The tired topic. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 29, 2013.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    We saw it again tonight. . . .and end game situation with same ending. Scottie held the ball out front until just under 10 seconds before creating is own shot. It has been debated often, and I am starting to question my position. It is becoming increasingly difficult to suggest that virtually every time. . . a different play was drawn, but either denied or just not executed. As simplistic as it may seem, I think billy does not like the all to leave his pgs hands I'm these scenarios. I just find it odd that our offense, which is predicated on screens, ball rotation and movement, seems content to space it out and isolate at crunch time. If Scottie took that same shot during the game, he would have been benched. But here, it almost seems the plan. Granted, I am watering this down a bit... But not much. Our offensive philosophy seems to entirely change in these scenarios.
    Thoughts?
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,113
    I think Billy preaches to make sure to not leave any time on the clock for the opposition in a tied-game situation.

This makes it hard usually to take anything other than an off-balanced or contested one.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,285
    Need Hill back so we can slide SW off the ball some and get him some spot up 3's....not only is Kasey a better finisher in lane already than SW (who has always struggled finishing in the lane) but it allows SW to become a shooter, which we need another of.....once Hill healthy, the O will look a lot different IMO, and he is a guy, even as a FR, that more often than not will get us a good shot in end of half/game scenarios
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    First of all, why would you run a play with more than ten seconds when the game is tied? You bleed the clock and get one good look. Second, you are crazy if you think Wilbekin would have been benched for taking a pull-up from 12 feet. He has hit that shot repeatedly. It was a decent look against a team packing the paint. And, for the record, I think there was some confusion on that play from the screener, who backed off. Not sure what happened there.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    Completely agree. Wilbekin doesn't shoot off the high ball screen well at all, but he is great in spot up situations.
  6. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Exactly. I was yelling for them to do that. I felt comfortable with overtime, with our 3 point shooting. I just didn't want to see them get a shot at the end of regulation. Of course, they almost made a half court shot as it was.
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I'm not saying take a shot. . .we do not initiate offense until under 10 seconds. Those are two very different things. I think you know that.
    Also, the shot was fine alone would not have had him benched... But a possession in which not a pass was made, and somewhat toughies jumper was settled for . . . That would have gotten him benched.
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    Wow. . . Sorry. A lot of typos up there and can't edit. Anyway, hope it made sense.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    To the first, if our plan was to run a single screen or some kind of iso, then we can initiate that inside of ten seconds. To the second, it all depends upon what play was called, which neither of us know. I suspect it was a ball screen, but either FSU played something differently or whoever the ball side screener was (Young?) backed off.
  10. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I am more concerned with Scottie's decision-making in general from about 3:00 in. He tends to over-dribble and puts himself in bad situations when he penetrates. All the more reason a second ball-handler will make a big difference when Hill returns. The last shot was actually a decent look. He just hasn't proven to be a great finisher in those late situations.
  11. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I agree it was the right move in this situation, but we also do this at halftime when there's no benefit to taking a bad shot. If the points per possession are .2 when we do this and 1.2 when we don't and the other team goes from 0 to .5, then we should at least at halftime just run the offense and take the net points we'd gain instead of wasting the possession.
  12. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    At least it wasn't a last second shot and we had time for a put back
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    I can see that argument, though I suspect Donovan has some valid reason for not doing so.
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    I'm okay with it tonight. The score was tied, so the best strategy is to milk it down to the point where you're going to get essentially the last shot. Scottie got a pretty good look at the hoop, he just didn't make it. But the strategy worked anyway. We got the rebound and they had to foul us. Game over, man, as the guy said in Aliens.

Now if you're behind, you want to run a play and get a good shot as quickly as possible, so that if you miss, you might have time to get more chances.
  15. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He's conservative like most coaches in that situation, but the numbers bear out that teams should just run the offense. There's only one team in the NBA whose offensive numbers don't dip in crunch and super-crunch time (less than 5 minutes to go, game within 5 points, and less than 2 minutes to go). That's the team that has Chris Paul as their PG because he plays the same way every possession.
  16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    For the record, I am not disputing the suggestion of taking the final shot with little or no time left. That is obvious. But being 30 feet from the hoop with 9 seconds left and very little movement.... It is contrary to our offense in every other way and scenario.
  17. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Well, it's just his second game back, and he's put together one great game (JU) and one...well, one not-so-great. He really was a strong finisher against the Dolphins. So we'll see if he can adjust his game up to the higher level of competition.
  18. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +695
    And yet it worked and we got the win.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    But in a sideline out of bounds situation against a set defense with 20 seconds, you probably aren't going to have time to run your offense. Our sets in the halfcourt take 20+ seconds, with a high ball screen once the shot clock gets under 15 seconds.
  20. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I thought it was fine. We got really good penetration where we usually get jammed at the 3 point line.