Things looking suspicious at UNC (Hairston)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Jul 6, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Not sure if you all have been following this story much, but Eric Prisbell (USA Today) just released another story about the latest with PJ Hairston that make things look a little odd when it comes to PJ's relationship with a guy who calls himself a "party promoter." Not sure if it matters or not, but this guy is also a convicted felon.

My short version of this story is that PJ (UNC's leading scorer last year and best player going into next year) was arrested in June driving a rental car that had drugs and a gun in it. The rental car was a GMC Yukon that cost 1200 dollars over a three day period. I rent from Hertz a lot (it was a Hertz rental) and do know they have cars that cost that much. I'm surprised to see that a Yukon fell into that category though. Either way, eventually the guy who rented the car came forward and said he rented it for a friend of PJ's - who happened to also be in the car during the arrest. Sounds convinient, but could be true I guess.

Well, now it comes out that PJ was given a speeding ticket in May while driving a rented Camero SS that HAPPENS to have been rented by the woman the "party promoter" lives with. She rented the car for 54 days for a bill of over 3k.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rston-haydn-thomas-camaro-rental-car/2495483/

Few questions for you guys:

1) What are the odds/chances that this guy isn't renting these cars for the guy (PJ Hairston) that has twice been arrested/cited while driving them? Okay, that's a dumb question and the answer is obvious. Anyone disagree?

2) UNC fans I know are hiding behind the fact that this "party promoter" isn't known to be an agent OR a UNC booster. Does this matter? Wouldn't this mean I could rent, or hell - lease, a Porsche for Julius Randle next year and its all good? If so, I'd say Hill and Walker could probably use some new wheels now that they're at Florida. One of you needs to get on that! Am I wrong, or doesnt that seem like its an impermissible benefit no matter who its coming from. I remember Rondo, while at UK, was driving a new Yukon that was being loaned to him by Derrick Anderson. Evidently the only reason this wasn't a problem was because the they are cousins. Seems to me this would support my suspicion that its not allowed otherwise.

SHOCKINGLY - at least so far, the party promoter says he has not been contacted by UNC or the NCAA (as if they're two different entities...)
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    Good find, REM. Wonder how Ol' Roy will get him out of this one.
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    What's Calipari's involvement in this?
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    might be a way schools can 'avoid' involvement. a provider that isn't an agent or booster = new way to coddle the stars. maybe a promoter for each star, that moves on as the player's agent in the future?

so there's zero connection between the school boosters and the promoter? does he get to do booster functions on the side? what's his angle? there's probably some sort of money trail or future pay-out/score for him?

I would think the school's compliance officer should be all over this and give the boot to the party promoter. anytime you see flashy cars in the lot, it should raise a red flag. and warrant an investigation.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

I don't doubt the NCAA is looking into this as we speak...

Bogey - I agree and would think a university as holier than thou as UNC (constantly pumping "the carolina way") would jump all over this. Of course, I thought this before we all became aware of the blatant academic fraud going on at that school for the past couple decades.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +756
    I am still shocked that Calipari is still not busted on something. Oh that's right usually the hammer comes down AFTER he leaves a program.
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    It's all Urban Meyer's fault.

Seriously, how does UNC get away with this? They commit academic fraud and allow their football and basketball players to remain eligible by taking fraudelent courses in African-American studies for years and suffer no loss of scholarships, bowls, loss of victories, .... and now apparently their players drive around year round in leased vehicles, whether a supporter of the program or not. Reggie Bush type scenario or a University of Miami type scenario where players are given financial support by others surriounding the program.

Shows that the NCAA will not go after certain programs.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Where's Biff to lead the charge?
  9. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    He was brought in to get Hairston his bogus SAT scores. :ninja:
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    You nailed it. Not only does the NCAA stay away, many of the most prolific investigative reporters who salivate over catching certain programs - haven't written a word about any of this (Thamel - who has written about Urban Meyer/UF recently, Forde, Goodman, ONeil and Parrish). Wont' hear a word from them on this. Not sure I've seen a tweet either. And really, how low does the bar have to be set to warrant a simple tweet?
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
  13. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Actually, the BIGGEST worry UNC might have is found in this article that just hit a few days ago:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/20/3044746/unc-faculty-leader-pushed-rewrite.html

Someone please explain to me how that isn't enough for the NCAA to jump all over this.