The so called "Religion of Peace".

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Apr 24, 2014.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I mean, I didn't get into the details of the article - but that group is being antagonized by the Muslims apparently. I mean, of course they're going to fight back? Doesn't that kind of destroy the point?
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,999
    But back to the OP, there are good and bad people everywhere, from all religions yet some of you take great pleasure in trying to stir the pot. And that's really all it is for you guys. Not debate, just bait and antagonize. Pretty childish.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,482
    While I can't read Arabic, I'd assume that these probably aren't atypical responses in that regard either.

"The Mujahideen aren't real Muslims, they've fundamentally misunderstood the Quran." or "But Christians (or Jews) have been antagonizing and trying to lay claim to their country for years, of course they're going to fight back."

And I think that just about brings the thought exercise full circle.
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    fighting back in the same way as those who attacked you? beheading, setting on fire, dismemberment... how is that the christian response? I understand defending yourself but being the same kind of monster under a different name is just the same thing.
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Like I said, I didn't read the article - but from the bit you posted, it said the Christians were antagonized by the Muslims. You know what happens in third world countries when one religious or political group antagonizes another? Beheadings, setting on fire, dismemberment. The stuff is as old as human history and a poor example. It's your example, use whatever you want, but if you choose this make a point it's just really not very good.
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

One little known fact is that Warren Buffet barely escaped the terrible explosion that day, when he drove out to his brother's farm instead of heading downtown to file some papers at the Federal Courthouse.
  7. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I could make this same argument for the so-called Muslim terrorist groups, especially in light of the fact that the vast majority of their victims happen to be Muslim. Many Muslims don't consider them to be Muslim, or at the very least, abiding by the principles of Islam. Anyway, I think it is important to note that one cannot demonize an entire faith/group of people by the actions of a few. Islam is the second largest religion in the world, the vast majority of them are like you and I, peaceful law abiding people who are getting by day by day.

Is there more upheaval currently going on in that part of the world compared to maybe the traditionally western Christian countries? Yes, but that's mostly due to political dynamics rather than religious dynamics.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Yeah, Kony is absolutely not a Christian and probably couldn't tell you a thing about it. I specifically have donated to Christian Charities that revolved around children and child-soldiers who have been affected by Kony. I really hope someone didn't have the ignorance to proclaim something like that.
  9. 96Gatorcise

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    from a link I posted earlier-
    As for Christianity, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda initiated hostilitiesthat displaced two million people. Although it is an African cult, it is Christian in origin and the result of Western Christian missionaries preaching in Africa. If Saudi Wahhabi preachers can be in part blamed for the Taliban, why do Christian missionaries skate when we consider the blowback from their pupils?
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Put a period there and end the paragraph please. It's not Christianity. Did Christian missionaries witness to these people at one point? Sure, they witness to millions per year across the globe. It's clear and stated by your own sources, it's an "African cult." What more is there to argue? You went out of your way to make the point that, "hey look, Christians aren't perfect either!" as if it's something revelatory and then decided to use examples that were equally as silly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  11. 96Gatorcise

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    this was written a year ago after the Boston bombing
    http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/...-nationhood-christians-hold-the-modern-record
  12. swampspring

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I think the point is that they are just as Christian as any supposed "Islamic" group acting on behalf of Islam...meaning neither is remotely representative of their religion. I think we can agree that both religions have received undue criticism due to the heinous behavior of supposed followers, but the reality is, the religions themselves are not to blame. No matter the religion, race, culture, etc, anytime you have a large group of people with common interests/experiences, you will have a segment that are extreme outliers. Appreciating this will allow us all to move forward into removing hatred due to differences, and align and fight for a common goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Except the example he used didn't demonstrate that. It provided no information that had anything to do with Muslims to begin with (which are the basis of this thread), therefore, he basically just posted an article about a group of terrorists in Africa who belong to a cult (his own sources) and apparently once were witnessed to. It was a poor example, that's my whole point. It shouldn't be that difficult to come up with something legitimate.
  14. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    If alleged "Christian" militias ("terrorists, in this case) slay people while proclaming the duty-bound obligation to Christ to do so, some point could be made about it. To my knowledge, no such militia has ever done anything like that, or has proclaimed that the ressurected Christ commanded them to do so, because obviously, neither the teachings of Christ or sound Christian doctrine advocates slaughtering innocents.

The Muslim Jihadists, on the other hand . . . .
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,290
    The answer to that LD is that those guys that kill in the name of god are now classified as "so called" Muslims, so they're not real Muslims.
  16. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    It's odd to me that you would get upset over this "The So Called Religion of Peace" thread, but when one of your friends on the Right creates a thread with the same title and links to a story about Muslim violence, you don't get upset...or at least not enough to bother commenting about it.

And btw, you only have to go back a few days to find an example of this idea.
    This is a post from this Monday:
    And in case you're wondering, you participated in the thread, but didn't mention to tideh8rGator that there were "good and bad people everywhere, from all religions". Maybe you don't see his post as stirring the pot? Either ways, the thread is still active if you wish to change that.

Edit: I also think it's strange that you think I'm antagonizing Christians by pointing out that most Muslims are not terrorists.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,213
    Could be hazardous to your health.
  18. swampspring

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Anyone can make proclamations. I can make proclamations representing the entire Gator nation. Doesn't mean I'm right, nor does it mean I'm representative. If one was to be objective, and read the tenets of the religion, in the context it was written, they would understand that the religion would find their behavior abhorrent, and so by extension, someone who truly believes in Islam would feel the same.

It would be unfair to implicate a religion, or its people, solely on the behavior of a segment of the population over the past 50 years, when other religions, including Christianity, have also had factions that have engaged in abhorrent behavior under the auspices of their religion. Limiting it to 50 years is just convenient to support a misinformed stereotype.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. swampspring

Ratings Received:
    +573
    When behavior is so abhorrent and in contrast to the tenets of the religion, one does call into question the legitimacy of their beliefs.
  20. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

That might hold some water if it passed the everyday, common sense eye test. It does not.

My eyes say Jihadi terrorism in the name of Allah, continues unabated by the alleged mainstream Muslim community (which apparently professes to respecting life more than death) - meaning, they either do not have the nads to get close enough to the doers of the deeds to stop it, or, they may know who the doers are, but are to afraid to say anything for fear of becoming another dead Muslim.

I am not concerned about how adherents to other religions may have "gotten their act together" over the years. It is enough that the Muslim community has not, and it is their problem - for starters - which also spills over to be our problem, i.e., where we must act to prevent this Jihadi expression of Islam against infidels and any other Muslim who gets in the way, from causing further harm in the time we have been given.