The tech on Prather was a joke

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by your_perfect_enemy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
    Just watched it again. Some observations: those who claimed the ref called it while he was dunking were incorrect. It was clearly a measured decision by the midcourt ref, who was far away from the action. His angle was directly in line with the direction Prather took through the hoop. I understand why the ref thought he hung excessively, because of his angle. Looking at the play, though, I feel exactly how I did when watching it the first time. Casey did not hang to the extent that a technical foul was merited. It was a chicken scratch call all the way and if the game was on the line, I seriously doubt any Gator fan would claim the call was correct.
  2. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I'll try to explain by way of analogy. In the NFL, it is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty to somersault into the end zone with no defender around. It's a judgement call on the part of the official.

Same with rim hanging dunks. The official determines whether it was necessary or gratuitous.
  3. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
    To earn an unsportsmanlike foul per your analogy, he would have to do more than he did. A somersault might be compared to a 360 or windmill, but Prather did nothing of the sort. He dunked and completed the play. Have seen that play performed and not called way more often than called. That's all. If we disagree based upon a millisecond worth of hanging, I understand and can deal with that. Will leave it there.
  4. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I'm not lobbying for the rule. And Prather had enough hang time that Billy lit into him after that play. I think Billy was right to do that.
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Do you have a link? I haven't been able to see the replay.
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    It was the pull up that got him.

And Billy wasn't just coaching up without mentioning the tech free throws, and how that may have affected the remaining gameplan.
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Did anyone notice the much higher pull-up on the rim that the Michigan kid, Stauskas, did that wasn't called a T, and think about this thread? Yeah, there was a UK player there, but there was no reason for Stauskas to pull his head up to the rim (less reason than Prather who did need to slow his momentum).

I probably should take a GatorCountry break :cool:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/30/ni...-the-lead/nik-stauskas-dunk-against-kentucky/
  8. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    Reg, I came in to this thread just to mention that. I kind of laughed when it happened. I definitely noticed it.
  9. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
  10. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    There is a reason they are called judgement calls.
    No one was anywhere close to the basket, so hard to justify the pull-up.
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    Thought I'd post this. Never gets old!

• Like Like x 5
  12. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    # 25 from uk was right under Stauskas' butt when he dunked. He had good cause to hang on.
  13. LabraGator

LabraGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    We would have lived at the free throw line if they called that same technical on Greg Oden. Hell, he did a pull up and slapped the back board on every dunk.
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    ...but, absolutely no reason to do a pull-up where the top of his head was at rim level. His dunk was a straight up & down dunk - no forward momentum to arrest. Prather had much more cause to not just leave his arms straight and swing freely, because if he had done that and lost his grip, he would have fallen on his backside. And, the argument someone proffered that Prather shouldn't have driven to the hoop so fast is, of course, absurd! o_O

Not that I give a whit (you can change the w to an s if you want to :cool:) about Stauskas' pull-up. I'd prefer refs never make the call if they can find any excuse not to.
  15. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    The reason to hang on the rim (or "pull up" to keep oneself from coming down) is because he cannot ensure that when he drops from the rim, he will not fall on top of another player...he needs to be able to safely reach the ground. The refs almost always swallow the whistle in that situation because it is about player safety. If another player is near the basket this rarely gets called
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Yeah, I remember us getting called for one when there was a player right under our guy who just hung on the rim (no big pull-up) - I think it was a Yeguete dunk.

The only reason for that big pull-up by Stauskas was to "add a little mustard to the hot dog." Again, I had no problem with it except relative to Prather's minimal "mustard" that drew the T.

In the case of Stauskas, I liked that the ref swallowed the whistle, because the ref could make a case that another player was nearby & player safety is paramount (as you say), so let it go.

In Prather's dunk, the ref (if he were so inclined) could make a case (a very valid case) that Prather needed to pull back on the rim to offset the rather large forward momentum he had, so, again, let it go.
  17. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    Give it up, Re.

No other player was around.

It's a done deal anyway, so I just hope Casey doesn't repeat offend next game, and hopefuly, the one after that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Hey, I haven't quit complaining about the personal foul one of our receivers got against Miami in the Sugar Bowl a decade or so ago for making the first down signal after a catch. So far, I've counted several thousand players doing the same since then with no flag thrown. Makes me burn every time I see it again :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Sorry guys didn't read the whole thread but I agree with this take, except that after watching it again I would change "could have possibly" to "would have probably" in the post.

He was clearly trying to avoid smashing his forehead into the lower corner of the backboard as he came down and that's why he pulled up, to shift his momentum.

I can sort of understand the call in the heat of the moment but if you watch it again with the benefit of slo-mo replay, it was a bad call. He was not showboating, he was literally "saving face."
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Let's see. If the UK guy was at least 6' tall and Stauskas' butt was resting on top of his head. That would leave 4' from the bottom of Stauskus' butt to the top of his head at the rim. That sounds just about right.