This is why I hate recruiting agencies

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by RealGatorFan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,560
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/why_isnt_alabama_hs_receiver_w.html

So this young man broke a leg in his junior season and he transferred to Thompson HS last year and set the single season receiving record catching 118 passes for 1,464 yards and 13 TDs. Thompson is where Tua's little brother set records last season as their starting QB. This receiver is 6'1 180 lbs, really good size and he has good speed but his strength is route running, great hands, and he blocks. Yet, not a single Power 5 school has offered. It's because while he was getting over the broken leg, he didn't go on the "look at me" circuit. He's listed as a 3 star prospect so if this can make it's way to Mullen's in box, at least give the kid a look.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,187
    I'm with you RealFan, prospects must be judged based on what they do. This is the same reason that Rex Grossman had to send film to Spurrier to get a look and an offer, and he should have been the Heisman Winner but was cheated out of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,795
    3 star prospect will get a chance to showcase their skills on the next level. He's a very lucky kid. Don't see the problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,967
    rex was a parade all american in high school and a four star recruit if I remember right. Spurrier just never liked to recruit outside the south.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,293

Parade All-American is a 5 star endorsement.
  6. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,952
    There are a lot of kids who put up unbelievable stats that simply aren't top level D1 talent. The FCS ranks are littered w/ HS studs who for one reason or another didn't get looked at by the big programs - a stud MLB, who racks up 100+ tackles for 3 years...but he's "only" 5'11. Or a CB that is 5'8. Or a WR who is 6'4, but weighs 160lbs.

There was a kid who played at Nease w/ Tebow in 2005, Austin Silvoy, who was a stud WR. 6'4 185lbs (in HS). Finished his Sr year w/ 60+ catches for over 1,000 yards. Imagine all the scouts who saw him play (while they were recruiting Timmy). Didn't get much of a sniff....he signed w/ Troy. Had a solid college career, nothing spectacular...finished w 45 catches. He's now the WR coach at Middle Tennessee.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. killergator

killergator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    This is why I made this link here. Ian Reilly 2020
    I also sent a direct email to the UF recruiting staff. They may have no interest,(who knows?) but this was the only way I could think of to ensure that he wasn't at least overlooked. The team he plays for is a traditional running power and he gets maybe 6- 10 attempts a game at passing. Does the type of team he plays for affect his recruiting potential? It might, but at least I tried....
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,933
    There are a lot of kids who are overlooked even at the Pro level. The NO Saints astound me how they find stars that no one else even consider.

Good coaches know what they want and need. It's not just Stars - They need to be a fit and have heart.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,828
    I’ve heard several different recruiting podcasts state that the rankings this year are more than a little off due to the amount of turnover in the industry with 247 acquiring Scout. Recruiting analysts were more worried about their jobs than the rankings this year.
  10. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +217
    that's pretty dumb. Their jobs should be tied to their evaluations, right?

"I was worried about losing my job so I did my job pretty poorly."

Not disagreeing with your post, just the thinking behind it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,828
    I think the issue was that 247 and Scout were merging at the same time ESPN was having major staff layoffs. It is also not like there is a high demand or big market for high school recruiting analysts and/or publishers. If 40% of the jobs in your field were about to go away, that could cause enough uncertainty to affect performance. It also cut down on the number of eyes that were able to get out into the field to see all the players that couldn’t afford to go to the camps.
  12. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,933
    I am not a Star guy. You generally can evaluate tape, competition, and player fit.

A good coach and recruiter does not need a rating. They generally know.
    • Agree Agree x 1