The Opening / Elite 11 thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GATORAZ, Jun 28, 2013.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    Toughness leadership and will. You really want to compare him to Timmy??
  2. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    JD is an incredible tough kid and shares that with the other two. And you're right, he's ahead of where Tebow was at this point. His coaching has been better but he is the more natural thrower and is a lot further along with the mental aspect of the offense. The offense is a lot more cerebral than the read/option and he's asked to think and make pre snap decisions. Something Tebow never had to do.

The talent level surrounding the two is the biggest difference though. If Harvin was on the field running routes most would have a different opinion of JD right now.

Also, the majority of Tebow's stat's came from shuttle passes/dumps/catch and runs. I'm not a big stats guy, they're not the end all be all, but it's really unfair to use his numbers for any comparison.

Congrats, really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm not a member on this board or any other but you cover all things recruiting as well as any of them.
  3. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Also, not saying one is better than the other, or will be. Neither are where they need to be and JD still has a lot of work ahead of him.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
    This should be moved to the Too Hot for Awesome Recruiting forum. :)

FunnGunn
    Tebow had many downfield throws as a sophomore and is still known to throw a great deep ball. Facts man, facts.

As for catch and runs, Jeff's biggest passing plays last year in the passing game were short passes and runs after the catch. And let's be factual here, there weren't many of those either.

And, i agree, GATORAZ does a TREMENDOUS job on covering recruiting for this forum.
  5. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    You're right, he threw the deep seems and go's a couple times a game and was really successful with it. But he had the better athletes going and getting the ball and also faced a lot of single coverage because teams had 9 in the box to stop Tebow(which is when and why they called that number). It's not as though Tebow could have done that with last years players. It's also not where a majority of his numbers came from. He was put in a position(because of his skill set and the offense) to rack up a lot of stats, something JD will never be able to do. Not sure if Driskel could have had the same success on Tebow's teams, but he would have been very successful. On the other hand, Tebow would have looked like a fish out of water with the athletes that JD had.

Again, not saying either is better. I don't like comparing the two because they are just a bad match and everything they do is just about different.
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    Welcome to the board and thanks for your thoughtful observations. I agree with some of them but have to warn you anything you say about Tim that suggests he is anything less than the best QB or player at any position who ever played college or pro football or that his actions or beliefs are anything less than saintly can get you in serious trouble. You are right about the talent level surrounding him. What you don't know is that all those players were average until Tim put his hands on each of their heads and said a special blessing. (He must have skipped a few words with Hernandez.) If only Driskel had that power.
  7. jdubb34

jdubb34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Comparing JD's sophomore season to TT's is like comparing apples and oranges. Each of those players played in a different system than the other that was predicated around different offensive philosophies, the talent gap is ridiculously wide when it comes to WR's, TE and O-line personnel. AH became an All American TE while JD had a converted QB as a TE. TT ran with designed runs, counters and multiple option sets, JD was running for his life. TT was the unquestioned QB & leader of the team, JD was constantly looking over his shoulder when he had the reins and the leaders of the team last year were defensive players. JD played for a large school, but a school that had just begun playing football. JD did not have the luxury of developing at the position in HS like TT did and didn't have much, if any D1, talent on his team. TT did.

I think AZ is right that JD is further along than TT was, passing wise, by their sophomore years. Hopefully, we will see it this year as he is starting to have some weapons and potentially a strong O-line in front of him with a strong running game.
  8. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Thanks, and you're right, I wasn't meaning to turn this into a debate between the two. My apologies to AZ and everyone else. Like the other poster stated they are asked to do two different things. Which is one of the reasons it's pointless to even compare but it happens because Jeff was first labeled with the "next Tebow" role when he was recruited. Tebow was great at what he did, maybe the best. JD still has a way to go but his future is very bright. Definitely wasn't trying to take away anything from either, as a Gator I love them equally.

To me he(JD) compares favorably to Kapernick. Both are exceptional good athletes, tall, with above average speed and strong arms. I think Kaepernick has better quicks but Jeff is the more natural thrower. Jeff is further along in his development than Kap was at this time but a lot of that is coaching. If Kap continues to improve and that teams plays like it's capable of it will make Jeff a rich man in the draft. He's a future first rounder regardless barring any major setback.
  9. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

Agree 100%
  10. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I love Jeff Driskal as much as most (my son was his teammate and really liked him) but are we really witnessing a debate about whether he is better than arguably the greatest college football player of all time (Tebow) and one of the 4-5 greatest college quarterbacks of all time (Wuerfel)? Did I just wake up in the Twilight Zone?

AZ, I think everyone (well, most everyone, including me) appreciates what you bring to this board, but wow, can't you make your points without saying ridiculous things like in these last few posts? A good communicator doesn't have to resort to hyperbole to make his / her point.
  11. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Not to "fire away," but Haggerty (Driskal's school) is a large school. In fact, I believe that it is a higher classification than Nease (Tebow's school). Jeff's senior year, Haggerty was eliminated from the playoffs by Lakeland. That's good competition. And Driskal lit them up, even though they lost. I think Driskal will be fine with better WR and OL play.
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    I said he was further along in the passing game then Tebow was at this point which he is.
  13. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Pocket awareness is something he needs to work on......
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,777
    I really like that TE Mondeaux - great size, body control, knows how to get space and catches the ball well. Not sure what our TE board looks like, but I'd like to see us recruit him.
  15. gatorbait1

gatorbait1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    What are u smoking? No he's not. Bring out the stats.....stats don't lie
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    stats dont tell the whole story
  17. gatorbait1

gatorbait1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    It just states the facts
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    I am not going to argue with you if you think Tebow threw the ball better that Dirskel did at this time because of his stats then that is fine. I just think you are wrong. If Tim was so great at throwing the football what happen? Why did his stats go down each year after the hiesmen year? He took more sacks threw less touchdowns and his passer rating was less his senior year compared to his sophomore year. You might say he got worse I will say the level of talent around him dipped.
  19. gatorbait1

gatorbait1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Not me, ill say he was one of the greatest if not the best college football player ever to play and that didn't happen just in his sophomore year.
  20. gatorbait1

gatorbait1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Driskel is one of the best passers I've ever seen....5 yards and under.