The tech on Prather was a joke

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by your_perfect_enemy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    Some technicals in college count as personals and some do not. I don't really remember what the distinction is. Recall that Maymon fouled out of their last game against us when he was T'd up for arguing a call.

The call on the dunk was ridiculous. The rule is pretty ridiculous too, but at least they don't call it as often as they used to. Refs should err on the side of not calling that particular technical. They should just let borderline cases go, and that was barely even borderline.

The refs were calling things closely all night, which generally favored us, but that call (and the fouls on Young) were ones that hurt us.
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    in the future, he should slow his momentum down by doing a 360 prior to the dunk
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    that was this year wasn't it?
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Would have possibly landed on his back. Watch it again and look how his momentum was carrying him. He had to pull up some. Maybe he did a little far, but not enough to warrant a T. Plus the ref started the call as he was dunking. He had already made up his mind to make the call before the play and would have made it on any dunk imo. It really smacked of a "poor ucla" call.
  5. nihilan_the_gator

nihilan_the_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    I think it was last year.
  6. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +312
    kinda gives you an idea where the refs head was...just looking for something to call against us...pitiful...hope there is some kind of review
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,139
    It was a good call. Any audible expressions of joy/happiness should be dealt with harshly. :cool:
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    I see it differently and more of a self-safety issue. Players going in for those dunks often carry a great deal of momentum. Letting go of the rim immediately can easily result in the player going horizontal and falling on their tail bone. That's very dangerous. It looked to me like a) Prather barely hung on the rim and b) if he did, it was to prevent himself from falling out of control (i.e. regaining balance). IOW - it was a B$ call.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,139
    I agree with those who say the game was called fairly (or I think a better word is evenly), although the calls mentioned above were questionable - there were a couple of questionable foul calls against them also.

But, wow! I thought that was the tightest called game that I've seen all year - maybe in years. Very little contact elicited foul calls on both ends. That helped UCLA (the finesse team not known for defense) by serving to neutralize our great in-your-face defense that normally allows us to challenge almost every shot. Poor Patric couldn't stand in the lane without being called for a foul. As always, we managed to adapt and survive, but I was very worried at halftime that if the refs didn't start laying off the whistles that we could be in trouble as we couldn't play our normal defense.

FWIW - I thought the worst call against us was the out-of-bounds call on Hill when he got hip-checked. They showed a replay well after the play (I think during half-time) that was from behind the UCLA defender. It clearly showed him moving into Hill's blur of a path and catching Hill solidly with his hip. Hill's 1st step after the hip check is when his foot hit out-of-bounds - and even with the hip check, he was just out of bounds by the width of his foot (if I was seeing clearly :confused: :cool:).
  10. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    True. Some posters were noticing how tightly the Dayton/Stanford game was being called and wondering if we would have the same crew. I imagine it was the same crew and that was just their m.o. Like you noted, we did a great job of adjusting and UCLA had a hard time with the fouls. The Gator boys were just athletically superior.
  11. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I hate to be a party pooper, but the dunk itself was unnecessary. The game was in hand and Prather put himself in the position where he wanted to/needed to hang on the rim. There was no defender in sight. Billy lit into him on the sideline for that.

I have no problem with the call.
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,139
    Disagree.

The game was in hand, but it wasn't over. You take the dunk & make it a 4-possession game IMO. I don't know what Billy was yelling about, but I can't believe it was for scoring. Maybe it was for hanging on the rim...I don't really know. When I saw it live, my only thought was that he was just still coaching the team up, because the game wasn't over.

As long as you can point to games where, for example, Reggie Miller can score 8 points in less than 9 seconds to win a game, then you keep playing - even when it will take a very improbable series of events to lose.
  13. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    ???
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    To clarify. He could have just laid the ball in the basket or dunked it in such a fashion that he didn't need to hang on the rim. He has enough body control to do that.
  15. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    Is there a rule against dunking?
  16. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    No. There is no rule against dunking. There is a rule against hanging on the rim when it isn't necessary. It was completely unnecessary for Prather to finish that play in a manner that required him to hang on the rim.

Edit: And that is why Billy D got in his grill.

No problem with dunks here.
  17. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    But you claimed he should have made a layup or "dunked in a fashion that he didn't need to hang on the rim." So I guess I should have clarified my question. Is dunking in a manner in which hanging on the rim to protect oneself becomes necessary against the rules? Should Casey have slowed down and dunked more nicely?

I've never seen such a short amount of "hang time" called. Throw in the fact that the refs had a consistently quick whistle and I think your argument falls short.
  18. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    He should have dunked in such a way as to not need to hang on the rim even a little. If he did a behind the back, between the legs windmill slam it would be fine. No need to be nice, just don't need to give ref even a little thing to think about.
  19. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    It is absolutely fine and necessary to hang on the rim after a dunk in order to protect yourself. But it's a technical if you go out of your way to put yourself in that position.
  20. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    Wait . . . it's a technical to dunk so aggressively that you put yourself in harm's way? How is that determined? Should players dunk will only a safe amount of momentum? I'm not following.