The Most Similar UF Career to C.Walker's

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Jun 11, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Well at least I think and expect that Maurice Speight had the most similar UF career to what I expect C.Walker's ending up being. They are somewhat similar players.

Both are 6'10" tall, but Speights was bulkier and probably stronger listed by UF at 250 lbs as a Frosh, while C.Walker was listed at 220 lbs. C.Walker on the other hand is probably more athletic than Speights was as a true Frosh. C.Walker was also the much higher profile recruit. Speights left after his Soph year and was the 16th pick in the NBA draft and like most I fully expect C.Walker to leave after his Soph year and be a first round NBA pick.

Speights' first year at UF he was very productive in minimal minutes playing behind Horford, Noah and Richard. His statline [minutes, points, rebounds and block per game] was:

Speights FR: 5.7 MPG, 4.1 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 0.5 BPG shooting 67.1% from the floor and 66.7% from the FT line

C. Walker playing behind Young, Yeguete and Finney-Smith and held back by eligibility issues had a very similar first year:

C.Walker FR: 4.8 MPG, 1.9 PPG, 1.3 RPG, 0.4 BPG shooting 59.3% from the floor and 28.6% from the FT line

The was much excitement about Speights the off season between his FR and Soph year. UF was hot coming off two NCAA tourney titles and 3 top 10 draft picks. Speights' number projected to a 24 min per game production of:

Speights FR projected to 24 min: PPG 17.3, 10.9 RPG, 2.1 BPG

[Ironically I notice that UF in the 2006-7 media guide claims that the prior year at prep school Speights averaged 17.9 PPG and 10.3 RPG.]

C.Walker numbers similarly projected are not quite as good:

C.Walker FR projected to 24 min: PPG 9.5, 6.5 RPG, 2 BPG

That is more of a Patric Young season than a Al Horford or Noah season.

As most expected at the time Speights' numbers were not quite as good as straight line projection from minimal minutes. His Soph stat line was:

Speights Soph: 24.3 MPG, 14.5 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 0.9 BPG

So Speights acutal Soph season was 70% to 75% of projections from his Soph year.

We need C.Walker to exceed his projections. Most expect he will because of getting such a late start last year. It will be interesting to see.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,968
    I think we will have a better balanced team than the one Speights played his sophomore season on, so CW doesn't likely match his stat line, but we will probably be looking at combined 18+ppg, 10+rbg, and 2+bpg from Walker and Horford.
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,934
    Both very talented. Walker seems much more intense, aggressive (though Speights was not shy about shooting, nor should he have been) and mentally "into" the games to me.

I think Walker is going to have a big year offensively next season and exceed most expectations......if he can stay on the floor defensively - where he also has a lot of talent (natural shot-block timing, great leaping ability, and quick on his feet), but needs to learn where to be and how to anticipate where he needs to be next. I'm optimistic and think he's going to excel.
  4. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Speights was pretty good both as a frosh and a soph.

Walker, due to his very late start, was very limited as a frosh, and, according to coach Donovan, he will be somewhat limited as a sophomore, because he is still trying to keep things simple for him due to his lack of background experience in high school.

Walker will be quite a bit lighter than Speights, but far more athletic (note - Speights was very athletic as a Gator Center).

If Walker doesn't exceed his expected, I will be surprised.
  5. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    Huh? The only context I read Donovan talking about keeping things "simple" was to get Chris to focus on doing a few things extremely well, because he has so much ability that he is trying to do too many different things out there.
  6. JaxLizard

JaxLizard Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I would compare Chris Walker to Donnell Harvey. Speights, though much more offensively gifted, seemed to be out of shape his whole uf career. Hopefully Walker will stay in college a few more years and develop more as a player and not follow the path of Donnell Harvey.
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    I agree....Speights seems to be a better pro than college player.
    His entire time in Gainesville he appeared playing NOT to get hurt..
    Donnell Harvey had some scary raw talent like Chris Walker seems to have.
  8. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    Vernon Delancy
  9. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I had no idea Speights was a pro-prospect during his sophomore year, so it was kind of shocking to me when he left. I mean he was clearly talented, a 6'10" guy that could shoot, that is a pro prospect. But I never realized he was on the radar to go early.

It felt like he underachieved a bit as a sophomore as well. Like he was just "coasting", and of course that team ended up being rather mediocre. So it was all sort of disappointing, and then Calathes left the next year which was also a shocker. I think the difference here is we KNOW that the plan is for C. Walker going pro. But certainly we hope he explodes in the process and becomes a dominant player. Walker seems like he can be an elite shot blocker and above the rim player which Speights never was, so he's a different type of player. Speights was content to float on the perimeter too much and not use his size enough. Hopefully Walker plays with a certain aggressiveness and impacts the overall game more.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Well, I when I wrote this I had to run teach a class so I skimped on the analysis at the end. So a few more points:

1. I said C.Walker's career would be most similar to Speight, both likely 2 and done bigs. I did not suggest their games were most similar.

2. I too think C.Walker will exceed his numbers next year. Remember he only had SEC and NCAA games in his stats last year. So this year his average competition will be lower. Also to get to 10 points a game all he needs is to get a couple of alley-oop passes from Hill, a couple of put back baskets and a fast break basket and he will have 10 points. So I think C.Walker scores 10 to 12 points per game this year. The interesting thing will be where on the 6 to 10 rebounds per game he gets. The closer he gets to 10 rebounds per game, the high up the draft board he goes.
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,934
    Coming off the bench last season, Walker was also getting some post-up opportunities, and he wasn't bashful about taking them (which I like). And, even though he looked awkward putting the shots up, they kept going in*! I think I saw enough shots go in that I believe he has pretty good touch in the paint.

As I've said before, I won't be surprised if CW is the Donovan era's most prolific scorer next season if he doesn't have other issues (not learning where he needs to be on defense or not learning the offense well enough or whatever...) that will limit his minutes. If he's playing 20+ minutes per game, I think he's going to be scoring very well :)

* - "they kept going in" after his first couple of games in which threw up a couple of missiles which almost broke the backboard :cool:
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I was going to say that so far it is somewhere between Kwame Brown and M Speights, but I think that I have been beaten to the punch.

And Chris has lots more upside than either, so perhaps after the next season is over we may be talking about who will be the next Chris W on the Gator squad instead.
  13. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    His name is John Egbunu and he's already a Gator.
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    From a height and first year perspective, considering who they both sat behind as freshmen, it is definitely Speights. However, I see Walker to be much more effective defensively, while Speights was offense first.

We will never know what Harvey could have become in his second year. In one season, he was probably the best offensive rebounder I have seen in Gator history. Offensively, he had no game
  15. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT JOHN EGBUNU.

Sorry, caps were necessary to convey tone. Really love what I've seen of his game so far, and his attitude. He's gonna be a good one!