The number of people now on foodstamps now outnumbers those living in Northeast

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Sep 18, 2013.

1. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,551
    We did Greece, now the Northeast. Any other arbitrary geographical populations you want to juxtapose the number of people on food stamps with? How about we compare it to the population of China and feel better about it?
  3. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,551
    In other words, why is the number of people on food stamps relevant to anything other than as compared to the entire population of the United States? (Currently about 316,700,000)
  4. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,171
    It's a good thing no one was on them before Obama...

/sarcasm
  5. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +186
    I guess you miss the last two paragraphs of the article that talks about the ballooning size of the program:

No one is complaining about the existence of a SNAP program. After all, it's been around since 1969. Instead, we're complaining about the massive and seemingly endless ballooning size of the program under Obama.
  6. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    You calling CBS News arbitrary??? Shades of Dan Rather. Don't pick on the OP. He's just the messenger.
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
  8. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,551
    Maybe read that link a little closer. :wink:
  9. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    These old eyes failed me. CBS News might want to take a close look at it as well. But the OP is still just bringing the message not creating facts.
  10. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    People use their food cards for a lot more than food, including beer, smokes & lottery tickets
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538
    It went up 55% from 2003 to 2009. But I suppose that's completely different.
  12. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +595
    You are highlighting a separate issue, but it is my understanding that the cards cannot be used to buy those products. I have seen people get refused some actual food products before, perhaps they were hot foods?
  13. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +186
    Really?

First, including 2009 is really silly -- GWB was President for exactly 20 days in 2009.

So, here's the really stats:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/SNAPsummary.htm

You'll see the huge spike happened in O's first year of his Presidency when it jumped from 28,223,000 to 33,490,000 an increase of nearly 19% in just one year.

In fact, CNS's assessment of Obama's performance is actually low. In GWB's last full year of office, as stated above, there was an average of 28,223,000 people on SNAP. In June 2013, there were 47,760,285. That's actually an amazing 69% increase from GWB's last full year in office.

If you want to do a fair comparison, at least used years where GWB was in charge. From the end of 2002 to 2008, the average SNAP recipients increased by 32% -- still, a completely unacceptable number.

All that being said, so what?

GWB was horrendously irresponsible with our debt. He was the second worst over-spender in American history. Across the board he ruined our fiscal future. He turned a balanced budget under Clinton to a $1 Trillion deficit. He was absolutely horrible.

Does that GWB's irresponsible mismanagement give Obama a pass to act even more irresponsibly?

Aren't you concerned that we have nearly 48 million people in this country on SNAP?
  14. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +186
    Yeah, but they certainly can be used to buy Mountain Dew, lobster and Porterhouse steaks:

[​IMG]
  15. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +186
    And for McDonalds in certain states:

16. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +595
    As much as we all likely don't think that the idea of the SNAP program is to buy lobster and McDonald's, I'm not sure that I'm opposed to it either. Lobster is just stupid to buy, but it is food. I'm guessing due to the price, it isn't a common practice. And McDonald's is on no one's healthy list, but it is cheap. It does seem to break the hot food rule, though.
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,551
    Yeah, I mean I'd probably defend having 0 restrictions on SNAP. If you meet the requirements, you get your benefits. If you want to buy booze, Mickey D's or lobster with it, that's on you. Just don't expect additional help or sympathy. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with the disciplinary aspect of public assistance some people want as a requirement. Isnt that a little "nanny state" too?
  18. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +186
    Sorry, but I think SNAP should be run just like the WIC program. With WIC, rather than stating what foods you can't buy, it only allows you to buy certain "healthy" and cheap foods.

The list only includes: infant formula; infant and adult cereal; baby food; fruits, vegetables and meats; whole wheat bread, brown rice, soft corn and whole wheat tortillas; juice; eggs; milk; cheese; peanut butter; dried beans or peas; fruits and vegetables; soy beverage, tofu; and canned fish.

That's it.

SNAP should be run the exact same way.

Sorry, but I don't want my tax dollars going to buy people Mountain Dew and McDonalds when I'll going to be forced to also pay for their healthcare through Medicare and/or Medicaid.
  19. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +595
    I'd imagine that this is how most people feel. It seems that once you accept our money, we want to be able to choose the way that you spend it. I understand the sentiment, as I don't feel comfortable paying for someone's heroin. But I think that there is some line between heroin and canned fish. At least I hope that there is. I want to feed these people, but I'd like them to keep some dignity as well.

wgb is even going for a zero restriction system, which is not inconsistent with economic theory stating that people should know better than you what is best for them. Indeed there is now a charity that simply cuts poor people a check. It isn't a crazy idea, but most people want to give to charities so that they can choose what the person gets.
  20. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +186
    In theory, wgb's concept of a zero restriction system makes sense.

Here's the problem though; the vast majority (71%) of households receiving SNAP benefits are households with children. If we allow those household unfettered use of their EBT cards, how much of their monthly benefits are going to go to their helpless kids?

And, that's why I want SNAP to work like WIC. That way the 71% of SNAP recipients will be forced to buy something moderately healthy for their kids rather than buying them Mountain Dew and McDonalds.