The People's Case Against Muschamp

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    There was a Star Trek episode once where Kirk was incapacitated and an older guy, a Commodore, no irony intended, had to take over. The guy was an excellent officer, a good Commodore, but not a starship captain. Even Kirk himself said "He's going to get us all killed".

Well, Muschamp is a heck of a guy, a great defensive mind, but is he head coach material? I want to cite specific examples of where I think other, more experienced coaches would do things differently.

Exhibit A- using early opponents as tackle dummies. For at least two years now, Gator fans have looked at the season openers as "why are we pounding the ball up the middle?" At first, I bought into the logic, as Muschamp was trying to prove a point to his team. Now, after year 3, a lot of critics are saying perhaps those games would have been better used to get Murphy, Taylor, and other backups some valuable gametime experience. IMO, alot of what Muschamp was doing in those season openers was better done during our regular practices.

Exhibit B- the handling of redshirts. Remember the whole handling of the Brissett and Driskel affair. If one of those kids kept a redshirt, we'd have both of them on the roster today. Another example is the punter, Townsend. Was it worth burning his redshirt just to kick a couple times this year and lose games when we already have a capable punter? Until Jones went down, it even looked like we were burning Taylor's redshirt all for about 10 carries this year. Remember, Taylor would not be playing if Jones were healthy. If I'm not mistake, we have also burned a couple defenders' redshirts this year, just to lose to Vandy. The above examples show a short sightedness that most experienced coaches learn to outgrow. You'd rather have a kid like Brissett for an entire season, not for 3 games.

Exhibit C- playing time. While Muschamp initially seemed to put playmakers on the field the first two seasons, that may have been to get more of "his" players on the field. He still seems more willing to play younger players on D. Other coaches, notably his mentor Saban, seems to rotate more players, thereby ensuring fresh and experienced men up and down the roster. When Glen Coffee wasn't tearing us up, it was Trent. When Trent needed a breath, it was Lacy gashing us. When Lacy needed time out, it was the Yeldon show (probably the worst of the bunch).

Exhibit D- the handling of top playmaking recruits- remember, Fulwood and Robinson were supposed to be the bomb. How do you think they feel barely playing or running 7 yard outs while LaQuon Treadwell is a major cog in the Ole Miss O ? Better yet, how do you think Kelvin Taylor feels, finally getting a shot while Alex Collins is tearing it up at Arky? Say what you will about Urban, he knew who his playmakers were. There seems to be no definite strategy to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers in space. There are no specific plays drawn up for Robinson. for Kent Taylor, supposedly the best TE in his class. If you were Dalvin Cook, and you saw all these stellar playmakers commit to Florida and sit on the bench while the team goes 4-5?

Exhibit E- Losing to Vandy at home. This was not accomplished by Jay Cutler. The Rodgers kid didn't do this to us. Vandy beat us with a backup QB. This is something that never happens at Florida, akin to a President letting Cuba bomb us.

Exhibit F- the timing of questionable calls and replays. In three years, can anyone recall Muschamp using a coach's challenge to our advantage? Other than the one Kyle Christy fake, can anyone remember Muschamp successfully using trickery in a reasonable and successful way? Time affects the memory, but I recall on at least one occasion on fourth down, Muschamp lining up to punt, calling time out, then running a fake after the time out. That is classic Orgeron there, running a trick play after a time out while giving the other team's coach time to plan for it. Probably the best example of an inexplicable call was going for 2 at Miami. Now some may say that was up to the player, but how the hell does Muschamp give someone the option to go for 2 so early in the game? There are also numerous examples from other games where Muschamp has gone for it in less than optimal times, sometimes in our own territory where it was not necessary quite yet. Overall, this exhibit gives the impression of a coach who isn't playing the odds, taking reasonable opportunities, or making heady decisions.

