The tired topic. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 29, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,001
    He also addressed this and said they made a decision to keep everything in front of them rather than give up a deep pass. Miller had a contested mid court heave with his foot nearly out of bounds. 99 times out of a hundred, those things sail wide or high off the glass. He was lucky to get it so close.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,730

Also remember the guy is trying to draw a foul so you don't crowd him too close. Let him heave from way past half court and if they beat you that way you still did the right thing.
  3. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Fair enough. Glad to hear Billy's comments. I was sprinting out of there so I didn't hear his post game show.
  4. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    Yeah, exactly this. I get it when we are down one or two, but when the game is tied, there's no reason to call a play that is going to have some forced passes involved. You're one steal away from losing the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    I thought to myself that Scottie looked like EW.
    He had such a poor game (I'm not saying EW was a poor player btw). Missing FT, turnovers, worse game I have seen him play offensively since last year. He was stellar on defense though.
    I get what AKA is saying about what we looked like at the end of the game.
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    I'll give up a half-court desperation heave with no foul any day. Not sure what exactly you wish we'd done.
  7. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Lack of good options on offense was, to me, a theme throughout the game. FSU both overplayed the on-ball screens up high and obviously had the bulk and length to pack their defense inside the key. Lot of flatfootedness, guys not moving to spaces that offered good shots, with the result of too many dribble-drives into the trees. I thought the staff could have done a little better job making adjustments in this area at halftime. Impressive aggressiveness on the offensive boards throughout the game helped compensate.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,001
    Well, it was his second game this season, so it isn't hard for him to have his worst game since last year. But the kid had two turnovers against eight assists in 38 minutes played, he missed two freakin' free throws late in a second half when he had all of 30 seconds on the bench, and he was the only player outside of Prather regularly getting any dribble penetration despite there being no space in the paint whatsoever due to our lack of court spacing at the four.
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    That was my thought also. Thought SW would drive the basket and at least get free throws instead of settling for a jump shot. Thankfully Prather took out 2 defenders and Finney-Smith got the rebound and hit a foul shot.
  10. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    What bugged me about his few minutes of lack of focus was that I could see them coming. I don't know if it was his body language, but I could tell he wasn't going to make those free throws, and that a turn over was coming.
    Maybe I have a sixth sense idk.
  11. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    End of Game in close games, unless you have a real go-to guy, like Julius Randle, Larry Bird or Michael Jordan (Note, I am not comparing them, different kinds of players) is always a difficult process, and it necessarily varies according to the type of team you are playing and who is hot for you.

Unfortunately, through the years, the Gators have not exhibited a high percentage of victories in such situations.

Perhaps this year, the Gators will have the type of luck the Auburn football team has received recently in their miraculous victories over Georgia and Alabama.
  12. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Ideally, we should shoot with 4-5 seconds left. That would allow a couple of seconds to get a rebound and put-back (or foul, like in the FSU game), but not enough for the other team to go full court and score.
  13. gregthegator

gregthegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398
    yep...this time...w/a little help from a zebra...which you won't get away from home....and last years results bear out this really is NOT the best option...

what is I don't know...but Gator's LAST shot before end of halves/games still needs a LITTLE work.
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    What help from the zebra? Scottie took a shot, missed, DFS went and got it and was fouled.
  15. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    Agreed, having the pg control the ball down to the 10 sec mark and then try to get a shot has seemed to have been the design around here for a while

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  16. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    ^ this

We WON. NEXT!
  17. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +638
    This exactly. It's been a bit of an issue the last few years. I think if we play a little better d and make ft's that will take care of itself