The Queen's lunch program leaves kids hungy so the school stopped it.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/974749/michelle-obamas-school-lunch-program-makes-kids-hungry

Through YouTube videos and interviews, students are complaining that the calorie restrictions are leaving them hungry and unable to concentrate on schoolwork. The USDA has released a fact sheet on calories in school meals, to help school authorities answer public concerns. The fact sheet specifically mentions additional options for the very active students. “In addition to making available second helpings of fruits and vegetables (or even milk) at lunch, schools can also structure afterschool snack and supper programs to provide additional foods for those who need them. Many schools have previously found success with parent or school-run booster clubs and may opt to continue this practice.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5A1jVuqUE
  2. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    Don't stand between and American and their right to be fat! We need to get the obesity crown back from Mexico. We can't have "hungry" kids, get them some pizza and soda quick!
  3. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Well, I can say both of our sons ate breakfast at home then had these lunches at school. They then had to finish school, hit the weights during PE and then practice football and basketball until about 5:30 or 6:00, sometimes later for football.
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    A bag of black beans costs about $2. A bag of rice costs about $2. You can make a meal for your kid for about 30 cents. If you can't afford this kill yourself.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Oh you can feed your kids for dirt cheap. Hell a bag of lentils comes out to like $.15 a serving, full of protein.

The trick is getting kids to eat it. I know if I were in school and my parents packed a tupperware full of lentils I'd probably kill a man just to get a slice of pizza.

Long story short: kids don't want to eat healthy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Right, but these are kids and parents complaining about a lack of calories in the school lunches. If they don't like it, bring some lentils. If they don't have the time or money for that, be hungry.
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    i'm not seeing where anyone stopped it. it appears the usda is tweaking what isn't working. and after three years of a trial run that seems to be about right. as far as michelle obama's role, not being a dietitian, i'd say is more of a proponant/spokesperson. if my insurance doesn't cover what it said it would i don't blame flo but the actual policy writers. same with the usda.
  8. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    The real problem here is not so much the lunches. How many of us when younger had pizza, sloppy joes, burgers -- heck at one of my schools we had McDonald's Wednesdays where we would get McD's for lunch (private school)? How many of us were obese/overweight?

The issue, as most people struggling with weight will tell you, isn't so much the type of food going in - it's the fact that school districts have cut drastically or completely cut out exercise programs in school. I mentioned on another thread about the technology stuff my kid's school has - but they're constantly complaining that they don't have enough money to have gym more than twice a week. Then they say they can't afford the staff - yet those same gym teachers are the ones sitting there on their behinds watching the kids during study hall. I never had study hall and I got through middle school just fine.

And again, there are great ways for kids to eat healthy that are relatively inexpensive. Keep the proteins you had - add a salad bar. Daughter got hooked on caesar salads that way. Fruit cocktails, or heck fruit snacks versus fries - or do a McD's approach where it's a very small portion of fries and then apple wedges.

The problem is that kids aren't moving at all at school, then they get home and in most cases don't run outside anymore due to violence, or parents not being home, etc. They're not burning any of the calories they're consuming - and healthy food or not, if you don't burn it you're going to store it.

Some schools figure healthy means fat-free and wheat breads, etc. Wheat bread is actually almost as bad as white bread unless it's WHOLE GRAIN bread. Fat-free may be fat-free, but it tastes like crap usually and to make up in the "flavor" department there's usually extra salt and carbs added in. Better to have a smaller portion of something that tastes "good" that the kid will eat and add fruits and vegetables.

But again, all could be solved for the better if the schools get kids moving again.
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    I see an opportunity for the kids to start their own black market food business in the bathrooms and unused lockers.
  10. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    start? we were doing that as middle schoolers in the 80's. just not in bathrooms, that was the smokers market.
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Seems to be another of a long list of unintended consequences of doing something "noble." You get into the "free stuff" business and people go from gratitude to expectation in time. Now the question is, do the "well meaning" screw it up even more by listening to the whiners or do they get religion and just decide that the costs just don't add value to the education system and can it.
    My bet is that the system marches on and the "good stuff" gets put on the menu. Gotta keep the cattle in the pen and happy.
  12. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Good ideas and i agree. Physical education is almost nonexistent these days.
  13. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Since you mention it, Americans actually do have exactly that right. Who the hell is the federal government to say they don't, let alone in the form of a First Lady's vanity project?
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    And they have the right not to know how to read. I'm sure you were on the frontlines for illiteracy when that was the "First Lady's vanity project."
  15. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Were there ever any instances where that project was actually making children lose interest in reading altogether? The thing about these vanity projects is that they are supposed to be, y'know, low-impact and unequivocally successful even if on a small scale, like a Toys for Tots drive writ large.
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    This type of thinking really shows how far down the rabbit hole some on the right have gone. We are now seriously criticizing the other party for doing something with literally no downside simply because it is the other side. As crazy as some criticism from the left may have been of Bush, I seriously can't remember anybody taking an attitude of "Screw you Queen Laura Bush, if I don't want my kid to read, he won't read."

It really has gotten quite absurd and some on the right need to tone it down quite a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    What's really absurd is the lack of common sense you're using. Comparing teaching kids to read with forcing kids to eat specific meals - it's just not the same. There's literally no down side? Well, if you dont consider hungry kids and wasting food as downsides then, sure.
  18. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    They are just taking more control from the parents. Don't tell my kids what to eat and I won't tell Hussein what to eat. "Kapeesh"
  19. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Isn't the linked story a demonstration of a downside? That state-as-parent as boutique dietician isn't connecting with the appetites of students? Which is to say, whatever one thinks of the provincial goal of fixing their diet, if they are opting to go hungry instead of eating whatever kale horror is put before them, that something has gone wrong?

I mean, if an actual parent proves incapable of providing nourishment to their children because they have goals loftier than their ability to compel or convince their children to play along with, the state might actually, y'know, take them away. Why isn't that true for parens patriae?

You are being absurdly dishonest to try to fish around for a partisan issue here, but I understand that's just autonomic at this point. To me, the great farce of the literacy program is that it tacitly acknowledged special effort be made to make up for a deficit that the government schools create or at the very least fail to address.
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    Nobody is forced to eat anything. The government isn't coming to your house and throwing out your food. They aren't force feeding students. They aren't closing McDonald's. They are saying that if you get food from the government, it will be healthier. If you want to privately feed your kid, you can do so. However, if you want to do so in an unhealthy way, you might get told that you are harming your child, just as you would be if you decided your child did not need to know how to read.

This is of of the biggest misappropriations of "common sense" that I have ever seen. "Common sense" in defense of a negative outcome because the other "side" is against it. Completely absurd.