The Incredibly Ridiculously Early Star Wars Episode VII Thread

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Spurffelbow833, May 17, 2014.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    Is there or has there ever been a real canon for these stories, at least as a backdrop?

Since the veteran characters aren't going to be the focus of the story anyway, I really hope the old married couple angle is played up well in Star Wars VII. It'll be the best source of comedy for the movie. Han and Leia should be constantly bickering about snoring, weight, sagging boobs, erectile dysfunction, leaving the seat up, and whether it's been 34 or 35 years since they vanquished Jabba the Hut, with Han failing to remember needing to be rescued and trying to steal the credit from Leia for killing Jabba. Ultimately, Leia wins the argument by using mind tricks because where she's concerned, Han is most decidedly weak-minded. Just my silly thoughts.

What are your thoughts about the sequel trilogy?
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Well, I had briefly read some Star Wars stuff online years ago, so it's foggy, but there's a lot going on afterwards including a possibly resurrected Darth Vader out of some kind of DNA thing, possibly Good Luke/Evil Luke/Good Luke...etc. It'll be interesting to see where exactly they pick up from in the timeline of things.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    Only thing I've heard about veteran characters is that of those who didn't die in previous episodes, Leia is the one who will not appear in the sequels. Might have been her choice. Carrie hasn't acted in years and seems to be very focused on her literary career.

I couldn't begin to guess where it's going to go. Screenwriter Michael Arndt is not a formulaic writer. The two films of his that I've seen have featured wildly unpredictable plot turns and powerful dramatic tension. I fully expect Abrams to be in top form with the action and effects, but this could turn out to be Arndt's movie with excellent character development, high emotional stakes and a great story arc.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    Forget that. I just read the imdb page. Arndt is out and Lawrence Kasdan is back and co-writing with Abrams. Lucas is actually getting a screenwriting credit for "characters." Carrie Fisher is in the credits as Leia Solo.

I'm guessing that Arndt and Abrams didn't see eye to eye on early drafts. I'm disappointed. Kasdan is way off his game. He hasn't had a hit in over 20 years and only one writing credit in the last ten.
  6. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    Glad to see mostly unknowns in the cast beyond the returning characters. Looks like the lead is going to be Domhnall Gleason who played Bill Weasley in The Deathly Hallows. It's very cool to see Max Von Sydow in the cast. He could be another old Jedi master, or a great new villain. I'm guessing they don't reprise his character in further episodes. He's 85. Shooting on location at that age is not good for your health. This is his 150th feature film.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    I wouldn't say it's ridiculously early to start talking about it since they just started principle photography yesterday in the UAE. They've built a whole new Tatooine there.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    The Thrawn Trilogy picks up five years after Jedi. Even though written a three years after, The Truce At Bakura(Kathy Tyers) picks up right after the destruction of the Death Star. I actually read Truce before entering the Zahn storyline .
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Cool. I have only read the Thrawn trilogy and the other two Zahn books. My buddy has read a ton of the Star Wars books and now I am pissed at him for never mentioning this one to me. I am gonna add it to my to read list.
  10. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I don't think it is thought of as much because there's no direct follow up.
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I've probably read 50+ books from the star wars universe. As you can imagine the quality varies greatly. The Thawn trilogy is great and just reread it two months ago. Lucas has been pretty lose with how he lets the writers develop the universe so I expect the movie writers will have a similar freedom.
  12. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Very true. And for real entertainment hit up a Star Wars blog or chat room and watch them eat each other about which universe is truer. Only coming together when a Trekker comes over with the USS Enterprise vs. Imperial Star Destroyer bit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603

Did you ever see Fan Boys? The Trekkies vs. Star Wars fans bits were hilarious, especially when Shatner showed up to help the Star Trek guys at the Trekkie convention. The coolest thing was the van these guys were traveling to California in had a horn that sounded like a Wookie roar.

FWIW, my 20 year-old daughter can roar like a Wookie. When she was six, she could belch the entire alphabet. Still does it from time to time. She's such a lady!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    Apparently that was the reason Arndt's screenplay was ditched. He did create a story that focused on new characters and JJ decided he wanted the story to focus on the original characters. He's been a huge fan of the series since he was a kid and a bit of a purest. That's probably why he brought Kasdan back, who wrote episodes V and VI, the single best and single worst in the franchise. (Purests now refer to Return of the Jedi as Care Bears Save the Galaxy.)

I have more faith in Abrams than Kasdan. He started out as a screenwriter, selling his first script while he was still a senior at Sarah Lawrence. He did nothing but screenwriting in his early career, known then as "Jeffrey Abrams" but has 20 writing credits to date. That's a hell of a lot and it includes a lot of groundbreaking television. My only concern is him keeping the franchise on a steady track. Some of his TV series have been a little wobbly.

By the time Episode VIII comes along, maybe they'll bring back Arndt. The original characters might be aging out by then. Arndt and Charlie Kaufmann are probably the two best screenwriters of our time. Obviously Kaufmann would be the wrong guy for the job unless you wanted to see a spinoff, maybe Being R2D2.
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Not sure I agree that Arndt would have been successful with this screenplay and frankly, I'm glad they went in another direction. Arndt is a fantastic writer no doubt, but he has yet to write an quality action film. Star Wars is no Little MIss Sunshine or Toy Story 3 (though those are fantastic). His first introduction into the action genre was Oblivion which was an average film.
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    Toy Story 3 was totally an action movie and Arndt was Kathleen Kennedy's choice. Kasdan hasn't written an action screenplay since Episode V, which was an abomination. He become a fine director, shooting a couple of great films that he wrote himself, but both were as far away from action films as you can get.

Writing for action is not so much about action as about being episodic, having twists and turns that characters have to react to. The fact that they are in a galaxy a long time ago and far, far away has nothing to do with it. IMHO, Toy Story 3 is a great template for a successful Star Wars sequel. Both that and Little Miss Sunshine were templates for character development with a large cast.

Surprised Abrams didn't bring in some of his east coast posse. He's collaborated heavily with a handful of guys who were in film school at Wesleyan while he was at SLC.
  17. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Agree to disagree. Arndt's only real action movie is Oblivion (which you didn't mention) and that fell flat. There is just as good a chance that his writing would be at the level of Oblivion as it would be that it was at Toy Story 3 level.

Star Wars fans crack me up. Episodes I-III are terrible and Episode VI is an abomination. So you literally only enjoy a 1/3rd of the movies. Why bother?
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I enjoy the movies made 35 years ago. I don't recall any others being made.
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    The Ewoks don't bother me as much as a lot of people, but Lucas really should have used the Wookies instead.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    I have no issues with any of the original trilogy. Of course I think I was the target audience for Episode VI when it came out since I was like 4 years old.

Yes the prequels were weak but there is a lot more to Star Wars than just the films. I have been catching up on the Clone Wars Animated Series which is really good. With the books, shows, video games and movies there have been as many hits as misses if you ask me.

So, given that I have enjoyed most of JJs films I am hopeful for these.
    • Agree Agree x 1