The One and Done: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,794
    So, what you are saying is "I party...and then I take a lot of showers." :D

Just having some fun. I don't really like sanctimonious rants on either side of the issue. This is going to be a "spirited" week of dialog.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    1 title, 3 elite eights, 1st round loss NCAA
    1 title, 2 final fours, 1 elite eight, 1st round loss NIT

Billy did this with less talent (but is that future or current talent always?), but you'd have to say Cal did it with a lot less experience.

Either way, I can't think of another coach who could beat either of these lines over the past 5 years. That's impressive.
  3. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I am in favor of letting those that think they can make it in the NBA after high school to do exactly that. I believe Donovan is 100% correct in saying that forcing a kid into college when he has doesn't want to be there is wrong.

I love the college game. I hardly watch the pros at all. The story lines, watching kids develop and make something of themselves as individuals and as a team is gratifying. If there are any better stores this year than our four seniors I would like to see it. Winning is important but for me watching your kids succeed makes it special. What a year we have had. If we don';t go all the way so be it. I will be disappointed but I will be never be more proud of our kids and the manner in which they conducted themselves these past years. We are enjoying the success because of the struggles in watching our team come of age.

Do you think Randle or any of KY freshman five care about their school or "KY basketball tradition"? I would think not. To me that's what separates the college game from the pros, and makes it really fun to watch.

Given Calapari's history...two final four vacated for various reasons, and his "ability" to convince NBA players to hang out for a year at his NBA farm team makes makes a mockery out of the college game. Let the KY fans root for the laundry their new team wears each year.

Our season, whichever way it turns out, has been a truly gratifying experience.

Now...lets win two more and finish the job. Go Gators.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I wrote on this topic a couple years ago. . . .

Its kinda long, but here was and is my opinion:

Out with the new… in with the newer.

Is this the emerging mantra for college basketball? It certainly has been applicable in recent years for a handful of programs, most notably, our rival, Kentucky Wildcats. The one-and-done approach has been dissected, discussed and debated… but after cruising to

National Title with three starting-and-departing freshmen, Coach John Calipari presumably answered all questions relating to his philosophy's potential for success.

So what arguments remain?

Cat fans will say, "None. Case closed. Court… and its players…dismissed".

But there is more to this still raging debate, this frequent forum fracas.

And no, I am not referring to the oft asked question, "Is this

good for college basketball?".

There are other questions… ones frequently ignored, but

perhaps inherently answered by the euphoria of the title-fed fat cats of the SEC.

Those questions, for which I will render verdict, are: "Is the

one-and-done approach good for fans? And more importantly, should Florida adopt the recruiting style of its SEC nemesis?"

Now, a preface to this discussion is required. It must be stated that it’s well within the rules to load a roster with single-season stars.

And though Coach Calipari and some Kentucky fans may dispute this as a designed tactic… it is.

It is also entirely allowable, and wildly successful.

Though the Florida Gators recruit many of these same one-timers who land at Kentucky, it is presumably not with the expectation, and perhaps not even the intention of landing all. Kentucky, however, "expects", "intends" and generally "lands".

On April 2, I watched Davis, Teague and Kidd-Gilchrist climb the ladder and snip down the nets.

"Damn-it! I wish this was Flori . . .," I interrupted my own thought and quickly replaced it with another.

"We will have a great team next year," I consoled myself as the names "Boynton", "Murphy" and "Young" bounced on my brain.

I had presumed Bradley Beal was departing, and though I was excited for the NBA's next Gator… my mind was already on the returning players.

"It will be the last season for Kenny and Erik," I quietly lamented.

I have not missed a Gator "Senior Day" in many, many years. And though such events are becoming less frequent in college basketball, they always serve as reminder of what I enjoy most about the game I so passionately follow: The Players.

I do not root simply for a jersey, nor its colors alone. Sure, the

"F-L-O-R-I-D-A" stretched across the front garners my allegiance, but it is the name on the back . . . the player, by extension...the teammates and ultimately, collectively.... the team, that captures my fanhood and loyalty.

Boynton, Murphy, Young, Rosario, Wilbekin, Yeguete, Prather, Larson, Kurtz… Florida Gators.

Basketball is the consummate team sport, but the individuals. . . their stories, sacrifices, struggles, growth, development and triumphs, I find most compelling.

Can Will Yeguete return to form as a frenetic, fearless and disruptive force following a season-ending injury?

Will Kenny and Erik cap terrific Gator careers with special seasons that propel their team and basketball futures?

Can Patric Young re-discover that inner-beast that made him an such an imposing presence?

