The Wall and Plus One

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Emmitto14050, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Emmitto14050

Emmitto14050 Roxanne: Laser Pointer Hunter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    I recently watched a couple of pretty cool movies that I had never heard of thanks to Netflix recommendations. Normally Netflix is spotty at best with the recommendations but occasionally they lead you to some gems you might not consider otherwise.

The Wall -- it's German but it's in English, for some reason. A lady finds herself inexplicably trapped behind an invisible wall, ala Under the Dome. Unlike Dome, she's alone and cut off from all other people. A lot of reviews complain that it's "slow." I suppose that's true, as she has no one to speak to (although she narrates throughout, reading from a journal she writes to document her experience.) But I think a better description is "contemplative." She's forced to ponder what it means to be human, and what her connection with the non-human world is. If you never spoke to another person again, would you remain human, or become something else? Better or worse? Would you retain the will to live? Or is that instinctual, not a choice? There are a couple of plot points that involve the animals she comes to rely on (dog, cat, cow, calf) that are just devastating.

Plus One -- a group of young adults at a party find that they have duplicates who are showing up and living the same lives but about a half hour behind. From time to time there is a "shift" and the timelines get closer and appear to be converging. What will happen when they meet? What would you do if there were another "you" walking around? Is that threatening or cool? One character mentions that the Talmud says "to meet yourself is to meet God." Another responds that in his book meeting God means your dead! I don't know if the Talmud really does say that and if it does, what it means, but the movie explores that concept. In addition one character is trying to take advantage of the situation to try to mend his relationship with his girlfriend (either version), making some questionable choices that could potentially affect everyone.

Although both of these movies seem like they include heavy doses of sci-fi, they really don't. The wall and whatever causes the dopplegangers are really just devices to facilitate character studies (IMO.) Kind of like Signs is really not about aliens.

Anyway, perhaps some of you would enjoy one or both of these. And if you've seen them I'd love to hear what you thought.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082

Cool. I am not so sure how 'spotty' netflix is, but I do believe that they have a really advanced software, as does amazon regarding matching preferences/likes with their collections. Of course I doubt it'll ever hit 100% since aesthetic taste can be really fickle but I suspect they might be doing a pretty good job.