1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

They lost but they won't give up.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatormb, Oct 18, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Actually it is a freedom from religion as well, though with notable exceptions and much division.

Question, how many of those protestors were Christians not wanting to extend such tolerance to Muslims who wanted to build the Park51 community center a few blocks away from ground zero?
  2. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    Considering what that cross is a symbol of, it's no wonder they have those manifestations. Maybe they realize that if their worldview is wrong they will have no recourse.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,091
    I know, right. I can say the same thing about the atheists and all of their BS... hatred.

Besides that - Freedom OF Religion trumps that stupid argument.
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +824
    Seems like a pretty silly fight. I don't go by atheist, but I'm certainly not religious. I generally say non-religious, as opposed to anti-religious. I'm all for you being religious, I just don't go for it. Don't force it on me. In return I won't force my thoughts on you. On the other hand, I try to be anti-A-hole, regardless of religion. These kind of fights tend to bring out the A-holes from every corner. I'm not attacking my fellow posters here. It's worthy of discussion.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to display this in a 9/11 museum. Just as I would find it perfectly legitimate if a more complex structure emerged from the rubble, like a symbol of another religion or, say, a pentagram. Even if federal funds are involved. So long as it is presented essentially as "Look what we found when we dug through the destruction" and not "See, this proves that <religion of choice> is the one!" As far as I know it's the former. So the atheists should probably give it a rest on this one.

Also, I think it should be noted that this is one organization. I dare say that most atheists aren't affiliated with it and probably do indeed find this of little to no interest.

They have better (valid) fights to fight.
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I'm an atheist and these guys are just silly. A symbol only has the meaning that you personally ascribe to it. Obviously, they are ascribing a whole lot.

Take Jesus for example. You can think of him as the Messiah or as a bean farmer down in Mexico.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,055
    Im not a full blown atheist, more like a "show me proof" kind of guy that thinks there will never be any proof to change my beliefs.

With that said, the cross doesn't offend me and it doesn't offend me at Ground Zero. Im all for letting religious folks do their thing if thats what they believe in.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,091
    Agnostic.
  8. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Atheists are people who toss and turn at night worried that there may be a God.
  9. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    if they take out the cross and I'm offended by that, can I sue?