The national highway trust fun is going broke

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Sohogator, May 6, 2014.

1. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Yop are right.I was forgetting they are based on a specific cents per gallon, not as a %
  2. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,179
    I have no problems with raising the gas taxes. I've advocated that for years. Gas taxes should be used to both raise money for road maintenance and persuade people to use less fuel.

I have no idea why you would "offset" money taken from everybody by taking additional money from wealthy people. When a bank gets robbed, does the bank offset the losses to everybody by going out and robbing their wealthy depositors? When a natural disaster strikes and causes significant injuries to all people in an area, does the hospital go and send goons to wealthy people and beat them up to offset the unfair injuries to the poor?

If you want to help the poor, subsidize public transportation a little more. What's wrong with that?

Another option is to raise the minimum wage by $0.20/hr. What's wrong with that?
  3. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,179
    Mass transit should be encouraged in the areas most likely to use it. We should install high-speed rail from Washington to New York, between the airports, with stops in Baltimore, Philly, and maybe Newark. Acela's medium-speed rail between those cities just is not competitive with air travel (there are about 100 flights per day between those cities). You would pick up 3 million travelers per year from Acela, 3 million from the airlines, and another 5-10 million or more from I-95. Once this system is proven, then the lines can be expanded to Boston, and to Chicago and other cities.

A gas tax would help discourage wasting fuel in other parts of the country, and even push people towards using mass transit.
  4. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,179
    Federal gas tax is $0.18/gal, the average of state gas taxes is about $0.30/gal.
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    It does have limits because soho is in the 1%. So his proposals barely affect those at the bottom end of the 1% because that is his end. A 1%er who thumps their chest but does not want to have any real affect on their lifestyle and situation.

That said I just want the breakdown of where a dollar goes that buys a gallon of gasoline...
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,774
    our entire economy is built and dependent upon the combustible engine- raising taxes to discourage people from driving is a non-starter. While our roads do need to be maintained we waste so damned much money it is crazy- there are plenty of programs and pork spending projects that could be cut to allow better road maintenance
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Why doesn't the government take the tax dollars that they collect now and use those rather than invest in their phony stimulus?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    On a different industry but similar subject...

I was talking to someone yesterday who is married to a biomedical engineer. Her frustration was palpable in what her husbands company has had to do now with the new medical device tax. Between lost jobs and passing the costs onto the consumer....healthcare did not get cheaper.