The so called "Religion of Peace".

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Apr 24, 2014.

1. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    You should meet more Muslims, because it seems your eye test is based on extreme incidences that support your perception of mainstream Muslims. It's easy to judge from your safe perch whether a community either has or doesn't have the "nads" to effectively prevent these situations from occurring. Note, in many of these communities where terrorism has proliferated, political and economic upheaval has been the root cause of the anger. Religion is an easy scapegoat, and an easier unifying cause for the young and restless. More importantly, western intervention in many of these countries has continued to bolster these terrorist groups, so the "spilling over " goes both ways.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/boston-terrorism-motives-us-violence

I would say it is far easier to have one's "act together" when sufficiently protected both financially and socially, free from oppression, something that is foreign to many Muslims in other countries. This isn't to excuse such behavior, but to castigate an entire population based on the actions of a few just seems insincere and simplistic. If you continue to think terrorism is simply a Muslim problem, then all you will do is continue to bolster the hatred.

This might help you understand: http://muslimmatters.org/2013/05/02/8-reasons-i-dont-feel-gulity-abou-the-boston-bombings/
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    The Muslim community to use a Martin Luther type that posts grievances with the Mosque that sparks some sort of reformation within Islam. The problem is, as Lawdog alludes to, is moderate Muslim leaders are afraid if they did something like that, they'd literally lose their head.

The other issue is tied in with geopolitics. The ruling class in Muslim countries don't want a Islam reformation because they are happy with the way things are. They sit on huge oil deposits and make plenty of money selling to the west. And the ruling class is happy the peons are focused their anger on the west for several reasons. One, it lets the ruling Muslim class off the hook for the poor peon Muslim conditions. And two, the more of a terrorist threat the west receives, the more military funding we have, which is fueled by oil.

If any real change is ever going to occur, it has to start within the Muslim community. And I believe it will happen eventually. Things can't go on like this forever.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,029
    Please practice your implicit insults and contrived, simplistic condescension that "politics" is the real reason for Jihadi terrorism, on someone else.

In the meantime, why don't you just go out and provide the Muslim world with whatever aid and comfort you deem helpful to move them from the middle ages, into the now. Only then will you be able to test your implied hypothetical that all will be well, and that if just given political, social, and financial stability, the Muslim world will beat its AKs and belt bombs into plowshares.

Yeah, that'll do it.

4. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,029

On this topic, AZ, I totally agree.

Like you, my hopes are that the phenomena will truly change from the inside out and will be initiated by Muslims (makes the most, if not the only, sense to me), because indeed, this cannot go on forever, or even, very much longer.
  5. swampspring

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Insults? I don't recall any insults, but it seems you are quite sensitive, and/or on here to look for an argument, rather than have a civilized discussion, which in a sense, would be expected from someone who can only view the world from black and white lenses. I can't make out the rest of your nonsense since it is laden with irrationality. There's no use for me to respond further to you as it is plain to see you aren't willing to have a rational discussion.
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    It's just a damn shame when people don't learn anything from that not to distant past. This sense of willful blindness would destroy this country.
  7. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,029

No lenses here.

Have a nice one.
  8. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Cmon Law...couldn't you see that was a sidetrack post on his part since he actually no argument to what you said. Especially the "laden with irrationality" part. Geez.

By the way....what you said was very well said. Reps to you for several post of yours in this thread.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. swampspring

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Since he never addressed my post, I guess we could say the same. Good day! :)
  10. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    The religion of peace is quite up the the level of American feminism, despite its best efforts.
  11. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Pretty sure the Bible is every bit as violent as the Koran. The Ole Testament endorses, or at least doesn't condemn acts of slavery, sexism, bigotry, genocide, rape, prostitution, the whole human race but a guy and his family on an arc drowning, children being sodomized. Pretty sure it's how you interpret the message that matters.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    Well gee, you sound like a student of the bible
  13. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Just saying. It's unfair for Christians to assault Muslims for their book and it's "evil" or their actions. The bible is a brutal, violent book until his son enters the picture. Look in the mirror, study the history of your religion before judging others for theirs. I'm on neither side, but I know plenty of good people who belief in both, and that doesn't make them any different than each other(except the christian girls show a little more skin :p).
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    Perhaps its because that thread (or the title for that matter) had absolutely nothing to do with there being 'good and bad people everywhere, from all religions' and tideh8rGator's post was so over the top that it was obviously not to be taken seriously?
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    What I don't get about the whole crusade thing is it's never mentioned that the crusades were in response to the muslim invasion and aggression towards other countries. They took over cathedrals etc, and yes they killed people. But you would think they were just innocent bystanders in all of this.
  16. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Didn't the Pope apologize for Catholic actions during the Crusades?

Seems like even the Church admits they were horrible people at that time.
  17. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    You clearly don't understand the bible and how violence occurs. Nothing is condoned of which you previously mentioned. Not one! Because you interpret as such does not make it so. God gave warning upon warning before he acted. God gave the Canaanite people more than sufficient time to repent of their evil ways—over 400 years (see (Genesis 15:13-16)!)
  18. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Gotcha.

So God can't change you(though he created you that way), so he slaughters you.

Our God is a mighty God indeed. I'm sure the whole Human race but one family should have died when he flooded the world too, right? I'm sure he was on the right tract when he destroyed S&G. I mean he is God, he can't be wrong. Sure his death totals and emotional rage are video game like...but he's God. Made by us, in our image.

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)
  19. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    Your issue seems to be with god, might I suggest taking this up with him. I can don't try to convince those that so stubbornly refuse to believe. My only advice would be to read the bible over and over and engage in conversation with a scholar of the good book.
  20. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Went to Blessed Trinity and Trinity Catholic(before Bostic and Brantley though ;/) so had plenty of time there. My issue is with people using this to enforce hatred. Both Muslims and Catholics. It's not stubborn refusal, because there is no real evidence your god is more real than any other that man has created. I believe in the possibility of God, but won't act like I can know it because no one, and I repeat NO ONE, can know. There is no evidence your God exist, and all others were incorrect, but yet you use him as a tool for violence, ignorance, and distain for fellow humans. If God has this many issues as shown in the Bible, I'm cool with Hell.