating on UF's edges a lot this year.
  12. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +236
    Based on the O&B game alone, I would say Demarcus Robinson is clearly the most talented and explosive player on the team. If he comes of age this season then we will have a big year as a team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    We should see Hunter and Gideon in the B position. The question will be how Matt comes back and performs.
  14. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    If you are the receiver running your route - wouldn't you run it with enough space from the sideline so the QB could hit your outside shoulder?

In the O&B game I saw several receivers hugging the sideline with a DB glued to his side. What's a QB supposed to do then? Throw it and say a prayer?
  15. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
  16. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I would have thought Percy's performance in the super bowl would have been a reminder of just how unique that dudes ability is. He missed the whole season and yet still.....

The only people I would put in his realm in recent years would be desean jackson and sammy watkins and even then I can't recall anyone seemingly always gaining positive yardage after the first hit the way Percy was able to do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Exactly, I mean this dude literally made the Broncos' special teams look like they were running in slow motion. This is after Percy missed the entire season. I mean that is just unreal! That guy was just absolutely amazing!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    I don't know but I sure miss Percy.
  19. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    There really is nobody like no mercy, the guy is absolutely incredible
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +896
    Yeah, I think as fans we're going to have to STOP waiting for the next Percy. Because honestly, I've never seen anyone that has his same combination of strength, speed, and quickness, that allows him to take one step and outrun everyone in tight spaces. Reggie Bush maybe. It's that first step, though, and I don't remember in my 20 years of watching college football anyone having a more devastating first step and change of direction ability.

If he could stay healthy he would be a NFL HOF'er.

And frankly, UF doesn't have anyone REMOTELY CLOSE to that. What UF does have right now is a lot of big, strong receivers, and hopefully Driskel can take advantage of that this year.