The one thing I like most about Coach Roper...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 26, 2013.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,110

I remember a lot of this feel good stuff about Pease when he was hired too.

Know what happened? Pease only tweeked the exisiting system, he didn't replace it with his own system.

Before I jump on any bandwagon about our new OC, I want to know for absolute, definite sure with evidence to back it up...

Is Roper just going to be tweeking the exisiting system or is Muschamp going to allow him to scrap what we've been doing and install his own system and offense in it's entirety? I think that's a fair and valid question.

So far, absolutely no one has answered this question. No one here, no one in any newspapers, no one on any sportscasting shows, no one on the radio sports networks, no one on the coaching staff, no one anywhere. All I've seen is pure speculation and assumptions that the offense is going to be totally replaced, or at least that's how everyone seems to be thinking.

Personally, I think it's just going to be another tweeking job that will eventually end up being the same mess we saw this past season if we don't totally install a new offensive system.

Because if Roper is being used like Pease was, only to just tweek the existing system, it's going to be more of the same with Muschamp eventually interfering in the play-calling, and meddling and putting the clamps down the offense the first time we're in a close game.
    • Dislike Dislike x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    In Roper's recent press conference he said he will evaluate the QB's and the offensive line and tailor what the offense is to their strengths. I'm not sure what more "proof" is needed a mere day or so after his hire.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,110

"Tailor the offense" means tweeking the present one, it doesn't mean installing an entirely new one. Apparently, Muschamp refuses to allow a new offense to be installed that he can't meddle in then.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,061
    It's understandable to have buyers remorse after what has occurred in the last 3 years. and there's only one guy that knows if he's going to let the OC do his job or if he wants the current offense tweaked.. if he does the latter, he'll find himself out of a job.
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,061
    The only way champ doesn't meddle in the offense is if JF gives him a specific directive not to do so. I believe pease would still be here if it were up to champ..but it wasn't up to champ. and if I'm guessing right neither will the offense because JF isnt going to let him bring in someone new just to run the same steaming pile that was last years offense because it was horrible and more importantly JF would have rotten egg on his face.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    At least he didn't discuss "decided schematic advantages".

I have a much better feeling about Roper than ever with Pease. I think he'll be fine and I'm one who doubts he came here to run Muschamp's perceived preference for offensive systems.

How do we know that Gray? I'm all ears if CWM said something but I don't recall hearing it. I also don't believe as a DC he believed the offense we were running was indefensible or stood much chance of succeeding under good conditions. That's why I believe he's open to letting Roper run a great offense. I doubt he thinks being a good DC means preventing his own team from scoring. :)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,811
    I read an article today where a writer asked him some questions about his coaching style and what he plans to do when he gets here. I really liked what he had to say. our offensive players better be ready to bust their butts because he does not let up in practice. I believe he compares the football field to a hot stove in practice in order to keep the offensive players constantly moving and when they hit the ground they better be jumping back up. I'm actually looking forward to this and actually believe Jeff Driskel will thrive under Roper. I do not believe we've had an offense coach that has been coaching up the players. I believe coach Roper is a coach that will coach our players up and play to their strengths.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +353
    With Champ being open to changing his offensive philosophy there is more hope than ever. His style was just bloody awful. Having a powerful run game is good. As long as it isn't the only thing you do. Personally I thought Pease was great, he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted, and Champs paradigm shift came too late to save him. Now Champ knows he has to let someone do what they want, add some power running in, some spread and include players in the offense we actually have on the team...that would be a nice change. More good players have rotted on the sidelines in the last few years. There may be hope...We better get a darn good offensive line guy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    Here's another fair and valid question? Why are you so certain Muschamp was this meddling, interfering factor on the offense? Just because you have stated it as fact repeatedly does not make it accurate.
    I have talked to a prominent offensive player who says that is not the case at all. Does the head coach have input? Sure. But to infer that his actions handcuffed the previous offensive coordinators is stretch of large proportion.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    And if you're going to rely on it, make sure its something that you do at a very high level.

Some are trying to make the Auburn comparison. That's fine, but they got 2600 yards and 33 TD's out of their two leading runners. They averaged 337 ypg.

If Muschamp wants to depend on a strong running game, then he better have one to begin with. Even 2012's running game was a distant 4th in the league with 187 ypg.
  11. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Good news. Early New Years resolution. Outta here. If Gator Country mods are going to let TGG spew his venom in thread after thread, to the point that it takes over any thread that remotely touches on the Coach's, or the Gator's performance, then this is not the place to be for information or rational discussion about Gator football.

Over a period of decades, I have tried to have discussions with difficult people. FAA Operations Inspectors come immediately to mind; but I have never experienced irrationality on quite this scale.

For those who want to continue to roll around in the toxic waste that he, and others of his ilk, spew on a continuing basis, good luck and enjoy yourselves.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    You have my deepest sympathies. My father had to deal with ATC's trying to tell him how to fly his airplane. Then they didn't understand why he wasn't particularly nice to them when they wanted to ride the jump seat.
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    He won't have an answer. He's just going to complain some more. He hates muschamp.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    I know...just went to another thread and he has posted the exact same thing. I guess it becomes gospel if posted to multiple threads.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    what strengths...this is going to be like making a woman with a 100 pounds of clay if you ask me.....
  16. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Just
    Just put him on ignore. I've put a ton of the negative nancys like him on my list. It's amazing how much more pleasant most threads are without having to read the same tired anti-Muschamp posts multiple times per page on every thread.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,110

Well some serious intensity from the players would be nice. I totally agree with that.
  18. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,110
    LOL Great idea! Welcome to ignore!

Happy Holidays!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,379
    Not so sure. The system Pease ran here was very similar to the one that he ran at Baylor, when their message board complaints mirrored those here. I think people think that the Pease system and the Boise system are one in the same. Well a deeper look at Pease's history says otherwise. We got the Pease system ...and IMHO that was the problem.

Did Will play it to conservative? Absolutely. ...But our excitement for Pease was based on not looking deep enough. Baylor fans were screaming about his system years before we were.
  20. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    I try not to use the ignore feature unless the poster is just unbearable. The problem is- if we all use it, there will be nobody to counter all the negative, counterproductive posts. Many people read this board, (recruits/parents) we need to keep a good balance. Otherwise, it would be gloom and doom all the time.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1