The Official "I need help with a new TV purchase" thread

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by helix139, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aloy

Aloy New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-P50H401-HD1080-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000MTCJPI

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hitachi/p50h401-ph401/
  2. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
  3. ufrulz2

ufrulz2 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Hey, Helix, just thought I'd follow up with you. After analyzing the costs, the size of the room, and several other factors, we decided to buy a 42" plasma. We ultimately bought the 42" Samsung HPT4234 for about $1150 at Sam's Club. So far, we've been very very happy with it. I'll know more once we get our HD cable boxes later today.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
  4. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    Now you have about $1K left in your budget to get some sound with that 42 incher.

Check this system out: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/cinema-6.aspx

The only thing you need to add is a decent A/V receiver which I have choosen for you as well

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=148425&WT.mc_n=92&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=NEXTAG&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=92

Now, get er done!
  5. Gatorbone7

Gatorbone7 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I am looking for a new TV for my apartment. Here are my answers to the questions.

1. What is your total home theater budget (TV and surround system)?
    $2,500 ish. 1,800 for the TV is in my price range. Not much more.
    2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you value sound as compared to your TV? 1 is you don't care at all about sound, you just want a TV, and 10 is you HAVE to have the best surround sound, even if it may cut back on your TV size and quality. 3. I much more care about TV than sound.

3. Do you have any specific discount club memberships? (i.e. Sam's, Costco, etc.)Nope

4. Do you need to wall mount it or have other reasons you would only consider flat panel and not rear projection or front projection? I'm in an apartment so I can NOT wall mount it.

4. Any restrictions on size? No. I'd like 50ish that seems to be in the price range depending on what brand I go with.

5. What is your typical viewing distance going to be?
    16 feet with almost all of the viewing being in front of the TV (not much side seats).
    6. Do you plan to use it as a computer monitor?
    Nope
    7. Do you plan to game on it? if so, what system(s)?
    Yes, some with a PS3
    8. On a scale of (1) to (10), rate which is more important to you within your size restrictions, picture quality, or size? (1) being quality is most important (i.e. you are willing to sacrifice a few inches for the best picture possible as long as it meets your minimum needed size ), and (10) being size is most important (i.e. picture quality is not important at all if you can get the biggest screen possible).
    5. I want 50 ish and would rather have bigger as long as picture is still good.
    9. Are there any brands you definitely prefer? Are there any you definitely dislike? No but I don't want to go the bargain basement models. I'd rather pay a little more now than pay later when the thing blows up.

10. Do you have to buy your TV in a brick and mortar store (i.e. Best Buy) or would you be willing to buy it online? I would rather buy from a brick and mortor store but I would be willing to order it from a brick and mortor's website (circuit city or bestbuy.com).

11. What is the layout of your room, and where will your TV be situated? be sure to disclose any windows, lamps, or other ambient light sources that you would not be willing to cover with curtains (NOT blinds).
    Room is 16 by 13. TV will be on one far wall with couch on extreme opposite of room. One window with covering. No light gets through if I don't want it to. Small table lamps with covers at the couch (don't shine on tv).

12. Do you have an available wall that is 60" or larger and are you willing to consider front projection? No, not an option

13. Any aesthetic requirements we should be aware of?
    None.
    14. Do you have any discounts with any retailers or vendors?
    Nope
    15. What is your typical viewing content? (dramas, sports, action, etc.)?
    HD will be sports but other than that a little bit of everything. Obviously I would like better quality for sports and action cause that's when it matters.
    16. Are you planning on a professional installation, or are you the DIY type?
    DIY
    17. If you get a flat panel, will you want to wall mount it and will you want a stationary mount or something that pulls out from the wall and pivots your TV to an angle?
    Needs to fit on an entertainment center, NOT wall mount. Entertainment center isn't included in the budget above.
    18. Anything else we should be aware of (i.e. mounting over fireplace, etc.)?
    Nope.

Any help you guys can provide would be great. I'm really trying to figure out what kind to get in my price range. I've been looking at Circuit city and they have a good amount of 50ish inches in my price range. I'm really confused on if I want rear projection and if some LCD rear projection or DLP. I don't want to save a couple hundred bucks now only to spend it in a year or two replacing a bulb.
  6. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    Rear projection is an excellent option. With the right rear projection TV you'd be getting the best picture possible (better than any flat panel) in addition to a lower price. Sony's SXRD is one I can highly recommend, as are Samsung's LED DLPs. At that viewing distance, you'd want to look at a 55-60 inch. Additionally, if you're worried about bulb replacements, look at Panasonic's new LCZ (1080p) and LCX (720p) lines, which feature their new LIFI bulbs. Supposedly these bulbs will never need replacing. I'd look at the 56" LCZ model if I were you.

You can read about them below:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/22/panasonic-ships-lcz-lcx-lifi-rear-projection-hdtvs/
  7. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Im thinking about buying a 26" Vizio from Wal-Mart. I just want to know if it is a quality company or if i should steer clear. Its a HDTV for under 400 bucks.
  8. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    At that size, you can spend a little more and do much better quality-wise
  9. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Costco has the 37 inch Vizio LCD (37L) for $750, plus tax. Does anyone know anything about this set--whether that's a decent deal?
  10. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    The bad thing I have heard about Vizio is that their sets have an undefeatable overscan and tend to stretch an image slightly horizontally. This means that circles will be more like ovals. Again, I would suggest paying a little bit more and getting something of better quality. My first HD set was a budget set (Olevia, who was fairly good when i bought it) but compared to sony, samsung, philips, lg, and sharp, it is no contest.
  11. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Helix: thanks for the info!
  12. ufrulz2

ufrulz2 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Hey Helix,

More follow-up. After about two days with the 42" Samsung, my wife -- my wonderful wife! -- said to me, "I think the TV is too small." So we returned the set and replaced it with the 50" Samsung HPT5034. We're really pleased we did -- the set fits much better in our family room. The picture, by the way, is phenomenal; it was great watching a lot of college football on it over the weekend.

Did I marry well, or what?!

Thanks again for all of the advice!
  13. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    Does she have a sister? :laugh:
  14. FrankGator627

Ratings Received:
    +758
    any suggestions? we are looking for a 26 inch for the bedroom.
  15. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    Frank,

32" isn't that much more than 26" nowdays. That said, what kind of budget are you looking at?
  16. FrankGator627

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Probably no more than 600. thats why the Vizio was so enticing.
  17. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    Frank-

check out the Samsung LNT2642H and the Toshiba 26HL67
  18. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    Helix--make sure you leave some $$$ in the bank for audio when you are doling out advice.:yes:

Remember, a TV without good audio is like sex without a woman....it may seem nice at the time, but it is just missing something!:joecool:
  19. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    For just a bedroom set of that size, my guess is they have another room for their theater when they want something really immersive.
  20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Not a question, but I finally pulled the trigger.

A mitsubishi 65733 dlp from best buy (price match with circuit city) for $1899. I did spring for a klipsch speaker package similar to what uflawyer posted above, but the fronts and center are bigger. I bought a Pioneer vsx1016 receiver for $500. Have about as much in the surround sound as the tv when you throw in cables and a harmony remote. (Can someone program this damn thing??)

Overall, the SD channels absolutely rock on this tv. And I have yet to tweak the settings. Surround sound (saw a trailer for Fantastic Four) and was speechless. And that was on an old dvd player (480p).

HD with no surround sound is like kissing your sister. HTIB can be had for much cheaper. Don't skimp on the receiver though. Speakers can be replaced much easier.