The importance of making sure people understand what you are saying

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by g8orbill, Jan 22, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,648
    Back before Christmas my wife and I decided to expand our pool and patio deck area-we do some entertaining and her large smoker and her large gas grill were always nearby when we had a large group of people-we decided to add a 14X16 area and put it under roof and screen it in so we could move the grills further from where people sat- I met with several companies and took bids-the last thing I then added was to take off the existing aluminum non-insulated porch roof and replace it with an insulated roof and additional screen area- after all was said and done and we had decided on both the contractor for not only adding the new patio area but redoing our existing pool area deck-and also the aluminum company to do the roof and additional screen area

last Friday the aluminum company called to say they were going to come out and take down the side panel and the existing roof in preparation for installing the new roof(12X42) and screen- I told them to come ahead but that I would not be at home as I had to attend my grandsons choral concert. Well when I finally returned home the aluminum company's truck was stacked high with screen panels- they had come out and taken down the entire pool enclosure except for the roof and side screen panel with the door in it, and they said they were about to take it down(only one of them spoke fluent English) but when I said to them are they sure they were supposed to take down everything they said yes-

I called the owner of the aluminum company and told him what had happened-he was beside himself and turned to his wife who he said speaks Spanish and asked her what she told them-the crux of the matter is she got confused in her Spanish (I guess Rosetta Stone is not always a good thing) and they did indeed do what she said and now I am getting an entirely new enclosure for the price of our agreed contract
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,023
    Lucky you!!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    A similar thing happened to me. I wanted an insulated roof put over part of my pool patio area adjacent to the house. Maybe 24 feet. We agreed on a contract. When the installers came, I was at work. The installers were preparing to put a roof over my entire pool patio (at least double the size). When my wife told them that wasn't the plan, they basically said, "We know what we're doing. You go back inside the house". My wife turned with a wry smile because she knew I would never pay the extra.

A couple of days after it was installed, the company calls and wants me to pay the extra because it was only fair. I said "Too Bad". Then he said they would come and take it back down. I said "Nope. You guys would leave a butcher job. It stays". He then said he would come take it down when I was not at home. I said, "Not if you value your contractors license". Last call I got from them.

They got even somewhat because the roof has always leaked where it adjoins the house.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,648
    I actually offered to pay his costs on the new enclosure but he said no way-it was their mistake and they were responsible for making it right-his company came highly recommended and I can see why, and I will definitely pass along to anyone needing an aluminum enclosure in Central Florida how he stands behind his business and try to repay him by bringing him new customers
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  5. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +199
    Well, tell us the name of the company.
  6. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,648
    no can do egator
  7. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Condominium dweller here so just curious: What's the advantage of an "insulated" roof over the patio like you guys are talking about?
  8. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    My "insulated roof" is filled with styrofoam and very strong. I can walk on it. Damn leaves.
  9. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,057
    That's a good mistake lol