Things I like and don't like (football edition)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatorologist, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    In this thread I am going to give one thing I like and one thing I don't like about four different components of UF Football (O, D, ST, C). And I invite you to do the same. Basic guidelines:
    1) Nothing negative about an individual player
    2) must be balanced in quantity ( 1 for 1) and quality/degree.

Offense:
    I like the decisiveness of TM; I dislike lack of OL technique

Defense:
    Our aggressiveness: Our lack of discipline, both behavior and assignments (sides of same coin I know)

ST:
    We hit like Mack trucks: We kick like a Prius

Coaching:
    On D we take chances on players/plays: On O we do neither

What do you have to say?
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    Can't disagree with anything you wrote.

I like TM's pocket presence and awareness.

I don't like that RBs never seem to survive first contact with the enemy. Our yards after contact in the ground game are lamentable. It's almost as if they're coached to go straight down if there's not a nice wide hole for them to run through.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279

Offense:
    I like the different types of plays that Pease as designed for our team. Lot's of very creative formations and motion/s. I wish we weren't so damned predictable and boring in our play-calling, although most of the time we're okay in that department.

Defense: I love our intensity and nastiness. But I wish we played in a more controlled and well disciplined way - we commit too many personal fouls.

Special Teams:On kickoffs we seem to do okay getting to the runner. We need to fix our kickers' psyche... I know they're both (punter & kicker) good it's just mental, which is fixable, IMHO.

Coaching:
    I like our designed sets on both sides of the ball. I just wish we could execute these plays better. Containing the runner around the end should never break-down, that is coaching. Middle of the defensive line runs need to be coached up... too many runs right up the middle. Has to be coaching because we can man-up with any team in college football physically. More coaching I despise is the white rags that all our defensive players seem to need hanging off of their hip. That makes our team look bush-league, rag-tag. I Wish our coaches made them wear gloves if they need them instead of the rags that look like crap, and that very few other teams' players seem to need. Fix the discipline problems on penalties.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Think almost everything was covered, but I would get more specific about defensive discipline. We weren't wrapping up, especially in the first half. Sometimes we were missing tackles completely, not even getting a hand on a ball carrier when we had him cut off. That said, we held the SEC's leading rushing to 54 yards, most of which he got on one carry. If Collins can't gash us, who can?
  5. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,632
    We also had (gave away) four first downs due to penalties, personal fouls as I recall. Some were ticky-tacky I thought, but need to be addressed.
  6. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Offense: I like that we finally throw down the field more. I dislike that we still only do it like 2-3 times a game

Defense: I like how we are creating turnovers and sacks. I dislike all the penalties.

Special teams: I like our kick coverage. I dislike that we cant seem to generate yards on punt returns

Coaching: I like that Muschamp is a defensive guy. I dislike that he won't let Pease call games the way he wants.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zanso

Zanso Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    I dislike how we play our starters for the entire game when we really should have our backup qb/rb out late in the 4th.
  8. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    I like that some of you get the idea of this thread; I don't like that some of you can only be negative.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,195
    O: Like TM @ QB & the receivers beginning to be more aggressive (I credit Joker here) Not Like never throwing from the Wildcat

D: Like Overall performance Not Like seems like they take a while to focus and that gets us in a hole on points or field position

ST: Like the punt coverage Not Like the punt/kick game

C: Like gradually opening the playbook to meet experience/capability Not Like I want open practices at least for the media (even with strict restrictions)
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    Off the top of my head, any team with half-way decent running backs whose offensive lineman are allowed to hold with impunity. But we don't have any teams like that scheduled this year.
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    Like the Qbs decision making under pressure, don't like the pressure.

Like the WRs YAC, don't like the RBs YAC.

Like the kick coverage, don't like some of the kicks.

Like the most of the fourth quarters, don't like most of the first quarters.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I like when we score and win.

I don't like when we play poorly and lose.
  13. vinogator

vinogator Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Dislike: How we still have a QB that voluntarily runs out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he had plenty of time to throw it out of bounds.