The Rascals; Once Upon a Dream

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Nov 10, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    http://rascalsdream.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJMS0F3KiRo

Saw this show last night at The Cadillac Theater in Chicago, the original lineup of Rascals live with backing vocals and musicians along with a multi-media narrative of the band's history in the context of US history and culture, produced and narrated by Little Stevie Van Zandit. Amazing show. The first half was a bit heavier on the history part, but it was so well done and made the progression of the band's music, professionalism and success so much more interesting. After the intermission, it was almost all music. These guys still have amazing chops and great voices. If only the Beach Boys had taken 40 years off to rest their voices.

If this show comes anywhere near you, don't miss it. I don't care how old you are or what kind of music you listen to, these are one of the greatest pop/rock/R&B bands of all time. 1965-1970, you could not leave the radio on for an hour without hearing one of their songs. As much new and old music I listen to now, those old songs have stuck with me forever.

God bless Little Stevie for putting this show together. I suspect these guys were about flat broke and irrelevant in musical history. Steven put this thing together with a Kick=Starter campaign which has now financed a magnificently produced Broadway caliber show and world tour.

IMHO, the highlight of the show…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpLpbqBYsw
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    They were in FT Lauderdale earlier this year, but we had a conflict. Looks like fun. Big fan back in the day.
  3. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Man, I wanted to catch that when it came through Tampa but I had a work conflict.
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,752
    saw them live way back when-had some great music
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    That must have been something. They still have so much charisma, I can only imagine what they were like in their prime.

Doubt they ever came anywhere near my home town. Not many national touring acts came through the panhandle at the height of their popularity. First big concert I ever attended was the year the Rascals broke up. Was on our annual summer visit to CT to visit my cousins and I saw Led Zeppelin at the Yale Bowl.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,752
    It was an awesome concert with a hot lady