The Noles & Clemson on Upset Alert ....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ACCecil, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    It was disappointing last year when the highly touted Noles lost at NC State. Although almost none of the experts believed the Gators would win our game at Doak against them. After we whipped their butts in Tally, some of them were saying 'well after all they did lose at NC State.'
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Nice to see ACC fans have a big game yo look forward to.
    It doesnt happen often.
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Well, that's different!! :)

I always seem to think I influence the play calling when I yell at the tv.
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Nice to see ACC fans have a big game yo look forward to.
    It doesnt happen often.
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    I think they are, I have Northwestern winning straight out. I really don't see either ref$hrooms or Clem$on losing this weekend.
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

Dude. That is very impressive !
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    I just don't think Syracuse is going to beat Clemmons, nor do I think Maryland beats fsu in Doak, but I do think that one could be a little high scoring. OTOH, I personally believe Maryland is way, way overrated and might just walk into Doak and lay an egg.

It'd be nice if they somehow pulled the upset though. Today's Democrat was once again praising fsu's near "unstoppable" offense (their own words), but forgot to mention they haven't played anyone except patsies yet.
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    I don't think Pitt is any worse than Vandy, Kentucky or Tennessee, and we didn't roll over them like the Noles rolled over Pitt. While I do not think they are elite, I do think they are strong this year...
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,241
    Pitt's defense is atrocious! Duke ran up 300 yards passing and 55 points on them in a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't know that I'd call Pitt and BC patsies, but certainly they weren't top 25 matchups; I think Pitt may get there by the end of the season (I think almost certainly they are better than Kentucky and Tennessee). Pitt's qb is good and they have some offensive talent. Their defense returned a lot of starters, they just have some issues to workout in their secondary. Duke, by the way, has put up 45, 28, 38, 55, and 38 points in their games. Their QB is a good player and it hit nicely with Pitt's current defensive problem in the secondary. But, the next stretch of games could be interesting for FSU. I think the next few opponents are a combined 15-1. Maryland looks good. Maryland was actually pretty good on defense last year. They just a freaky bad streak of luck at QB in which all four qbs were injured and they ended up starting a converted linebacker for a time. The guy they have now is athletic and a good passer. I think Maryland may deserve a top 25 ranking. However, their schedule thus far is far worse than the Noles. They've played FIU, WVU who was in flux at QB, Uconn, ODU, and FIU . Uconn is 0-4 with losses to towson abd buffalo. FIU is 0-4 and lost to bethune cookman 34-13. ODU is 302 with a loss to east carolina and a 59-58 win against the citadel. other wins were howard and albany (combined record 3-10). Maryland has looked very solid, the most impressive victory being against WVU (WVU turned the bowl over 6 times). In comparison, FSU's patsies are 3-1 (Pitt, victories, New Mexico, Duke and UVA), 3-2 (Nevada, victories against uc davis, hawaii, airforce, losses ucla and fsu), 3-1 (wins against tenn st, virginia union and fiu) and 2-2 (BC, losses against usc and FSU, wins wake and villanova) (combined record 11-6). So, while I agree FSU has played below par teams with the possible exception of Pitt, they are teams that are far better than what Maryland has faced. Maryland has had poor performances at Doak historically. I don't think they have the line talent to hang with the noles for 4 quarters. I think FSU will win easily.
  11. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    dude really? pitt is awful and bc isn't much better. as much as i would love for the terps to win it isn't happening.
  12. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +963
    "we have our share" .. No kidding lol
  13. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't think BC is better than Pitt. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Pitt would blow out BC. Unfortunately, they don't play this year to test that hypothesis.

I think the BC game was closer than the Pitt game because FSU didn't defend misdirection (throw back plays) well and they made some special teams errors.
  14. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    point is they both suck and y'all will kill maryland
  15. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    fsu should beat maryland, clemson should win also. but dont come here telling me that pitt and bc are impressive wins. those teams suck. pitt vs tenn and bc vs kentucky would be good games and i think tenn and UK would win. fsu plays a different style than UF, winston is a good qb but the verdict is out until you play someone who can play D. clemson on the road is where we will find out a little more about them(not alot because clemson's secondary is awful) and then when they come here i would be shocked if winston throws all over purifoy roberson and hargreaves. if he does, kudos of him but my money is that it won't happen
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    I guess you don't know that much about Duke since Cutcliffe arrived in 2008...

Year-----------Total Offense-------------------------W/L Record

2012....................46th.........................................6-7
    2011....................55th.........................................3-9
    2010....................79th.........................................3-9
    2009....................59th.........................................5-7
    2008....................69th.........................................4-8

2007..................102d..........................................1-11
    2006..................117th.........................................0-12
    2005..................105th.........................................1-10
    2004..................116th.........................................2-9
    2003..................117th.........................................4-8
    2002..................105th.........................................2-10

Not all Duke teams are created equal. Cutcliffe's Duke teams are not world beaters, but they aren't quite the joke they were prior to 2009, either.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Pitt's better than BC, Kentucky or Tennessee. Pitt is 3-1 thus far, playing three AQ conference teams, while Kentucky is 1-3, playing two AQ conference teams. Tennessee is even worse than Kentucky right now...
  18. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    fsu's offense is solid. defense is awful. if the offense sputters against a good team i can't see them stopping anyone
  19. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Yes, they do play a different style. And, the reason I stated that Pitt would beat BC is based on matchups. Pitt's defense is experienced. They have a weakness in the secondary. BC is a strong running team (they have the leading rusher in the ACC). They don't have great WRs and the QB is okay. FSU's defense is having trouble with misdirection plays because the entire team is inexperienced in the scheme and because, on top of that, they are playing a lot of freshman, not because they have bad players. In my opinion, the FSU defense is not a bad defense, in the conventional sense, they are inconsistent. This is not the 2009 FSU defense that was getting physically dominated at the line. At times, during the BC game, the FSU defense shutdown BC (most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters). It's like you guys have watched the 1st quarter of each game and watched a little success by the opponent and concluded, that's the fsu defense. Kentucky drove right down the field on UF last week and scored a TD. Does that mean UF's defense is terrible? Pitt doesn't have the same problems as FSU and their problems are not BCs strengths. They would shut down BC in my opinion. And, Savage/WRs for Pitt are very good.
  20. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Paragraphs and line breaks would make your posts easier to read and understand. :)