For a closing argument, I would say review these above points. These are all things that one can squarely lay at Muschamp's feet. I tried not to focus on offensive playcalling, as one might argue that's on the OC. Other than the Vandy game, I also tried not to focus on specific outcomes or rival games. I could have brought up other issues such as penalties, but again wanted to approach this from the perspective of what our coach is doing versus what other coaches are doing. I would say Exhibits B, D, and F are the most damning for a Head Coach.
    In closing, I'm reminded of an Ole Miss game under Ed Orgeron where Ole Miss won the opening toss, and the player, instead of deferring his choice, chose to "kick it". So naturally, the opponent received the kickoff, and in the second half, received that opening kickoff too. A real brain fart by Ole Miss, giving their opponent extra possessions, that reflected rather poorly on their Head Coach and their training.
    We are not far from Orgeron territory with our team today.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    What a new and original idea! A Muschamp stinks thread.

Give it a rest. Please. Muschamp will NOT be fired until 2014, if then. Do you think this sort of gibberish helps the program, or do you think it provides fodder for FSU and others to use against us in recruiting? Look what is happening out there right now--key UF commitments are starting to waiver.

If Muschamp lays an egg in 2014 he will be gone, count on it. Until then, just stow it.
  3. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Have we hit the definition of beating a dead horse yet?
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Whos responsible for forwarding these threads to Foleys email?
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
  6. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    nm/withdrawn. :shhh:
  7. lenoxpaul

lenoxpaul Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Please tell us you didn't spend more than 5 minutes putting this together
  8. gator865

gator865 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    You lost me at Star Trek. Can someone take a poll at how many way's we can start a thread about how bad CWM is? Here is an idea how about we merge all the threads started about CWM good or bad? Now that would be an interesting thread to read. :joecool:
  9. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Addressed in Exhibit D.
    The wavering is Muschamp's fault, not b/c of what a fan says on a message board.
    These HS kids are not idiots, they see Florida losing while top recruits ride the pine.
    I guess you really should have read my post before mouthing off.
  10. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    I didn't read the whole thing but I am curious to know who Judge Wapner is?
  11. gator865

gator865 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
  13. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +365
    You know, AZ, I used to take up for you when people were slamming you. So instead of posting junior high jpegs, why don't you tell me where I'm wrong? You think it's smart to call a trick play after a timeout? Or you think it's great for Florida to steal prized recruits from Clemson and other high powered offenses just to have them ride the pine and not use them? Or to burn a punter's redshirt instead of trusting your All American punter to play through his mental issues?
    Please tell me which of the Orgeron-like offenses listed above have your approval.
  14. gator865

gator865 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    The Peoples Champ say's "Not another fire Muschamp Thread" :ninja:

Rock1.jpg
  15. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    lol I didnt even read the OP and dont plan on it. Robinson isnt playing because he hasnt played well when he was on the field. Fulwood is playing because he has played well. Clemson looked real high powered vs FSU. There are plenty of crying threads but you just had to make a new one which is hilarious. Best part is the title lol.
  16. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    G. 3 years & the play call when the D shows blitz - duck & cover.
  17. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    We get a bunch of support Muschamp threads, we get a bunch of fire Muschamp threads. A day in the life of a gator fan on gatorcountry these days...sigh.
  18. gator865

gator865 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    This
  19. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Hey, it's a valid thread, people.

Don't like it, don't read it! The thread title makes pretty clear what it's about..

Don't blame him for feeling like this though. It's more than just AD who feels this way and it is a message board for opinions, after all!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +951
    So you're satisfied with this head coach's performance and believe that he rates another season? I think the OP is rationally expressing what many of us here feel.

No emotion here: Please describe your vision for mission success in 2014 and what the minimal achievements are for Muschamp to get 2015, too. I need to know because I'm confused exactly what you define as a grossly unacceptable outcome if it isn't a third straight loss to Georgia, a loss to Vanderbilt at home in which the Gators did not even appear competitive, and an almost assured losing season.