The Official "I need help with a new TV purchase" thread

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by helix139, Aug 8, 2007.

1. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    OK, since there have been several of these questions recently, I decided to make a short questionaire for anyone who needs help deciding on a new TV. Those of us who know TVs end up asking all these questions anyways and it will help us narrow down the choices for you. If anyone has any additional criteria that should be added to the questionaire, let me know and I'll put it in.

1. What is your total home theater budget (TV and surround system)?

2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you value sound as compared to your TV? 1 is you don't care at all about sound, you just want a TV, and 10 is you HAVE to have the best surround sound, even if it may cut back on your TV size and quality. (If you already have a surround system and do not wish to buy a new one, answer 1 here)

3. Do you have any specific discount club memberships? (i.e. Sam's, Costco, etc.)

4. Do you need to wall mount it or have other reasons you would only consider flat panel and not rear projection or front projection?

4. Any restrictions on size?

5. What is your typical viewing distance going to be?

6. Do you plan to use it as a computer monitor?

7. Do you plan to game on it? if so, what system(s)?

8. On a scale of (1) to (10), rate which is more important to you within your size restrictions, picture quality, or size? (1) being quality is most important (i.e. you are willing to sacrifice a few inches for the best picture possible as long as it meets your minimum needed size ), and (10) being size is most important (i.e. picture quality is not important at all if you can get the biggest screen possible).

9. Are there any brands you definitely prefer? Are there any you definitely dislike?

10. Do you have to buy your TV in a brick and mortar store (i.e. Best Buy) or would you be willing to buy it online?

11. What is the layout of your room, and where will your TV be situated? be sure to disclose any windows, lamps, or other ambient light sources that you would not be willing to cover with curtains (NOT blinds).

12. Do you have an available wall that is 60" or larger and are you willing to consider front projection?

13. Any aesthetic requirements we should be aware of?

14. Do you have any discounts with any retailers or vendors?

15. What is your typical viewing content? (dramas, sports, action, etc.)?

16. Are you planning on a professional installation, or are you the DIY type?

17. If you get a flat panel, will you want to wall mount it and will you want a stationary mount or something that pulls out from the wall and pivots your TV to an angle?

18. Anything else we should be aware of (i.e. mounting over fireplace, etc.)?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SteelGator

SteelGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Great idea, and a thorough list of questions. I'm sure LakeGator won't have a problem making it sticky for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    With respect to budget, give a total budget for the whole system, not just the TV. I have a $70K media room and my TV and screen was only $19K. My sound system/DVD/speakers etc were about $12K, the rest of the budget was chairs, install and build out. My remote cost $1K for crying out load.

My everyday system (60in plasma) was about $5k for the TV and about $2500 for the rest. That remote only cost $100 and does basically the same thing. I installed this system my self.

So-- we need to know:

1. Total budget.
    2. Do you prefer big TV or Big sound or balance of the two
    3. Do it your self or pro installed
  4. GatorGamer

GatorGamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This thread couldn't of come at a better time. Anybody know where I can get a bracket to mount my flat screen tv in the corner of two walls?

Thanks,
    gamer
    • Like Like x 1
  5. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    The issue i have with this is twofold:

Many people using this questionaire are probably simply looking for just the TV, as they don't know enough about home theater, and those who do know enough to want a sound system aren't going to need the help
    • Like Like x 1
  6. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    I think what you are looking for is a cantilever mount. You will have to mount it on one of the walls, but the TV can pull out from the wall and be positioned at an angle. As long as you have 2 studs for a larger TV or 1 stud for a smaller (32" or less) TV, you'll be fine
  7. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    A TV without sound is like a girlfriend without lips. You could have one, but why??:joecool:

I speak with experience as I have helped many people pick out "Home theater" equipment. I have never had a buddy happy with his purchase when he blows his whole wad on a TV. You are doing a great disservice if you do not include the topic. Just take a look at all the threads on the subject.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    Point taken. I'll add it.
  9. flpanic

flpanic New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This is great. We are remodeling our house and at the end of this, just before football starts, I am replacing all of the TVs in the house.

The family room has space for a 50-60". My A/V guy wants me to go with the 52" Sharp Aquos LCD.

I have a covered patio that needs an all-weather tv. This one should be at 21".

Masterbedroom should be 36-42".

Kids playroom 32".

My playroom, which is now setup for 3 side by side tv's. I was thinking a 60" and 27s.

Take price out of the equation, not that it doesn't matter, but I would like to hear what people think is best for the situation.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    Does your wife have a younger sister? lol

Seriously though, 52" aquos or Sammy should be awesome in the family room. Also consider rear projection. SXRD's and the new LED DLP's are amazing in PQ.

Dunno about all-weather TVs, but I'm sure you can find something.

For the master bedroom, if you want to wait, get something that is 120hz with LED backlighting. If not, I highly recommend the Phillips 7432. It's a 42" 1080p with Ambilight. I just bought one myself over Samsung, Sony, Sharp, and LG. I thought the picture on the Philips was the best of all of them.

For the kids playroom, I'd go with any Philips, Sammy, Sharp, LG, or Sony in that size. They all do 32" really well, and you said to take price out of the equation. Realistically though, I'd just go with an Olevia or Vizio for them. They wouldn't know the difference.

For the 3 TV setup, go with a 60" pioneer or Panasonic 1080p plasma in the center with a couple 32" Sony, Sammy, Sharp, or LGs on the side. You won't pay much of a premium for 32" as opposed to 27," if you can fit them.
  11. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,904
    Dang lawyer, does that remote make you food and drinks, too?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    I wish. It is a color screen pronto that controls everything with a single push of a button. It nice, but if I had known it was $1K when I bought my system, I would opted for something a little less flashy. Since I had my system installed (and during the process) I have become quite familiar with good and bad choices and where to spend the money. I should write a book.:laugh: That is why I am so adamant about sound. I have a huge screen which is awesome, but the sound system gives me goose bumps.
  13. SRQGator1

SRQGator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I had my mind made up to get a 46 inch samsung 720p lcd for just over $2200 but saw I could get a 50 inch Samsung 720p for about $2000, I think i might get the plasma
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Aardvark

Aardvark Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,422
    size matters?
  15. SRQGator1

SRQGator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
  16. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
  17. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    Definitely. You're gonna want a TV with at least 2 or more HDMI inputs, the more the better
  18. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
  19. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I need a 32 inch TV for my office. Someone recommended the vizio 32L, available for less than $600---is this a good tv for the money?
  20. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,947
    See the first post in thread. Not to be a dick, but the questionaire is there for a reason people!
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007