Will Mike Rosario be able to channel flashes of brilliance and ignite a Gator career that seems packed with potential?

Can the unheralded local kid from "The Rock" solidify his surprising role and perhaps become a critical component?

Will the Casey Prather light that was seemingly switched 'on' with a thunderous dunk stay illuminated or flicker inconsistently?

Such questions… and answers…not only shape the season, but mold my fanhood.

And though freshmen infuse talent and certainly carry questions of their own, those are usually superficial.

Will he play?

Can he contribute?

What can we expect?

A freshman departing for the NBA after an inaugural season has presumably answered each of those to critical acclaim, but for me, there is a longing for more. There is a bit of emptiness in the 'relationship'… a "So-long, we hardly knew ya" sentiment.

My mother (and my wife) reads these columns so this analogy may be ill-advised, but the "one-and-done" feels like the basketball equivalent of a one-night stand.

Whamm, bam, thank-you ma'am.

Swish, slam, thank you, sir.

The "thank-you" is sincere, by the way... and not because I want my mom to believe I am polite, even if inappropriate. I know full-well, without Bradley Beal our 2011 season is much different and far shorter.

And like the fore mentioned players, he was... is... a heckuva Gator! I do not intend to infer otherwise... that somehow a single-season departure diminishes a player's status. Bradley Beal had a terrific year as a Florida Gator, and I will cheer his NBA career.

Like any ‘relationship’, however, the one between fan and player grows stronger and more complex with the passage of time. The fan learns more about the player, understands strengths and weaknesses, witnesses improvement and development and shares trials and triumphs.

A long-time fan is, generally, a most dedicated one.

Hey, while I am on the subject of long-term fan/player

'relationships', I need to get something off my chest.

Boomer Esiason: It's over.

Despite twenty-eight years of Bengals fanhood that peaked under your tenure, we are through.

Cut Tim Tebow??

Beat-it, Boomer. And take your crummy poster with you.

Whew... I feel better.

Now, back to the topic and my verdict:

I am a married man, but to the chagrin of my wife, retain some single friends. They hit the bars and clubs…and "recruit one-and-done players", if you know what I mean. Like Kentucky, they are very succes… ugh, this analogy is getting away from me.

Alright, the bottom line is this: There is more to forming a team and building a program than simply winning. The "how" of the equation can be equally important. As a fan who appreciates the opportunity to follow players' careers, but also enjoys the spoils of victory, I could not more strongly endorse an approach than I do that of our own Billy Donovan. I have witnessed the fleeting, but terrific careers of players like Donnell Harvey and Bradley Beal, whose incredible skills helped propel the Gators to National Runner-Up and Elite Eight seasons, respectively.

I have also been fortunate enough to enjoy lengthier tenures of players like Udonis Haslem, David Lee, Matt Bonner, Joakim Noah, Lee Humphrey, Chandler Parsons, Erving Walker and many more. I grimaced during their early struggles, marveled at their development and exalted in their achievements,

So, in the end, my verdict is best summarized with a "basketball fan’s personal ad":

Fan seeks long-term, meaningful and successful relationships, with the occasional 1-year fling. (Basketball, honey… I am talking about basketball!)
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    This seems quite subjective to me. To me, it seems there is evidence suggesting that Florida's best senior hasn't exactly cared about "Florida basketball tradition." I don't see evidence that UK's freshmen don't care about KY basketball tradition. That being said, I'm not sure they necessarily do either.

I also don't buy into the fact that players who stay longer care more. Sure, they have more time to have that kind of stuff sink in. But from what I've seen and heard of UK's players under Cal, there hasn't been a player that cared less about school or UK "tradition" than Doron Lamb. He stayed a second year - unlike all those freshmen that had an option that he didn't. I'd guess Brad Beal has actually cared more about the University of Florida than some multi-year players have also.

Also, some of you are talking as if UK fans never get to enjoy ANY of the things UF fans enjoy. AKA's article talked about getting to project how players will develop or to what degree they'll contribute the following year. UK fans get to do this also, just not with as many players. I have a lot of fun thinking about what guys like Dominique Hawkins will turn into (I'm hoping the next Darius Miller - just smaller). I've loved watching Poythress improve. His contributions this month have been invaluable. How about Marcus Lee too? You guys see him last night?
  6. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    The Wilbekin story is one of redemption and perseverance. Given the chance to transfer or earn his way back on the team, Scottie took the latter. I think that speaks volumes.
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    The best line at the UK- Michigan game yesterday was about Marcus Lee, redifining what is meant by one and done.

