Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The importance of shade trees to health

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Aug 25, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I knew you were knowledgeable when you referenced dbh. So I accept that. I wish I knew more because Tampa’s Dept. Natural Resources study supposedly checked all histories and modeling. But a Cat 5 may just be too much for anything

2. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Different strokes. I look forward to my retirement. My next home will either be in a community with few trees, lots of fees and someone else responsible for yard maintenance. Alternatively, if the states could work together and solve the water crisis in the southwest, I move back to Arizona in a heart beat with full desert landscape in the front and back.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Listened to the 99PI episode ironically while doing yard work. Very informative. I subscribe but need to make a point of listing more often. That's such a great podcast. Thanks for recommending the episode.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good news for Tampa, though far more is needed

Local officials have secured money to help remedy Tampa’s shrinking tree canopy.

U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Tampa, announced Thursday the city had been awarded a $1 million federal grant through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Urban and Community Forestry initiative.

“We’ve seen a lot of beautiful live oaks and large trees come down,” Castor said in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times. “So that’s why the timing of this grant is so important.”

A 2021 study found Tampa’s tree canopy coverage to be at its lowest in 26 years. The city’s average annual temperature has increased by 2.5 degrees since 1891, when record-keeping began, according to the city’s Climate Action and Equity Plan.

Tampa’s trees remove 1,000 tons of air pollutants every year, according to the city report. Castor said the federal grant is focused on reducing toxic air and carbon pollution across the country.

Tampa gets $1M federal grant to plant trees to reduce heat
    Tampa gets $1M federal grant to plant trees to reduce heat - Tampa Bay Times

• Like Like x 3
  5. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I like trees, and shade is going to be more important if it keeps getting hotter. I just hope people and governments identify some planning and maintenance to reduce the risk of trees or branches taking out roofs, power lines, etc. Part of this is routine trimming, and I suspect addressing dead or dying trees can also help with that.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure what the issue is. I can only speak about locally, but the City of Tampa already maintains and trims in the rights-of-way. TECO trims trees that threaten power lines. In fact, they overdo it. Here is a piece from a recent controversy in our neighborhood about TECO's butchery

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...-neighborhoods-say-teco-butchered-their-trees

In terms of personal maintenance, that is a responsibility just like many other aspects of home ownership. We are replacing our roof today. All part of the burden. There is costs to keep your trees responsibly trimmed by a conscientious service, but that is part of life.

The problem is when people use the "fear" of trees to take down trees that are healthy but limit what they want to do with the lot. They can now by state law, but I had/have a problem with that. Also people who skimp and use trimmers that are cheaper but butcher and damage healthy trees. And there are people that just don't like trees, leaves, etc. But there is a societal benefit. I have limited sympathy short of some situations with older people in fixed income, etc. But disagree as a general proposition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I can't disagree with any of that; I guess I've just had hurricanes on my anxious mind since Sally.

Just last week, I handed over half the payment for my new roof, which should be going on in the next week. My neighbor (without any complaint from me to be clear) recently removed an enormous tree in his back yard whose limbs crushed our fence. Not the end of the world, but I've been stressing with all this stuff for three years given the added complications resulting from my prior mortgage company failing to pay my insurance premium despite having my escrowed funds. Thankfully, my power lines are underground, though this is the first house I've lived in with underground powerlines. I probably need to have some trimming done at my house, too, once I get these issues resolved. But tree companies are not cheap!

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry. I understand where you are coming from. Those are some terrible complications.

And good tree companies are expensive. That is a fact

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Another study. Same results

The humble tree has long protected humans from sickness and even death—and in the modern city, it’s still doing so. As global temperatures rise, so too does the “urban heat island effect”—the tendency for cities to absorb and hold on to the sun’s energy, which is a growing public-health crisis worldwide. On a small scale, the shade under a single tree is an invaluable refuge on a blisteringly hot day. Scaling that effect up, neighborhoods with more tree cover are measurably cooler.

