The Gator D vs. Fsu O..

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 15 / -9
    Commentator of fsu game on now said he can not wait for this matchup and was excited to see who would win it. Mentioned 4 first round caliber secondary players on the Florida defense versus fsu and their passing game with Winston. Discuss..

He actually unintentionally made fun of fsu dismissing every defense they will face this year by saying that will be their real rest when they play us.
  2. GatorStang

GatorStang Member

Ratings Received:
    +109 / 6 / -2
    Griese doesn't beat around the bush, but he is totally right about our D being the only real test for FSU. He said that Winston's career high today will only last 2 weeks as he'll throw for more yds against Clemson lol
  3. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    without a pass rush against f$u, it could be a long day---their QB can really light it up
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    Without a pass rush or without sacks? We've had a pass rush in every game, even when it didn't result in sacks. You don't pile up our defensive statistics without pressure. Most sacks come as a result of certain pass plays, like third and long, 2-minute, or comeback situations, or when you send a blitz. Since we aren't a blitz heavy team and we haven't built a ton of massive leads forcing teams to abandon their offensive strategy by the third quarter, it stands to reason we wouldn't have as many sacks. To put our pass rush into perspective, we've only played 211 snaps defensively this year and totaled 9 sacks, a rate of a sack every 23.5 plays. The best pass rush defenses in our league average a sack ever 22.2 plays (Arky), 22.7 (SC), 31.9 (Vandy), 30.7 (UGA), 29.3 (UK), 38.2 (Mizzou), 48.3 (LSU), and it gets much worse from there. We are third in the league in sacks per play. We are also fourth in the league in sacks per pass play at 1/14.7, behind SC (1/11.4), UK (1/11/4), SC (1/11.5).

To the thread topic, I like Winston. He is really, really good. Big and athletic, can move in the pocket or tuck it and run, has a strong arm and can make all the throws. Their entire offense is on the same page with a system molded around them and they have a high level of talent, mostly owing to the 2011 class that is now at its apex.

That being said, we have without question the best secondary in the nation, Ball has proven he can cover any tight end we face, and we have a system at its best stopping spread passing attacks, which is mostly what they run with Winston, even with O'Leary in the game. Every defense they have played this season has appreciably less talent than them, so you can't take too awful much from their success just yet other than what you draw from the "eye test." As long as our defense hasn't lost key players or too much depth by then, I would be shocked to see them score much more than 20 or so.
  5. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 5 / -2
    I think that is a little unfair to Clemson's D. UGA put up more points against LSU's defense than they did against Clemson. While neither are great this year, they are still good defenses.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    A touchdown on a fade is hardly getting burned. And it was a redshirt freshmen who got beaten on a play action pass and subsequently lost his starting job. Don't forget that Purifoy missed a game to suspension, Hargreaves and Watkins both missed substantial camp time due to injury, Roberson has missed two of our four games, and Poole missed one due to suspension. We have hardly even played with a full complement, let alone with the unit we will field going forward now that Watkins has taken over at free safety and Hargreaves is the third corner.

It isn't like this is the first time we've watched Purifoy, Roberson, and Watkins play, either. They were among the best last year. Add Hargreaves, who is as talented of a freshman corner as I've seen strictly in terms of coverage skills, and Riggs, who is an improvement in coverage than either of our safeties last year and tackles more surely than I ever imagined, and I would say they look better than anybody I have seen. Better than Bama. Better than Stanford. Better than FSU. Who else is there?
  8. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +100 / 5 / -0
    Honestly? FSU hasn't played anyone i am not scared/Worried about them as per usual lately they have played nothing but cupcakes. I think our D handles them very easily.
  9. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538 / 22 / -4
    I agree, let them think this is what real football is like...

they are in for an SEC surprise. Gatorbait.
  10. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 27 / -2
    What exactly is a SEC surprise? Georgia and UF both loss to ACC teams.
  11. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538 / 22 / -4
    Neither lost to the girls school. Watch last year's replay. Same thing coming, different year.
  12. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 27 / -2
    That's more like it. Bring up that you're Florida and if you win, it's because you beat our ass. No need to arbitrarily bring up "SEC" like Vandy or Miss State fans do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.