The reason we have struggled to make big plays

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cruzgator, Sep 11, 2013.

1. cruzgator

cruzgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    After rewatching the first two games, I have noticed that our downfield blocking is terrible. Our WRs, TEs and even Joyer have struggled to seal the edge and block downfield. WR blocking was also a huge problem area last year.

Under Meyer, we always blocked extremely well downfield. Cooper, Murphy, Nelson, and the others were supreme blockers and played a big role in the explosiveness of the offense. Until this offense learns to block better downfield (Dunbar, without holding) we will struggle to make yards after the catch and break big runs.
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +833
    I thought it was the fact that none of our current skill players are elite or even NFL caliber...all those receivers you mentioned have played in the NFL (Cooper, Murphy, Nelson) not to mention throw in Harvin and Hernandez (elite level playmakers) and you have NFL talent all over the field. But maybe you are right and it is just blocking.
  3. cruzgator

cruzgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Gillislee and Reed are both playing in the NFL right now. Gillislee did not have a run of 50 yards or more last year. Also, I was bringing up Cooper, Murphy and Nelson as blockers, not NFL caliber skill players.

Blocking down field has to improve
  4. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Downfield blocking and backside seal are vital.
    Look, on D you preach "Pursue, pursue, pursue" and flow to the ball.
    On O, your counter to that is downfield blocking and backside seal. Less X's going after your O's means more success away frm the point of attack, i.e downfield which leads to bigger plays.
    Agreed, we used to block downfield like demons. Now, not so much.
  5. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    They do a fine job of downfield holding.
  6. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    The WR are worlds better than they were last year, so don't blame this debacle on them. Last season, they weren't even close enough to get holding calls.
  7. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    We lost because our bread and butter is pounding the inside with rbs and "softening" up the DL and against UM we couldnt run inside...they stacked the line and made us pass...which is what we do to other teams as well.

And we had to keep running inside even when it was not working to keep their defense honest and slow the pass rush somewhat. You cant be one dimensional or the defense has a field day...our game is to pound pound pound....then throw to open wrs when the defense is geared to stop our running game. It is amazing that UMs DL could hold up after being on the field so darn long in that heat...they arent that deep...but the DL & LBs played over their heads and we kept turning ball over and fed their intensity.
  8. phideltdj

Ratings Received:
    +833
    Everybody looks good blocking when you have a guy as dynamic as Percy Harvin running with the ball. Have you seen the size of Patton and Dunbar by the way..I wouldn't exactly call them beasts...most DB's could shed their blocks with ease...and then comparing them to Nelson and Cooper and I think the size mismatch is obvious.
  9. cruzgator

cruzgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Blocking downfield is all effort. They are blocking DBs who are similar size. There are no excuses for missed assignments. It certainly wasn't the reason we lost, but if we want to create some explosive plays we need to get better.
  10. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Downfield/WR blocking is NOT about pancaking or de-cleating, it's about fit and seal. The 2 or 3 moves he needs to get around you take him out of pursuit. It is effort and coaching.
  11. phideltdj

Ratings Received:
    +833
    If you think the DB's are similar in size to Patton and Dunbar you are clueless not to mention receivers don't only just block downfield or try to get in the way of someone with effort only...as believe it or not sometimes receivers have to block at the line of scrimmage or seal a linebacker within the first three yards so yes it is easier to shed blocks from puny receivers. To answer the original post the fact of the matter is we don't have elite skill players that is why you don't consistently have big plays.
  12. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,429
    Must be hard to train a WR to block -- he never gets praised by the media and fans for it -- compared to one dropped pass that might haunt him his entire career.

And I imagine 3 out of 4 times they block, the play never comes that far downfield.

A receiver wants the ball thrown to them, trained all their young lives like a retriever to fetch whatever is thrown. I imagine the instant a ball is thrown, it's hard for that WR to switch off the pass-catching mode and switch on the 'block so-and-so' mode.

I bet if blocking for WRs isn't well-trained in high school, it is all the more difficult in college -- because you have to un-do an well-ingrained pattern of behavior.

As said before, it's not just blocking, it's blocking effectively, at the right time and holding it long enough.

I hope our WRs will rise to the challenge -- it's the most important thing for them to learn, if they seek a higher NFL career. And our Gators lose if they don't!
  13. jcorb3233

jcorb3233 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    The WR blocking downfield hasn't been that terrible (Robinson has looked pretty good), but I have noticed our linemen and FBs are struggling in zone blocking (especially Harrison). They either leave their first block too early, or don't know who to block at the second level. There have been a lot of runs where there's a lineman 5 yards downfield, with nobody to block (meanwhile, the LB they should have blocked makes the tackle).

For a unit that excelled last year in run blocking, they've struggled so far this year.