Now research is showing just what an impact this can have on people’s health. A new paper finds that in Los Angeles, planting more trees and deploying more reflective surfaces—something as simple as painting roofs white—could lower temperatures so dramatically, it’d cut the number of heat-related ER visits by up to 66 percent. That research follows a previous study by the same scientists finding that one in four lives lost during heat waves could be avoided with the same techniques.

City Trees Save Lives

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

There are white elastomeric roof coverings that can be applied with a roller over flat roofs. The difference in heat absorbed vs black is amazing. Lowers attic temps significantly.

I’ve become a tree lover and hugger. With that said I looked at 2 homes in the subdivision I moved to last year and chose the one without the old live oaks with large limbs hanging over the other house. An Arborist will tell you that an oak can look perfectly healthy and have issues that affect their stability and strength. Plant, plant, and plant more trees. But not close enough to homes where they can become an issue during a hurricane.

I’ve heard some insurance companies are now asking about trees in yards? Not sure if true.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks about the roof - we don't have a flat roof or would.

I would be a bit cautious on what arborists tell you about oaks because of the financial incentives, especially under the new preemptive state scheme. There are unhealthy oaks that cause damage.

That said, when I used to test the issue with arborists under oath (before the state preempted, there were actual hearings under Chapter 13 of the Tampa City Code), they would not contradict the City that a healthy oak will sway by natural design in a storm but will not topple. Limbs removed by the ANZI-300 standard (I may be forgetting the precise cite) are OK in protecting the house - a healthy tree can have damaged limbs that are vulnerable. One problem is when limbs are removed without balance, such that one side is trimmed excessively. That actually makes it more likely the tree will topple, onto the bare side (house).

In reality, healthy trees absorb and protect the home in a windstorm.

12. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    When people talk about oak trees it does not mean much unless you know what type of Oak tree. There is a big difference in a live Oak a water oak or a red oak. Of course there are many more types but those are common in central Florida. As far as trees doing damage to homes that is a major issue to homes in the middle of the state. The wind does not get strong enough to blow the roofs off or even damage newer roofs but trees and limbs falling do most of the damage. This has caused the insurance companies to make people remove limbs that are overhanging homes. I lost a huge live oak that was beside my house in the 2004 storms because the ground got so wet that the entire tree leaned over pulling the large roots from the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am talking about a healthy live oak. And what the experts have testified says they protect during windstorm. But good point on the distinction.

14. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I agree they can help protect from wind and they for sure will keep your home cooler and save electricity. I want trees around my home. I don't want water oaks close to my home though. I see them in peoples yards around Ocala and know most of the people have np idea that the tree is hollow inside and could break off with the next thunderstorm.

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree totally about water oaks and even truly diseased live oaks. I say truly because it was a weird thing in Tampa over a decade ago. Tree disease seemed to stop at Kennedy avenue, because the land was more valuable in South Tampa and trees were inconvenient if your minimum house size was 4200 sq ft. Now the Heights is catching up in land value and our canopy is coming down too, though they don't need to fake it as much with the new state preemption.

But truly diseased oaks, even live oaks, are a problem

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Love a great tree canopy.

Have a friend that moved back to Tucson from FtL. He loves it but his yard is multicolored stones and cactus. :eek:

Not a big fan of what I call builders oaks tho that are typically planted in the swales and ultimately uproot sidewalks. Also, if trees aren't properly trimmed they are definitely hazards in a storm. Seen the results many times.
    When we lived in SFla the HOA trimmed the swale tres as part of their fees which made for a great and safer tree canopy.. Where we now live in Tampa area it's on the homeowners which means most do nothing and it looks like crap. Also public utilities are infamous for hat racking and butchering healthy tress that are perceived to be in their way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree 100%

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    New developments I am working on require canopy trees at 40' on center max no further than 10' from back of curb. Root barrier is required to protect the sidewalks if within 10' of tree.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    DR Horton and the like have mowed down our area in East volusia. Haven't seen any neighborhoods in the last 20 years or so with any effort to require some sort of tree conservation. We live in a 30 year old development and it's staggering to see the difference in how neighborhoods were built. Thankful we are one of the last developments to actually have a canopy of trees at every turn.

Screenshot_20240510_064837_Gallery.jpg

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1