The one thing I like most about Coach Roper...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

I hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday. I have saw a few Duke games but other than that I know very little about our new OC, coach Roper but their is one thing that I like alot already that I believe has been overlooked: His confidence that he can improve this offense and make it great.

Think about this, he is willing to leave a football team that he knows that he could've been there a long time and perhaps be the HC at someday. Furthermore, he is willing to uproot his family from a guaranteed job to come to what could very well turn out to be a 1-year proposition that could potentially leave him out of a job...if there is even a little doubt, he wouldn't have taken this job. If coach Roper is this confident to do what i stated above, then I'm inclined to have as much confidence in him until he proves me otherwise. What say you?
    BastogneGator and AFCyberGator like this.
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

The one thing I like is that we got him on the cheap! $600K? How did we pull that off?
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Don't know but my guess is he has a buyout if there's a staff change and he's not retained.
  4. j7

j7 Member

Is that cheap? I mean relative to his resume.
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Maybe he's been told he's the head coach in waiting.

Just kidding. I think things are going to work out all right. Players just have to quit getting hurt.
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Me thinks it is also about getting a multi-year contract instead of an annual one. And the higher profile will give him better chances for a HC gig. Unless things line out and he and his family like Gainesville, I see him as a two-year coach, which is fine if things work out well on offense.
  7. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

He's at the point in his career that he can take a chance at Florida and if it pays off, his stock will skyrocket.

If it doesn't work out, Muschamp will be blamed, not him. Roper can collect his buyout and take his pick of OC jobs and try somewhere else.
    Bradass likes this.
  8. theghost

Absolutely! No way he came here without buyout. I just didn't see anything that said if it was a 3 year deal.

And yes, $600K is a lot of money to most of us....but it's now the going rate for good major college assistants. When Jeff Bowden got canned at FSU he was making $105K/year....and that wasn't really that long ago, less than 8-9 years ago. I imagine in the late 90's most position coaches at the bigger schools (UF, Bama, Texas, Ohio State, etc) were barely making $90K.
  9. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Last time I checked $600k was a good deal money for most assistants and a kings ranson for most people.
    Ofg8r likes this.
  10. tommyuf21

More than a lot of head coaches at smaller D-1 schools.
  11. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

His press conference was impressive. Figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of the QB and OL prior to developing a system around that sounds cliche but any football fan knows that it is typically not the way coaches coach. The biggest advantage of climbing up the ladder through smaller schools is being forced to adapt to personnel as they do not have the benefit of loading up with great talent year in and year out. Hopefully, Roper is a success. Our talent on O next year will be as good as it has been since 2009. If the D keeps us in games the first 4-5 weeks hopefully the new O will gel and succeed.
    Distant Gator likes this.
  12. tommyuf21

He has to figure out how to get the best out of Driskel and get Grier prepared as quickly as possible.

It's a challenging job, but if he pulls it out, his ticket to a big time job is stamped. At 42, it's a great opportunity. I sure hope he's successful. I cannot imagine having to go through another 4-5 years of mediocre to poor offense.
  13. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

The first thing he really needs to do is to get the OL playing at a high level. That will greatly help JD and the development of Grier. The next thing is that he needs to find a TE. There is no QB in football, college or pro, that is successful without leaning on easy throws to TEs. We see this year in and year out, you need a TE in the middle of the field. If he can do both, getting JD to play at a high level will not be hard. Further, developing the WRs and RBs considering next years talent at those positions will be his easiest task. If you look at his distribution and numbers at the RB position at Duke, it plays well for us considering we will have 4-5 legit guys next season ready to carry the rock.
  14. MyakkaGator

I would almost bet that's a base...and he gets bonuses based on performance goals.
  15. theghost

I agree, but that's not the point. Of course $600K is a lot of money. But in the world of Big Time CFB it's about the going rate for a good OC.

We paid Weis $800K & Pease $600K. One of the main reasons this job (UF OC in 2014) was going to be difficult to fill is the fact that Muschamp.....and the new OC could be out on their ass if next season is a failure. Any OC willing to take this job is risking moving his family again in 1 year if Muschamp gets canned. So, my point was (IMO), we got this guy pretty cheap (same salary as Pease) considering the circumstances. Honestly, I figured we'd have to pay close to, or more than, 7 figures (like Chad Morris at Clemson). So $600K is a relative bargain.
  16. MyakkaGator

and buy into the system...that includes recruits as well. as far as the players go, it should be easy to get them to buy in...they don't want to live 2013 and should have MASSIVE chips on their shoulders.
  17. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Yes, great point about the need for TE production. It is always the QB's security blanket. It can also serve as an "enforcer" on the offensive side of the ball. If a LB gets a good smack our WR's, we let a big, strong, tough TE block him into the grass right on his rear end on the very next play. Sets the tone and fires up the Defense. Hope we can get our TE's up to speed soon. Go Gators
  18. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

What was Roper making at Duke? $600K is the same amount that Pease made, sounds like a bargain! :D
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Under the circumstances this is about as good as we could do. I'm pulling for him to get this O jumpstarted. Of course no OC will help unless we get the blocking worked out.
  20. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member