This is the culprit of our scheduling problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Aug 26, 2013.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your point in all this. One person doesn't make the scheduling decisions all alone.

The SEC schedule is on a systematic rotation where all the schools rotate. There's no one guy sitting in an office somewhere deciding that he wants his school to play an easier schedule.

UF had Bama rotate into it's schedule 2010 and 2011. UGA had Bama rotate in 2007 and 2008 and then LSU in 2008 and 2009. UGA played both those teams in 2008. The rotation should be identical for every school.

There is no difference between the way UF's schedule is set versus UGA or Bama or anyone else. The only difference is the cross division rival games - UF/LSU, Bama/UT, UGA/Auburn, Ole Miss/Vandy, MSU/UK, Arky/USC and TAMU/Mizzou. In 2014, they switch to Arky/Mizzou and USC/TAMU. Outside of those games, all the other teams rotate evenly.

What happened is simply that when they went to 14-team, they started a new rotation and it just so happened that UF got paired Bama. That's it. Nothing more. No conspiracy. The same thing could happen again if/when the SEC goes to 16 teams.
  2. GatorCrazy11

GatorCrazy11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Bama, LSU, UGA, USC, TAMU, whatever. Even if I don't think we'll win, I want to watch the best football games and earn the championships we all so desire.
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,985
    Great points..I was hoping I wasn't coming off as a conspiracy theorist when I started this thread, because it's happened too many times for it to be "that's just how the schedule is."
  4. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,985
    bama only has 3 games with teams ranked in the top 25, and I believe only one of those 3 is in the top 10.
  5. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +457
    Good Lord. We will seriously cry and whine about anything
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Kinda sound like whiners honestly
  7. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    espn owns college football---schools play at the times they order, to pocket all that green.
  8. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    I'm really surprised that as a GrammarNazi you picked up on that . . . but missed "Seen"
  9. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,053
    The only thing I rail against is having to play back-to-back (and maybe again to-back?) top tier teams. I think that doesn't help the cause to win them all, or at least having a better record than your division rivals. Otherwise yes, TV has a lot to do with it and I am okay with that. Being the focus of college football is a good thing.

Hijack alert...what I REALLY get ticked about is how the strength of schedule (or lack there of) goes a LONG ways in the early rankings of the teams. We are Top 10 because we have a good team but a tough schedule. UGA is a Top 5 team because...their schedule looks winnable. THAT is not right. Wait until the 5th week to rank teams.
  10. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    Three are a lot of great ideas floating around in this thread. Good points.

But I will tell you this, after watching SEC Football for over 50 years... there are two things contained in all of the above comments that one cannot sweep away.

Ask:

1. Over the last 50 years... how many times has Georgia played Alabama? Someone find out that answer and compare THAT number with how many times has Alabama played say, South Carolina or other non-yearly rivals.

Look at the long term history between these two teams and then ask yourself:
    "Hmmmm... I WONDER why Alabama and Georgia have played each other so little?"

You will be amazed. It's not that they played last in 2008 or whatever. Look at what the ADs of each school have done, over the decades...just to NOT play each other!!

Dooley and Bryant were smart. They knew better. The real joke is that they were able to GET AWAY with it for decades. The same with Goff and other head coaches at Jawja and Bammy that came later... they got away with it!

And folks... these are two nationally known and respected schools in the same conference... whose borders touch each other!!! The two states are neighbors!!

2. Why is it harmful to being playing LSU and other juggernauts each year... along with Miami AND FSU?

Because you get beat up... dinged up EARLY in the year. Your best running back gets a high ankle sprain... your quarterback gets taken out of a game (remember what happened to Driskel?)

People naturally want to see the best go against the best. "More bang for your buck."
    I can promise you that our entire coaching staff wants to beat every opponent into the ground... but a football season is a marathon...not a sprint.
    Our staff would rather be fresh to play FSU AND THE SECCG... beat the snot outta them than to play Miami, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina before them...

Wait... we will be doing that...

Once again... check out how many times has Alabama played Georgia over the last 40 years!

And...believe me folks... there is a real reason why this exact thing has happened.
    And I can promise you that there have been key people in key places that have MADE SURE that this has happened.

I truly don't give a rat's butt what any Bammy fan thinks or says. One CANNOT hide the fact of what they have done over the decades... especially when it comes to playing Georgia on a repeatable basis.
    From obnoxiously visible holding too many times I have lost count... to shady scheduling... the "Good Ole Boy Network" is alive and well on 2201 Richard Arrington. Blvd.

To us, as fans...we want to see great games.
    To ANY coaching staff... they want to be fresh and be 12-0 come bowl season.
    Just ask Urban Meyer...
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    That's more for the ColloquialismNazi.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Given that South Carolina has not been in the SEC for the last 50 years, I think that would be a fairly silly comparison.

From 1990-2013 Florida, South Carolina and Georgia have each played Alabama 8 times in the regular season.

Vanderbilt has played them 16 times.

Kentucky has played them 6 times.
  13. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    BINGO

So we play better and tougher games...... O darn

This isn't Tallacrappy
  14. DeBigLeezard

Ratings Received:
    +349
    You are correct about South Carolina. My mistake.
    I was trying to name a team that Alabama or Georgia has NOT played on a yearly basis.... since the 70's. (From 1990 to 2013...is only 23 years.

Lets look more long term...go back twenty more years. That really gives a clearer picture of the avoidance that Bammy and Georgia performed.
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Okay, just went 20 more years.

Florida played them 8 times, Georgia 6.

So in the last 45 years or so

Florida: 16, Georgia 14 times

so ... ?
  16. DeBigLeezard

Ratings Received:
    +349
    Hey everyone... don't get me wrong...
    I want to play tough games. I am not going to drive six hours to Gainesville and want to watch the Gators play "The Weak Sisters of Slippery Rock State."

But, at the same time... I DO want some BALANCE in our schedule. We may play 11 or 12 tough teams and beat every one of them. But that takes a toll on a team... physically, mentally and emotionally. Go out and play LSU at Tiger Stadium with Mike roaring in your face, drunk LSU fans shouting at you.

And travel to Jordan Hare and play there the NEXT weekend.
    Try doing that having midterms in Physics or even Economics 101 with Dave Denslow and see how tough it is. You cannot even walk to class.
    Believe me... "....getting the best bang for your buck... is not in any player's head.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    All-time

Georgia has played Alabama 66 times.

Florida has played them 36 times.

This includes SEC championship games.
  18. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +238
    I think that guy and his conspiracy theory just got owned....again. But, I give them credit for perseverance.
  19. lurkingator1

lurkingator1 -,~--~,< … Go Gators, Living among the savages Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,815
    no way to prove it , but living here in north Fla I can tell you that UGA and Bama have a very respectful and friendly rivalry if you can even call it that , while both fan bases Hate UF
  20. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    No.

They expect the puppies to blow it somehow, every year. The avoidance of making the mutts play gump is to protect gump, not the other way around. For MANY years a bammer schedule was guaranteed to have Ole Miss, MSU and VANDY as yearly opponents. They wanted Vandy in their division BADLY in the first reshuffle in '92. If they had their way entirely, they would have a different divisional alignment that gave them all SEc cupcakes, all the time.

How'd ya like an SEC North w/ gump, Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri.

The SEC front office mentality is to expose gump to possible defeat as little as is humanly possible.