The Impact of Computerization on the Labor Market

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mdgator05, Jan 21, 2014.

1. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    However, whatever portion of those 50 workers that don't get back to work aren't putting gas in their cars, buying as many groceries, frequenting dry cleaners, etc., etc., etc.

People who are unable to find gainful work also create a negative ripple effect on the economy.
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    10 hours/week isn't enough. I want to work 24/7.

24 hours a week / 7 months a year. :)
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    This is part of automation. However, especially moving forward, it isn't just taking skilled labor and turning it into unskilled labor. As robotics become more advanced, it is going to start replacing that unskilled labor as well. The process of turning skilled into unskilled labor was the dominant part of automation through the 2000s, which resulted in high levels of employment with declining wages. Now, we are moving into an economy in which that low skilled labor gets replaced all together, pushing unemployment higher.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    And it should be a concern for all of us. Not that we should/could stop automation but how we are going to cope with a country where the job market continuously shrinks. Some may say this is already happening for other reasons but that does not lessen the impact of what we are discussing here.
  5. gator10010

gator10010 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    An experienced A/C service tech will make anywhere from $15 -$30 an hour depending on the area and company. In the summer months an A/C tech will get at least 60 hours a week in work in Florida. A young person can gain this valuable experience and then start his own contracting company with very little start up capital and make a lot of money.

I guess it all depends on what the definition of a good living is.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    So, you don't allow for something like the "Second Industrial Revolution" in which advances in automation & technology allow for new markets (and jobs) and opportunites for production?
  7. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,245
    Keeping a roof over your family's head and putting food on the table. Having a house three times the size you need and having three cars in the driveway is not in my description of a good living.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    The illegal immigrants thing is a bit of a red herring. They are simply people who will work for less than the prevailing market rate or statutory cost of labor. If you are against things like minimum wage, collective bargaining, labor unions or other things that strengthen labor's ability to negotiate wages and control the wage floor, then it seems a little weird to blame undocumented workers for bringing down wages.
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    I think automation and technology will make for new jobs. But I don't think those jobs will not be well suited for medium and low skilled labor for the most part. High skilled labor will maintain value, but I don't know how we are going to use lower skilled labor. That is what we are already seeing in the labor markets today, as lower skilled labor drops out of the labor market altogether. So even as economic growth continues at a decent pace (and corporate profits explode), lower skilled labor is not in demand.
  10. adamgator96

adamgator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    The gas company meter reader has come by my house once a month every month for years until this month. They installed an "advanced" meter last month, so our usage is now transmitted once a day in just a fraction of a second.

It seems the lucky meter readers got in on the ground floor of installing the new advanced meters and secured a job for the next few years during this transition. Most of the readers will be looking for work and the same goes for the power companies' readers, too.
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I think what you are describing is what Gramschi called the "morbid symptoms" of a dying order that cannot yet give birth to the new order. To get less esoteric, won't low(er) skilled labor always have value to capital because it costs lests than more skilled labor? I just have a hard time accepting that robots mean the end of Taylorism when we are still in a capitalist mode of production.
  12. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    I have been telling my kids for years that this will be a country of the haves and have nots - so educate yourself well.

Will be?

True. But I think it gets even worse.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    Learn more about computers, and computer applications in the modern world. Those jobs are here, and will, be here in the future.
  14. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    You only hope that. Whether it will materialize is a different matter. I have a computer IT degree but that doesn't guarantee a job. First of all there has to be enough jobs available. It's not quite as cut and dried as you seem to want to think it is.
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    So that's why you're so cocky... Lol.. just kidding, my brother had the same 'affliction' (profession) years ago.
  16. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I tend to think it'll be a lot like the green jobs that were promised in 2008/9: the actual job gains turn out to be far less than the expected.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't a criticism of Obama by any means. One of the things I supported in his first election was his green energy initiatives--and had shared his belief that it would lead to more green-energy jobs in this country as we expand our energy base by capturing renewables. Sadly, in the end, nonrenewables (wind turbines and solar) are also fairly automated--and the expected job gains never materialized.

I don't disagree that the there will be new markets and opportunities for production--but it seems like most of those will be highly automated anyway. Machines don't complain about salary, future pensions, and don't have rising healthcare plans either.
  17. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    Even the Judicia
    Robots already do that.....
  18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    I thought about software being automated but we are talking about AI then since software usually requires teams of people from end users to product managers to business analysts. Robots can't do all that at this time and probably won't in my lifetime but still eventually everything can be automated and run by robots.
  19. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Agree, gman. I've been driving the same car for 11 years now, my wife has had hers since 1998.
  20. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    I said automation is the future and those that think it won't create more jobs are wrong and shortsighted. Yes, some jobs will be lost forever, but many more new ones will replace those old jobs. Just like Blacksmiths and farrier were replaced by factory workers/auto workers and machanics... new jobs will emerge.