The hard truth about Dan Mullen recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gator715, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    I personally enjoyed this class tremendously. I still believe that we have a need at linebacker that will need to continue to be addressed. We'll also be a bit light at corner next season. But we will know all we need to know about Mullen on the next signing days in 2019.

No excuses, Mullen's 2019 (EDIT) signing day will tell us all we need to know about Mullen's recruiting and just what exactly his ceiling will be. We already know he has a high floor. In about one year's time, we'll know if Mullen will have us competing for SEC and national titles on a yearly basis, or if we'll be a good but not great program.

I'm happy with Mullen at Florida, period, and not much can change that. But for those with the expectations to compete for national and SEC titles every year, look no further than the 2019 signing days. They will tell you all you need to know.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. hhpgator

hhpgator All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +204
    This has already occurred. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +478
    Do you mean ILB, OLB or both?
  4. g8rl8

g8rl8 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,513
    I tend to agree. A popular Gator podcast said that each of our last few coaches have been able to improve their recruiting results from year one to year two by about 7 places, on average. That would mean we can expect to end up around 6th next year using that logic. If that's the case, and Mullen pulls the #6 class in his first full cycle, I'll be happy. As a top tier program in our region, and with a coach with the confidence of Mullen, I think that's what we should expect. Barring something crazy, a class outside the top 10 next year would be a letdown.

I'm still trying to pull myself out of the brain cramp that was the McElwain era. Raising my expectations. Big difference is that I'm actually confident Mullen will come through.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    I haven't done a head count by ILB or OLB... A lot of it depends on where you project certain guys like Chatfield and Clayton... I'm guessing they'll both be OLB as opposed to DEs in a 3-4... but we just have a big need for linebackers, tacklers, and pass rushers. So I'd really say both ILBs and OLBs. Simply not enough guys on the roster have proven themselves.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    I'd look for quality over quantity again... We just need to make sure we get to 85, but depending on who stays and who leaves, I think that Mullen may not have an issue getting there. I think if Mullen signs 22 to 23 guys next cycle, again depending on who leaves, but they are all good players, not "his guys" or "diamonds in the rough..." then we'll like what we will be seeing. We're also going to have a big need for linemen again (on both sides of the ball) next cycle as well as tight ends and getting quality there won't be optional. We're also going to have to sign 2-3 high quality corners and linebackers next cycle.

So, yeah, I'd aim for 22-23 really good players signed next cycle, with some elite players sprinkled in... We're really penalized for refusing to oversign, but if the quality of the guys we sign is high enough, it may have comparable effect of a top 5 class.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,508
    Mullen put together an impressive transition class: better than any of our recent hires AND with the wrinkle of having an early signing period to boot. That's good work from him...and, admittedly, something I was pleasantly surprised to see.

But 2019 is the more pivotal class. Meyer's second recruiting class brought us Tebow, Harvin, and Spikes (among others). Muschamp and McElwain both managed to bring in at least 1 5* (chump with 1; McElwain with 2).

Looking back, McElwain actually had a decent 2nd recruiting class: Ivey, CeCe Jefferson, Callaway, Scarlett, and Zuniga. 4 of those guys will be pivotal for Mullen this year.

Mullen will need to top that if we want a rapid rebuild here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,583
    That was actually Mac's 1st class, and Mullen is going to top that class next year no problem (it was only ranked like 20th).
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,267
    I don't care where we end up in the rankings. As long as we sign 10 five stars.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,568
    I love the fact that Mullen basically cleared the board when he arrived and went after his guys. Yes, we saw alot of decommitments but I firmly believe that was part of Dan's plan.

Almost every 2019 commit has decommited as well for better or for worse. Dan is starting from scratch and with one year in the books already I believe he's in an excellent position to make his mark in the State.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    I'd bet a whole lot of money we ain't getting anyone of Harvin's caliber in next year's class. Or probably any class in the foreseeable future, if ever. Might not be another Tebow either when you consider the non-football traits also. We could get another Spikes though. :)
  12. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    I'd settle for a non-rapid rebuild at this point. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +478
    I think we have plenty of pass rushers - but I do understand that a lot aren't
    Proven. I worry more about ILB and 34 DE. I think we will be pleasantly surprised that we simply underperformed the last few seasons.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I read the OP twice and couldn't figure out what the hard truth was.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    First of all, we'll see a much tougher team this coming season. Secondly, I think they'll be much better coached. Third, I don't see Mullen spending his media time with a "well shucks, I like peanut butter, that's kinda cool, look on his face." Teams, armies, etc. actions are a reflection of the guy at the top. Pell was intense and coached tight. The team often played, tight. Galen was more laid back and the teams during the 84-85 seasons were looser. SOS was confident and so were his teams. Zook was a bumbler and so were his teams. Meyer was intense but not to the point of Pell. He could separate the emotions against our opponents. Apply this to the last two morons and we shouldn't have been this surprised. Mullen knows what's expected from this program and knows what it takes to get there. Personally, I think he'll get us there.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
  16. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    Mac was laid back. :rolleyes: Way back. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,052
    Hard truth = Strong opinion. Most people believe that their strong opinions are Truth.
    Yes we need a strong 19 class, but there are many intervening variables that will determine Mullen and UF's football future. I pass no judgement on OP strong opinion and would bet many here agree.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,799
    and your point is....?

Just kidding :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,052
    Just responding to Jayhova who asked what Hard truth means. Took restraint not to say "soft opinion" but that would have been a joke too and I didn't want to make anyone mad!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,235
    Now, you may recall that when Mac started in 2015, he said he would be working uphill in recruiting due to not having established relationships with players when they were in the 9th or 10th grade, and that things would start being even in 2018 and 2019. Well, if you recall, he had a very highly rated set of commits for 2018, and 2019 was #1 before he left with a lot of Top Commits, despite not having any 5* (Corral Magically having dropped to 4* when he committed to the Gators). His 247 rankings were: 2015 - 21, 2016 - 12, 2017 - 11.

Expecting him to magically what Urban Meyer did in one year may occur, or it may not, and doesn't in any way indicate how the future years will occur, because so very many things factor into the recruiting equation.
    • Agree Agree x 3