The Official "I need help with a new TV purchase" thread

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by helix139, Aug 8, 2007.

1. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Welcome to the Club! Now, that you enjoy the sound, take a look at this beauty http://www.seatsandchairs.com/transducer.html

I installed these in my media room and they are AWESOME. You get the sensation of about 5x the bass, without the need of tons of power. And if you live in an apartment, your neighbors won't call the cops on you while you watch your action flicks. Best of all, they are pretty damn cheap.
  2. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    I think Im going to grab this one at Costco.

It sounds nice. Helix, those you pointed out were a little expensive for me. Im just a college kid with a part time job.:nervous smile:
  3. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Can't go wrong with Sharp. I forgot to look at those
  4. atlzamgator

atlzamgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    ok, been lurking for a while-checking prices and such:

What is your total home theater budget (TV and surround system)?
    <$2500

2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you value sound as compared to your TV? 1 is you don't care at all about sound, you just want a TV, and 10 is you HAVE to have the best surround sound, even if it may cut back on your TV size and quality.

4 to 5

3. Do you have any specific discount club memberships? (i.e. Sam's, Costco, etc.)

no

4. Do you need to wall mount it or have other reasons you would only consider flat panel and not rear projection or front projection?

nope

4. Any restrictions on size?

none, but budget may play a role

5. What is your typical viewing distance going to be?

no more than 6-8 feet

6. Do you plan to use it as a computer monitor?

no
    7. Do you plan to game on it? if so, what system(s)?
    no
    8. On a scale of (1) to (10), rate which is more important to you within your size restrictions, picture quality, or size? (1) being quality is most important (i.e. you are willing to sacrifice a few inches for the best picture possible as long as it meets your minimum needed size ), and (10) being size is most important (i.e. picture quality is not important at all if you can get the biggest screen possible).

1-quality
    then size

9. Are there any brands you definitely prefer? Are there any you definitely dislike?

olivia and the lower ends don't impress
    10. Do you have to buy your TV in a brick and mortar store (i.e. Best Buy) or would you be willing to buy it online?

brick and mortar

11. What is the layout of your room, and where will your TV be situated? be sure to disclose any windows, lamps, or other ambient light sources that you would not be willing to cover with curtains (NOT blinds).

tv would against a wall, the front of the room has floor to ceiling windows with wood blinds and black out curtains

12. Do you have an available wall that is 60" or larger and are you willing to consider front projection?

no

13. Any aesthetic requirements we should be aware of?

none
    14. Do you have any discounts with any retailers or vendors?
    none
    15. What is your typical viewing content? (dramas, sports, action, etc.)?

sports
    16. Are you planning on a professional installation, or are you the DIY type?
    DIY if possible ...

Saw this one and it may work best ...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phil...sem/rpsm/oid/185705/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

and this one ... @ best buy

Westinghouse - 47" 1080p LCD Flat-Panel HDTV
    Reg. Price: $1,499.99
    You Save: $100.00
    Sale: $1,399.99
    TX-47F430S

any and all help/comments/snickers are appreciated!
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    At 6-8 feet, you could easily go as small as 42" and still appreciate the HD quality.

As for the two sets you posted, I can attest to the Philips. I have a the 42PFL7432, which is the 42" equivalent to your set with amibilight added. The only other difference is a backlit remote. I chose it over comparable Samsung, Sharp, and Sony sets and the picture is absolutely stunning. Make sure you go into a store and view the 47" philips you are looking at from 6-8' to be sure the set isn't too big for your viewing distance. You can't go wrong with either the 42" or the 47" philips, however. One thing i should point out is that at that size (50" and under) and your usage (No gaming or computer monitor), you don't have any need for 1080p, so you could save yourself some money by going with 720p. check out Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas in the 42-50" range, in addition to 720p LCDs by Sony, Samsung, Philips, Sharp, and LG. Put the rest into sound and you can't go wrong.
  6. atlzamgator

atlzamgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    thanks helix, i appreciate you taking the time to reply ... great advice!
  7. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Anytime! Let everyone know what you end up going with and your opinions of it.

One more thing I should add: Make sure your prospective TV has at least 2 HDMI ports and go on avsforums and find threads for the particular model you're looking for. Browse them for panel settings (color, sharpness, brightness, etc) and use these when you go into the store to compare them to get a much better idea of what the set is capable of, rather than which one can appear the brightest. I've seen a couple older panasonics around that only accept component inputs. This is more of a factor if you decide to go with a cheaper plasma or lower end LCD. Remember: You generally get what you pay for (Except Sony. They are overpriced IMO and Philips, Sammy, LG, and Sharp are just as good).
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Second this advice. I would also recommend that if you are comparing two tvs and they are not set up next to each other ask the store clerk to place them side by side. They will do it and it is the only way to get a real good feel for them side by side with the optimal adjusted settings. HDMI (I only have one) is also one of the things I overlooked and am kicking myself for it now.
  9. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Leaf-

just an FYI...monoprice.com has HDMI switches of both the powered and unpowered variety for very reasonable prices.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Thanks I will check that out.
  11. nphgator

nphgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Here we go:

1. Would like to spend around $500, but if not possible I could try and save up more.

2. 1, just want a tv no surrond sound necessary

3. I get an employee discount with Dell, but it is small (under 10% I believe)

4. It doesn't have to be wall mounted, but a flat panel would be cool.

4. No restrictions on size, but I don't want anything too big (is that even possible...lol)

5. Approx 5-10 feet.

6. No.

7. This tv will be used mainly for playing my Xbox 360.

8. 3, I mainly want a good quality image with good response time for the gaming.

