The new 1%

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jun 28, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    We are getting scammed.

http://news.yahoo.com/nearly-one-five-members-congress-gets-paid-twice-060314402.html

One lawmaker, freshman Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, received $253,323 from her government pension last year—a sum that, combined with her congressional salary, will make her better paid than President Obama this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Beatty

Check out this woman's pedigree...I'm sure she richly deserves this lucrative pension. No wonder Ohio has gone from Pub to Demo. Who was paying attention?
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Obama and his chicago politics wants the government to be the 1% and that's it. No one is to have anything unless everyone has the same exact thing
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,507
    No pensions or retirement for Congress. It's public service. It should be an honor to represent fellow Americans.

I'm fine with the salaries being high, though, you still want to compel ambitious, talented people to the job. In fact, if you ditch pensions and retirement packages, I say increase their salaries.
  4. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    nice try Gatordowneast to try to insinuate that it is only Dems who get such pensions. There are members of both parties who get such pensions of varying amounts.

yet another example of con spin
  5. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    you're correct, every one of these bastards make way too much. Put them on minimum wage and see how fast things will change
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,507
    I, for one, do not want representatives to be put on minimum wage. But if you look at the process, it breeds not statesmen, not servants, but theatrical opportunists. The job itself should pay well - very well - as ostensibly it's very difficult to represent the will of many people.

But term limits and no pensions would go a long way into making it a high honor for talented, ambitious people.
  7. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    my solution is to have term limits of two consecutive terms. Upon completion of second term the person must sit out of national office for 2 years. After the two years the person can run for national office again(and possibly another two terms, etc)

I tend to believe a lot of the problem is that politicians in Congress get too entrenched due to being in office for many terms.

I believe that it is also in the interest of the country to permit politicians to return to office following sitting out a few years because they bring experience and leadership which is needed.

I believe the above can be part of the solution. But certainly other measures would also be needed.
  8. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    I like these two..

Not every member of Congress who is eligible for a pension chooses to collect. Rep. Chris Gibson, R-N.Y., a retired Army colonel who won his seat in 2010, says he writes a check every month for his full military pension, minus taxes owed, to the U.S. Treasury. It was a decision he came to jointly with his wife. “The salary that we get as a congressman is very generous,” Gibson says. “We did not want to double-dip on the taxpayers in a time of fiscal challenge.”

The Gibsons aren’t rich by congressional standards. They hold no stocks, bonds, or mutual funds—only a single bank account with between $100,000 and $250,000. It earned less than $1,000 in interest last year. Still, he declined to judge his better-off colleagues who are collecting twice. “It’s a personal decision people have to make,” he says.

Rep. William Keating of Massachusetts, who pulled $110,743 from his pension in 2012—second-largest of any Democrat—donates all of it, after taxes, to a nonprofit that assists child-abuse victims. “The work done by the caring professionals there is priceless,” Keating, a former legislator and district attorney, said in a statement.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Please point out to me where I insinuated that it is only demos who get such pensions. I just referred to the woman the article pointed out and supplied you with her impressive credentials. Have no doubt there are equally inept Pubs getting this same treatment. They are part of the new 1%. NCbull has pointed this out for many months now.

As to my comments about Ohio, I sincerely doubt many of their residents realize they are getting scammed. Which is why they vote demo. They are uninformed obviously. It is a Pub governor who has gotten their state turned around. Same in Michigan and Indiana. Demos make a mess and pubs clean it up.
  10. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Government Service....hmmm. Me thinks the forefathers would puke how this term is now abused....at our expense.
  11. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    It is part time work and deserves part time pay and no more.
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    Its not really part-time work though. Indeed, if you're not legislating, you're pretty much fundraising year-round.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,507
    Not only is it not a part-time job (the job continues outside of session), but it's (in theory, at least) a difficult one with great responsibility.

In my ideal world, a representative would be paid handsomly during their service and then nothing after.
  14. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    i'd be surprised if many people at all agree with the pensions that govt jobs produce
  15. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Urban Meyer and his new 1% saying.
  16. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    in the very article you posted there is a breakdown that mentions the following

"Congressional pensioners span the ideological spectrum, from tea-party conservatives who rail against government waste to unabashed liberals. They are among the richest members (Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., with a net worth of at least $42.8 million in 2011) and the poorest (Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., who reported between $15,000 and $50,000 in the bank and at least $600,000 in mortgage and loan debts). Overall, Democrats draw government pensions more often than Republicans—by a ratio of 2-to-1. Some lawmakers draw on multiple public retirement packages, including the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, John Cornyn of Texas, who collected $65,000 from three different pensions in 2012."

as to why there is a ratio of about 2:1 of Dem:GOP who receive govt pensions.- Just a hunch that a ratio of 2:1 of GOP:Dems receive pensions,etc from corporations. If you look at the backgrounds prior to national office there is a greater tendency for GOP pols to have been in corporate world with high salaried(and likely pensions, etc). Whereas Dems are more the community organizer route. There are of course members of both parties who served in the military and other areas. BTW--it used to be that GOP had far more people in congress who had served in combat than Dems. That is roughly equal now. Side note-the only person to have served in US Congress who had been Medal of Honor recipient was a Dem.....who was he? Hint--he was a very close friend of Bob Dole (R)
  17. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Do you support the bonuses that IRS employees receive [this is merely a question, not a rebuttal]?
  18. tommike

tommike New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1

Yes both parties are in this and it should be stopped . It doesn't help when someone plays partisan crap with it.
  19. bovinagator

bovinagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Not OldGator, but they are certainly some among the recipients that are deserving. Some probably not.
  20. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    "Overall, Democrats draw government pensions more often than Republicans—by a ratio of 2-to-1" Boy this line was shocking.

Wonder what the ratio is for those drawing food stamps, unemployment comp, housing assistance, Obama phones? it seems the Demos have done a purty good job of getting their voters hooked on government paychecks, government pensions and government handouts.