(I hope that doesn't apply to Chris Walker's UCLA performance)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Merely clicking the "Winner" rep under this post does not do it justice. In this and your other posts, but especially this one, you really did get the better of this exchange. Could not agree with all your sentiments more.

If the sophomore starters of our 2005/06 Championship team had all left after that season, I would have regarded that team as a flash in the pan of talented upstarts who won us a nice trophy but then left to follow individual pursuits. The fact that they stayed for another year is what makes those guys so beloved to me, and I imagine to many other Gators as well.

Not just that they came back and won it again, but that they came back again. They did not cash in and bail out at the first opportunity. They loved being Florida Gators, they loved our school, they loved Gainesville, they loved and supported the other athletic programs, they loved being together with US. And so we loved them, and always will.

It is better to win the way our current Gator team has done -- by gradually learning and mastering the team game over the course of their college careers -- than to slap together a freshman squad of high-school all-stars and win as a result of merely having the more athletically gifted players.

Now, you can argue that if you want. You can say winning is winning, and one way is not better than another way. But if you will not admit that it IS better to win with a lineup of devoted multi-year players instead of one-and-done mercenaries, then certainly you must at least admit that it FEELS better.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    I think that we might have turned down Wiggins. Both parents were Seminoles. Yuck.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    This is another EXCELLENT post. There have been several in this thread. This subject has inspired some of you guys to share some good thoughts that I share right along with you.

Buddhist is to be commended for being diplomatic, because reading between the lines of what he wrote about relationships, I think there was something left unsaid out of polite consideration for the UK fans who have joined us in this thread. Me, I don't like rival posters so I don't mind putting this out there:

The main reason the whole student/athlete/university RELATIONSHIP thing is not as important or meaningful to UK basketball fans as it is to Gator fans is probably because the percentage of the latter who actually attended the university in question is way, way, WAY higher than that of the former.

I've eaten more than my share of Burrito Brothers. I bet Scotty Wilbekin has, too. I can picture him waiting in line for his order, or getting his hair cut at Athletic Cuts right below the Copper Monkey, or sharing sushi with a date at Dragonfly. I imagine there are similar iconic spots around the UK campus in Lexington...that are totally unfamiliar to a whole lot of Wildcats hoops fans.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +513
    I loved that, too. But it's important to qualify that the NBA-level players on that team with the exception of Corey Brewer were rich. Noah was rich, Green was rich and I think Holford's folks were well-off, too. Their motivations were different than a lot of kids who might have the chance to play in the NBA.

Doesn't take away from them, but it's something to keep in mind when holding them up as paragons. They didn't have a lot of the pressures on them that other kids might.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +600
    I think we all are not happy with the one and done ideal.....this is something that is rare. It shouldn't be a common thing at all.

Jeff
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    I have heard rumor that maybe his suspension was from caring too much about a "Florida student tradition" :cool:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,794
    It may be a UF student tradition...but I don't remember.:oops:
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    I would agree that on a certain level, it doesn't matter that much. That's why I use aesthetic terms (like "butt-ugly" :cool:) rather than moral terms when describing my extreme dislike of the UK program under Cal. I think we're discussing issues a little more meaty than whether I disagree with my wife about whether The Three Stooges is funny, but maybe not much more profound than that awesome argument.

And, my "lectures" are specifically targeted at Cal's UK program. As soon as Cal is gone, I presume* I'll be pulling for the Cats as an SEC representative like I always did before Cal arrived.

* - unless UK hires a "mini-Cal" or something to take his place.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +600
    Whoever takes veer for Calipari I feel sorry for....going to be a tough gig!

Jeff
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    I assume Cal's replacement's first task will be to re-stock the cupboard from scratch.
  18. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +600
    We shall see when the times comes...that would be fun though! I always like a challenge and the early Pitino teams were some of my favs...I'm game!!
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,873
    UK fans make the mistake of thinking we don't like what Calipari is doing because it's UK. We don't like what Calipari is doing because of what he's doing and has been doing for a long time. Two programs on probation behind him are evidence of who he is.

But he is good enough at covering tracks, and playing the game, so the NCAA just hits the programs and not him. Something I still don't understand.

If his track record holds true, you're next. And you asked for it. And paid for it. Handsomely.

A program like Kentucky deserves a helluva lot better.

How will you feel about your championship(s) under him when they're vacated? And your university is associated with improper recruiting (reported $200K for Davis) and academic violations as is his modus operandi?

I'll take Donovan all day long whether we win more championships or not.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    Man, I think you need to step away from the keyboard. You're leaning dangerously into Bert territory with your Cal defenses and quasi-antagonistic posts.