9. No preference on brands.

10. I'd buy it online to save money.

11. The tv will be setup in a corner between a fireplace and a sliding glass door, the slider has black out curtains and the backyard is very shaded with trees.

12. Don't have that much available wall space.

13. No requirements here.

14. No other discounts.

15. Sports and gaming.

16. Either.

17. Not necessary to wall mount, actually prefer not to.

18. No other requirements.
  12. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Given your viewing distance, you'd be happiest with a decent quality 32" LCD, but given your budget, you can afford a nice 26" or a budget 32". I'd save up an extra $100-200 and go with a 32" philips, sharp, or sammy. I started with a black friday budget 26" Olevia and i was happy with it at first, but the more you look at budget TV's, the more you can tell their colors just arent as vibrant and the blacks aren't that deep and are more gray and blob-like rather than detailed. Additionally, they lack adequate inputs and usually do a terrible job with any sort of scaling. Standard def TV looks better on my 42" 1080p Philips than my 26" 720p Olevia. All things equal, the opposite should be true.
  13. nphgator

nphgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Helix.
  14. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    One other thing: If you don't mind the cabinet or the weight, you could always look into CRT.
  15. ufrulz2

ufrulz2 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    What is this CRT thing of which you speak? Methinks you're referring to another era. ;)

My 50" Samsung plasma is still rockin' 4 weeks later!! :)
  16. ReefDonkey

ReefDonkey New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your expertise! I am oufitting a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer for tailgating. Considering a 32-40 inch HDTV run by directv.

1. What is your total home theater budget (TV and surround system)? 1500???

2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you value sound as compared to your TV? 1 is you don't care at all about sound, you just want a TV, and 10 is you HAVE to have the best surround sound, even if it may cut back on your TV size and quality. 5

3. Do you have any specific discount club memberships? (i.e. Sam's, Costco, etc.) Sam's and Costco

4. Do you need to wall mount it or have other reasons you would only consider flat panel and not rear projection or front projection? Must be wall mountable.

4. Any restrictions on size? I would think anything over 42 would be too heavy for my application.

5. What is your typical viewing distance going to be? 6-10 feet

6. Do you plan to use it as a computer monitor? No

7. Do you plan to game on it? if so, what system(s)? PS3 occasionally

8. On a scale of (1) to (10), rate which is more important to you within your size restrictions, picture quality, or size? (1) being quality is most important (i.e. you are willing to sacrifice a few inches for the best picture possible as long as it meets your minimum needed size ), and (10) being size is most important (i.e. picture quality is not important at all if you can get the biggest screen possible). 5

9. Are there any brands you definitely prefer? Are there any you definitely dislike? Open

10. Do you have to buy your TV in a brick and mortar store (i.e. Best Buy) or would you be willing to buy it online? Prefer brick and mortar

11. What is the layout of your room, and where will your TV be situated? be sure to disclose any windows, lamps, or other ambient light sources that you would not be willing to cover with curtains (NOT blinds). See above

12. Do you have an available wall that is 60" or larger and are you willing to consider front projection? No

13. Any aesthetic requirements we should be aware of? No

14. Do you have any discounts with any retailers or vendors? No

15. What is your typical viewing content? (dramas, sports, action, etc.)? Sports

16. Are you planning on a professional installation, or are you the DIY type? DIY

17. If you get a flat panel, will you want to wall mount it and will you want a stationary mount or something that pulls out from the wall and pivots your TV to an angle? Ideally, but not sure it would work.

18. Anything else we should be aware of (i.e. mounting over fireplace, etc.)? No
  17. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Interesting project. Are you going to have seating, etc. within the trailer or will people be sitting outside? Is the TV going to be on a short wall or a long wall? Given any thought to air conditioning and power for everything in the trailer?

I can already tell you you'll want an LCD, due to lower energy requirements and less risk of glare. A Samsung, Sharp, Philips, or Sony in the 37-42" range should do you nicely. Put whatever you don't spend on that into a decent HTIB. in Remember that a wall-mount will run anywhere from $100-450 depending on how extensive its features. Also remember that a 40"+ LCD will run upwards of 60 lbs, and trailers don't have studs to mount through.
  18. ReefDonkey

ReefDonkey New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    No seating within. I will be setting up a tent at the back doors. My idea is to mount a piece of plywood on heavy duty hinges to swing the TV from the sidewall out to the door opening at the rear. The mount will be attached to the plywood and there will be some sort of device to pin the plywood in place once it is swung and also when it is against the wall for travel. For now, a/c is for later. I will try fans and see how it goes. The only advantage of a/c would be to have a place to go cool off, but I don't think much time will be spent in the trailer. I bought a 2000 watt Honda generator yesterday and it should run everything I need such as tv, receiver, surround, fans, lights, kegerator, etc... Walmart has a Samsung T3732HX with free mount for $1078. I will be using a Sony HTIB from my home as it is about 5 years old and would not cry if/when it gets ruined. There are some metal studs to use, but I am goiing to try and avoid using them if I can come up with a better mounting solution. Thanks again fro your recs...
  19. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    Should be fairly easy to adapt, though I would recommend something a little more rigid than plywood for your mounting surface. You'll be able to run the wires right through the panel though for a clean appearance. As far as the TV, check Sam's and Costco. There are better deals to be had than that Samsung.
  20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    I want to hang with Reefdonkey.