The World's End

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Aug 23, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with this summer's movies, though I intentionally stayed home from most of them. I guess I shouldn't bitch about movies I didn't see, but there just weren't many that caught my imagination. The World's End is the exception. I'm dying to see it. It sounds like everything I wanted to see in all those other movies, buddy comedy, action, paranormal phenomena and some sort of post apocalypse. Best of all, it sounds thought provoking and intelligent. Edgar Wright is the only director in the world who could pulls this off, especially with Simon Pegg helping him write it and play the lead with Nick Frost there as his sidekick.

Whoever sees it this weekend, chime in. I'll try to, but got a lot of stuff going on with the kids going back to college. Maybe my daughter and I will see it together before she flies back to Bean Town. It's fun seeing good movies with a film major. Plus she's a huge Edgar Wright fan. Probably on his Twitter feed right now.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    I have been disappointed as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    can't wait for this one. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost were on comedy bang bang and i was laughing so hard i'm prety sure the people in the cars around me called the cops,
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    They say this is the best of the "trilogy" and Simon Pegg's best performance ever. Loved this last bit from the review in The Atlantic.

The World's End: An Apocalyptic Delight

This sums up Edgar Wright's signature as a director.

Someone tell me again why we shouldn't read what film critics write? That single sentence will guarantee my presence and my wife's absence. My daughter likes dismemberments whether it's balanced with humor or not. Fair warning to whomever she marries.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    I will be seeing this one just not sure I will do it in the theater. I rarely see movies outside my house anymore but I do want to see this one. I also do hope we get an Edgar Wright movie in the Marvel Universe whether Ant Man or another character.

How can you not love this guy?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,966
    It's not showing in my local theater this weekend. I'm disappointed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,999
    Well, they DID say it was the end of the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    Wright's movies tend to start on a limited number of screens, but creep into deeper distribution based on word of mouth and good per-screen showing. I think the issue right now is we need to get the dumb summer movies out of the way. Give it a week or two. I was surprised that our little suburban theater got it first week in, though we are considered an "artsy' suburb, lots of mini-vans with hipster-ish bumper stickers. Our slogan is "The town so cute, you'll want to puke."
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    Just saw it. Great, great movie. Not just funny, but really exciting, surprising dramatic tension and great character development. It had a slightly more serious tone to it, but that gave it more of a roller coaster feel to it. The soundtrack was awesome featuring great late eighties, early nineties British rock, dance and even goth tracks. If they're selling a soundtrack, it would be the best since the John Hughes movies.

His movies aren't usually for everyone, mainly because of the gore, but this one was a different kind of gore (hard to explain without spoiling). Not saying you should take your kids, but I am recommending it to my wife who was very put off by the disembowelment scenes in Shawn of the Dead.

Pegg and Frost might be the best film comedy duo since the fifties or sixties. Their characters are different in every film, but they always manage to have great chemistry.
  10. MdlGator

MdlGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Saw it. Loved it. But not surprising since I like Edgar wright and Simon Pegg is on of my favorite actors. Very funny, clever writing too.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    Best writing of the trilogy by far. Simon Pegg has co-writing credits, so that might be the reason. I think he took the reigns on Gary King, who was the most complex character and the one who the other characters developed around. He probably wrote the dialogue between him and Andy (Nick Frost's character).

One last comment on the music. If you're making a apocalyptic film set in the UK built around characters who came of age in the eighties, you couldn't pick a better piece of music than This Corrosion by the Sisters of Mercy for the climax and title sequence. Played it at home as soon as I got home from the theater.
  12. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Can you understand 'em, guys? My ONLY problem with the Brits is that sometimes their accents are just too tough. I miss things.
  13. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    the comedy bang bang podcast
  14. MdlGator

MdlGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I used to have more of a problem with the accent then I lived in Scotland for a year and a half and watched English TV now no problem. That is why people in Europe who understand English have such little problem with the American Accent, they watch our TV and movies all the time.
  15. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    My wife has that problem. We have to put on close captioning for British (English!) films. They invented the language for Christ's sake. Why do we need subtitles?

I once roomed with a guy from Leeds and his girlfriend from Manchester. I no longer park my car in a garage. I park it in a gairedge. I don't eat to-may-toes. I eat tomotoes. I don't saw "That's awesome." I say "Brilliant." Why in the world do we say "I have to go to the bathroom" when we're going to a place with no bath and no intention of bathing. We're going to "The Toilet" or "The Lew."
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    I lived with an aussie and a brit and I could understand them just fine until they got drunk. Then no chance