The number of people now on foodstamps now outnumbers those living in Northeast

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Why is everyone's first reaction to laugh at others on here?

Anyway, how the heck should I (or you) know? What I am interested in is the proportion of people in SNAP. The raw numbers going up just doesn't mean much to me. I hope that you understand why.

EDIT: By the way, I am not trying to argue that we have a good economy...necessarily. You are rather likely to be correct, if that is your hypothesis. I am just pointing out that there are technically more options than the ones that you offered.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    No, I can't. Cutting food stamps during a good economy is one thing, cutting them during a bad economy is another. The same group who chose to increase them when times were better now wants to cut them when they're actually needed. That's less frugality and more opportunism. And as usual the ones who will suffer from these political games will be the ones with the least power (wealth.) It's the first time in 40 years it has been separated from the Farm Bill. What a coincidence.

And why do you say Shaich is advocating for more? He himself said it wasn't related to SNAP, he's been working on food awareness for a long time. I didn't hear him call for more. In fact I didn't even hear him call for the same. I heard him using the opportunity to highlight the problem of hunger. Panera has established cafes where you pay what you can or volunteer to work for the meal. That started in 2010, long before today's SNAP debate.

Let Shaich explain it himself: http://paneracares.org/our-mission/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    What's even more crazy is that the same people who want to make Food Stamp cuts voted to spend at a level higher than the Democrats wanted on farm subsidies.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Are you surprised that post a serious financial shock & continued economic slump that more people would be on the program?

Isn't it when the society needs the safety net that it should be there for all who need it?

Not the time to cut it?

FYI, the SNAP program has been audited....Result? 1% fraud.

So, lets not attempt to target eliminating the fraud...let's just cut blindly +5% of the funding.

:no:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Time to end farm subsidies as well.
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    And if this were part of the deal, then the cuts to SNAP would be much more credible, philosophically. Maybe I (or anyone else) would agree or disagree with the SNAP cutting at this point, but you'd at least have me on board with considering your proposal as a serious view of managing scarce resources.

I'm not above adopting a new position in light of changing circumstances and information (in fact I reserve the right and consider it bottom level common sense) but the messenger needs to be sincere and the message needs to be grounded in logic and reason with some level of humanity included. The current debate in Congress lacks at least some of those things if not all.