The takedown of manufactured intelligence

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Dec 30, 2013.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    And it's one I completely agree with. Just pointing out one of the major hurdles with respect to that. I find it sad, really, that people would even agree to be officially affiliated with these organizations. In a perfect world, we would all look upon both major parties with nothing but skepticism.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,514
    Indeed. I meant common ground, compromise and understanding.

Things humans are inherently capable of if you remove the emotional rewarding Pavlovian pleasure points of partisanism.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,786
    I knew about the 6 P's of planning, now I know about the 4 P's of human motivation.:D
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    Some of this "we could all get along" BS is worthy of a Friedman column. Lets have politcs without the politics. Partisanship is born of the inability of people to compromise altruistically. Self-interested people rarely do this just for the sake of doing it. You guys seem to think its the cause of not getting along, rather than a symptom.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    It takes a smart person to fool the general public... passing off lies as facts is not easy to do.
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001

While I don't completely disagree with this notion, there are ways to remove or at least mitigate the influence of those whose financial interests are directly tied to the creation of divisiveness (see whole range of social/wedge issues with no hope of resolution, yet which perpetually persist in the political system). Rational people would table issues like that while working through those where there are opportunities for solutions, but our system continually forces them to the forefront. And why? Because Non Profits are really no different than LLCs or Incs in that they are not created to deal with an issue and go away. Like any company, they are designed to grow, to bring in more funds, to hire more people/lobbiests, to fund more politicians, etc, etc.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    Divisiveness isnt "created," it already exists. People simply put money towards advocacy of their prefered outcome, typically out of self-interest, but perhaps also out of compassion. Now, whether you think the money amplifies it too greatly is another conversation, but it doesnt create anything that doesnt already exist.
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    I think the framing of the debates (by those with vested interests - financial and otherwise) is where most of the problems lie. Typically (and we got into this in the Gay Marriage thread), it is positioned in a way that it benefits only those whose political/financial futures are tied to the perpetuation of the issue. The second part of the problem (OBOB's "blanket") are those who take the bait.