The recipe for beating uf?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 17, 2013.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487 / 66 / -18
    Our 3 losses came against 2 very good teams and one average team. Although we all must admit last year we had a few really close games the could have gone sour for us.

If you're a DC, you have to know uf's bread and butter is running, especially between the tackles as to set up JD for read option. UF rarely throws on first down and doesn't throw all that much deep.

If I'm the DC, I want to get uf in plenty of 3 and longs (6 yards or more). I know uf loves wr screens and short crossing patterns in the middle. I also know that uf's OL is average and can be beaten and that JD can be stripped of the ball.

So, goal is to stop the run, esp on first and second downs, bring a safety up, run blitze. Force uf into plenty of long third downs, and blitz forcing either an errant throw or sack or stripping the ball. Until uf can show they can throw it over the top, I'd play tight. I would also on third down drop a d tackle into coverage for the middle crossing pattern on third and long. Gameplan, get uf in lots of third and longs and chances are good for turnovers. Tight coverage and force uf to beat you over the top.

This won't work with cream puffs but if i'm lsu, uga, usce and sow, they have the personnel to do it. PS, i do not consider um a strong D, but more than not we shot ourselves in the foot.

Bottom line imo uf is not that hard to defend especially if a D has depth at dl.
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +97 / 2 / -0
    Keep everything in front of you and make the Gators work their way down the field in little bites. They will mess something up along the way.
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487 / 66 / -18
    Phil, you mean as in penalties, incompletions, sacks or turnovers?
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,468 / 25 / -8
    Defenses have been putting 8 or 9 in the box against us for the last 2 years.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,686 / 108 / -27
    No offense, but that's the recipe for success against any team.
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174 / 20 / -5
    I agree, the opponent having no offense is a recipe for success against all teams...
  7. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Load the box and play man to man. If you have the defensive secondary to do it, you will cause our offense to crumble.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,112 / 66 / -15
    Stopping the run and forcing someone to beat you over the top is one thing, but you can do it a ton of different ways. No one stays in the same defense the entire game. Are you going to run man free with a safety in the box or zero coverage with a corner coming? Will you sent the Mike and/or Will on run blitzes and, if so, out of man or a zone blitz? Will the corners play off or on, and will that depend upon safety help? More importantly, will a defense like Tennessee change what it does (according to Muschamp, lots of two deep safety looks in either cover two or man under) change what it does well and sell out to stop what we do well?

Every offense has weaknesses and there is an plan to stop every offense, but whether or not your team has the talent and the football capacity to do so is a different story.
  9. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +23 / 2 / -1
    I will give the Gators credit. In the Miami game we passed 10 times and ran 18 times on first down, so we're starting to mix it up some more on first down. On another post I think someone figured out we were 8/10 on first down throws. Could be the turnovers masked much improvement on the offense. We'll find out more this weekend.
  10. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,402 / 0 / -0
    Agree with most in here. Comit to stopping the run and short passes. Wait until Driskel beats you deep twice. Could just be luck the first time, prove that he can repeat it.
  11. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Recipe: hope the Gators turn the ball over 5 times.
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    Yep

1) Just put 2 bodies in the deep safety positions (doesn't matter if they are good safeties, or even safeties for that matter, just 2 people) and our OC/QB/WRs will notice that and therefore never threaten to beat you deep a la Toledo.

2) Allow the UF ground game and short passing game to chew up small chunks of yardage and big chunks of time.

3) Sit back and wait for penalties, turnovers, or a missed blocking assignment that leads to an easy sack or TFL. At this point, you've probably given up 3 points worst case.

4) Capitalize on turnovers/good field position and find a way to score 3 TDs. (Especially in the first half before they have time to adjust at halftime). You will probably win the game.
  13. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 Member

Ratings Received:
    +48 / 8 / -2
    If the opposing team successfully shuts down our rushing attack, then they put it on Driskel's arm (or legs). If Driskel makes smart decisions with his throws and or keeps defenses on their heels by using his legs, then our offense can do enough to win if our defense has played well.

Either you have a good enough offense to put points on our defense or you force UF's offense to make turnovers. That's how you beat us.
  14. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +33 / 4 / -1
    stack the box and commit to stopping the run. Mix up your blitzes and confuse the hell out of the QB. Good for at least one sack/fumble per game.

When you get a chance to hit the QB, hit him hard because Florida has no backup.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,667 / 82 / -24
    I just hope opposing coaches don't read this thread... we might not win another game. :rolleyes:
  16. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 5 / -0
    I finally agree with you....."No Offense" You've nailed it.
  17. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114 / 25 / -9

I think you just made the opposite point from the one you intended.

The two good teams that deployed this effective "recipe" for beating the Gators can't feel very good about the defenses then. Even with this "recipe" they still barely won, and then only with the help of several unforced errors by the Gators.

So apprently is exceedingly difficult to beat the Gaotrs. Even with a good team and the perfect "recipe" your chances are no better than a crap shoot. I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    No worries, Oaktown ... the Gator coaches read SG everyday so they will be making the necessary adjustments ... all good!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193 / 10 / -3
    I believe that number is worse as we threw the ball on first down with the last two possessions of the game because we were down two scores...I think we threw three times on first down on the next to last possession were we scored and then once on the feeble last possession. In reality, we actually passed 6 times on first down and ran 18 times when the game was truly in the balance...I wouldn't count the last two desperation possessions in the stats.
  20. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    make JD beat ya. put 8 in the box and force JD to throw the ball.