The left are still livid about the Zimmerman case!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Jul 24, 2013.

1. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +424 / 0 / -0
    As was explained innumerable times, one does not have to sustain life threatening injuries to be convinced that severe injury is imminent. Allowing that to happen is not part of any self defense law of which I am aware.

If this were relevant, then the MMA fighting techniques that TM learned were also relevant.

I was under the impression that the weight difference at the time of the fight was less than that? There was certainly a distinctive height advantage. Which is huge when a taller person is on a top of a shorter one

I agree

This is a hypothetical problem that does not seem to often happen?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    Understand that, and I agree with the verdict based on the evidence as we understand it.

But just because you are legally okay to kill somebody doesn't mean you need to do it.

Maybe it is unfair of me, but I expect more conscientious, responsible behavior from a lethally armed adult who intentionally puts himself as neighborhood watch captain. For one, he should never have gotten into the altercation to begin with. And I'd hope somebody ready to put himself into confrontational situations like that has some ability to defend himself before resorting to lethal force.

Agree to that. And if he was indeed getting into fights, then that would be relevant as well. Of course, GZ was actually getting formal MMA training, himself.

As I recall GZ was weighed at 203 and TM at 156 at time of the incident.

TM had a two inch height advantage. Not sure that is real meaningful. TM probably had a reach advantage.

I would hope it doesn't happen much.
  3. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304 / 14 / -3

With that sort of weight and natural age strength advantage, I think that would push the favor towards TM being the aggressor if he was on top of GZ (as the forensics evidence confirms)

If GZ was the aggressor in the fight, then with that sort of weight advantage, and the whole fight taking no more than 45 seconds or so, I doubt that TM would've been able to get back control of the situation, get on top, and get through a few ground and pounds before the shot
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    Fair point and TM probably was the aggressor from what we know.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if GZ asked him WTH he was doing there, and TM responded with "eff you" or similar and started throwing punches. Especially if GZ showed any kind of fear in his eyes or in his body language during their verbal exchange.

I do think it is well within the realm of possibility that GZ saw a very skinny kid and tried to grab TM to detain him until the police arrived, and got more than he bargained for in response.

But I recognize there is no reliable evidence one way or another as to how the altercation started. Other than GZ's story with its own bias, and Jeantel's story which didn't appear completely credible, it's all speculation.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +424 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree with this.
  6. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +424 / 0 / -0

This speculation is as plausable as any I have read.

As I mentioned in other thread, I was once part of a Neighborhood watch program. Similar to Zimmeran's situation, we had a teenage gang problem too. Had I come across a teenager I did not recognize, I would have confronted him. This was in the day before small cell-phones and the like, so calling the police on the spot was not an option. I would have had to go home and to get to a phone.

That said, even though I had a CCP, I never went on patrol armed. I mainly rode around on my bicycle, getting exercise and keeping an eye out on suspicious activity. Happily, I only once ran across one problem, seeing two people in a beat up car cruising around. I got the tag # and called it in. They took off when they saw me copying the tag #.
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    We have issues with car break ins in our neighborhood, and in the larger area, there have been home break ins as well as a couple of home invasions where occupants got beat up in addition to being robbed.

I'm not formally part of any neighborhood watch, but if I see somebody I don't know and it looks at all suspicious I do ask them what's up. People I've actually talked to have all ended up being either relatives visiting, or utility workers checking lines or doing surveys. I've had a couple of instances where I took plates down for cars cruising by slow where I thought the occupants might be casing houses, and the guys took off like the instance you described.

I've only caught one instance of anybody stealing but unfortunately I was too late to get plates... some azzhole and his gf or wife were grabbing mail out of people's mailboxes. As soon as I saw them, they drove off like a rocket and AFAIK never came back to our neighborhood. Reported them to the police but never heard anything back.