The tired topic. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 29, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    I guess I just didn't see the terrible game Wilbekin supposedly had tonight. He was outstanding defensively and created a ton of looks for others (8 assists, no turnovers). He didn't have a good game finishing, but neither did the rest of the team. What hurt him was that he could get penetration all night long, but there was no space for him to finish or pass in the paint once he got there because our bigs weren't creating it. That is going to be a continued problem when 70 of your 80 post minutes are eaten up by Young, Yeguete, and Kurtz, none of which can really space the floor for you. As soon as we can shift some guys "up" in the lineup (more Wilbekin at the two, more Frazier and Walker at the three, more DFS and Prather at the four), then that paint will unclog a great deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,702
    You want the ball in your PGs hand usually because he is your best ball handler. From there you take what you can while not leaving any time on the clock and definitely not turning the ball over. I would like to see us do a little better bu Scottie finished it nice at the end of the first half in the last game.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I agree with your thoughts here. It wasn't a bad shot, but I think we all knew it'd end up looking pretty much like that. Its to the point there I think Donovan calls for someone to have the ball up top, everyone else give him room and try and get the best jumper you can.

At some point within the minute or two before then, a beautiful sequence was run that ended up with a great look for Frazier for 3 - happened so naturally. Big difference here was that there was no specific time table for a shot. So...why not draw up a specific play that involves passes and screens? Its not hard to draw up a play that ends up giving your point guard a couple of different options. Its easy to say this is probably what Donovan did, but it doesn't explain why most every time ends up looking the same. Could it be Donovan is great at instituting a system of offense but that drawing up a somewhat complicated play for a last second shot isn't a strong suit?
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +548
    I agree for the most part, but I think Scottie could have finished on a lot of those drives. Think he can convert a lot more of those normally. Just chalk it up to variance.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Maybe. Then again, he draws up great plays on baseline out of bounce situations, so I don't think he is somehow incapable of doing it. Seems more like he has a philosophical bent toward spreading the floor and allowing his ball handlers to create for themselves in these situations, which gives them freedom to execute without the constraint of the clock (as it would be in our half court sets).
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    That should be two turnovers.
  7. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    5 steals too.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    One other thought is why we would run things through the point guard rather than, say, a play for Prather (who was so effective scoring and getting to the line tonight). The main reason I think is that the worst-case scenario in a half court sequence at the end of the game is a turnover going the other way in a potential fast break situation. The most important thing is to get a good shot off with as little time as possible left on the clock. If you put the ball in someone else's hands who isn't a passer or doesn't take great care of the ball, you have far greater risk of a turnover. Wilbekin--like Boynton, Walker, and Calathes before him--commits very few turnovers, is a threat to score with his mid range jumper, get to the rack, or dish if help comes and there is a passing lane.
  9. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Bigger concern for me was almost blowing a 9 pt lead with 3 minutes to go. Think Wilbekin may have been gassed late in the game. His 2 misses from the line really were huge. FSU seemed to hit every free throw.

Agree with Bullis that we definitely need Hill back. Something seemed to be missing and it was a lack of a second shooter.

Going to be tough to win the next 3 games. At a minimum we need to win 1 of those games, 2 to position ourselves for a top seed come tournament time.
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,702

Nope!
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Donovan talks about this just before then 5:00 mark in his post game presser. He said timing was right, but Wilbekin didn't make the right read on the play. DFS was open at the top of the key and Wilbekin should have either passed to DFS or rounded the corner to the rim.
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Agreed. . . Which is sort of my point. Rarely over the course of a game do we run full possession iso plays. And as to the timing. . .we inbounded at half court with 24 seconds left. That is about as much time as we would see in any normal possession. Look, I'm not arguing the play. But for years we have heard speculation that Walker, Roberson, Boynton or whatever name you seek to fill in . . . executed the play poorly, or were being selfish. I think it is apparent that the ball is staying in the pgs hand by design.
  13. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Lol! Come back to this board when it doesn't. It will look a lot different.
  14. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    These are my thoughts, but stated a bit better. As rserina said though. . .i do not think it has anything to do with billy not having the ability to draw up such a play. I think he makes it simple for reasons related to risk/reward. I think he prefers the ball in his pgs hand and wants to virtually eliminate the possibility of a turnover. Which is fine. But it has been discussed on here for years... With one contention being that we are mis-executing. But as you said. . .we have seen this so many times that it can not be poor execution every single time. If it is . . . That would be a problem. For better or worse... Tonight, better... This is his approach to these scenarios.
  15. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I was more interested in the fact that we didn't guard the guy throwing the ball in on their last second shot. With Pelphrey sitting on our bench you would think we would always do that.
  16. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Lol.... Interesting observation. Though I think the circumstances made it less likely for the homerun type pass, but instead the easier inbound like we saw and a half court shot. In that case, I think it makes sense to defend the potential shooters.
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,702
    Play the percentages. Let the guy heave from past half court vs let them throw a home run and the possibility of a closer shot. Always take the former imo.
  18. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    You both are probably right but with 1.3 seconds left that is almost certainly a 2 man game anyway so why not make it harder? That kid got WAY too good of a look in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    I see what you are saying, though I still don't believe 22 seconds on a sidelines out of bounds against a set defense is enough to run our sets and still have a late pick and roll as a bailout.
  20. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Hall, that is the story in a nutshell. We have the lead. One does not risk relinquishing the ball AT ANY COST. Go for the foul in the lane if ya can. Quite difficult tonight though with their shot blocking bigs..but in the end, our hustle won out...case closed.