The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    is that an oil rig in the video? south padre island Texas maybe
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  3. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,804
    ^ Nice!! Is that in North Georgia?
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    It was in Missouri. Wife and I went to Big Cedar Lodge.
    It was outstanding.
  5. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,218
    Awesome man...fine trout! Did you get to cook some up?
  6. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    Nice shirt! Way to represent.
  7. Speedofsand510

Speedofsand510 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
  8. mauijab

mauijab VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    my first ahi . we caught it on the way home from the big island after fishing for world cup last year . we fished 3 days there with just a knock down is all . we just arrived to rough maui waters when we got this . 1stahi.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    wow, 3 days off Kona with just one knock down? that is surprising and would be depressing. it was a decade ago but I fished two days with Marlin Parker on the Marlin Magic and we leadered 3 and had 5 hooked up and added an ahi to boot. No monsters with all that we leadered between 200 and 400 lbs but definitely didn't complain. Fished early July. That is one captain that really knew his stuff. Hope to return one day and fish with him again. If you have never been to Kona, it is a unique fishery, drop lines 1000' out of harbor, fish on water that is as still as a small pond, catch blue marlin within site of the beach
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mauijab

mauijab VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    it was an amazing experience . i did get to meet marlin there too . the fire cracker tournament , "bite me " cut right behind our lures and the winning marlin hooked up directly behind us at 6 o'clock . it was a sad end . what makes it worse is bite me is a nole . it was a slow time for marlins there in '13 . the yellow fins were biting though . we just didn't have the luck that week .

i was too busy at work this year to fish but my boat partner fished the lahaina jackpot / halloween shoot out . we landed the biggest marlin by far but our crew took video and posted it to the shootout's facebook page . our angler got out of the fighting chair to grab gloves and our deck hand cranked the reel one turn while he was gone . we were disqualified .

i do have every intention to make it back to kona next july 4th .
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    too busy at work to fish a marlin tournament...blasphemous

ouch...one crank.. not smart..let the mate get the gloves, goose the engine to keep the lines tight, do something, just don't touch the ^%^&%* reel

do you keep a boat on Maui? my 12 year old son is already trying to figure out how to get a job working as a mate there during the summers. told him that is fine as long as he has room for Dad to fit a cot in his rom.

Marlin told me that the best lure he has is his boat, something about the hum of the motors or the hull slap but he swears that his boat is his best lure. he had lures for each month, each water color, each spot in the spread, down to a science. would love to fish that kona tournament but will not feel too bad for myself as I will be in Brooks Falls Alaska next July 4th watching the brown bears chase salmon and doing a king salmon trip the next day with the kids out of King Salmon for my birthday present to myself

I was in Maui this summer end of June and was scheduled to fish Kaui ahi first week of July but weather was bad the night trip I was going to go so that got cancelled and the boat had mechanical issues the day the family was booked to go so didn't make it. squirreled those pennies away to take the family mahi fishing next summer in the keys for their first mahi trip. did make a day trip to Lanai and saw a couple of boats that came in with multiple ahi over there. seemed like there was a good ahi bite happening off their coast this summer.
  12. mauijab

mauijab VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    i agree about the work thing . opened a new store this year and we moved out of another location . that kept me busy until august above and beyond my normal work load . then my payroll guy passed away and a huge mess to clean up . we lost all of the computer data and had to manually enter all the data . i didn't do the work but still a lot of extra hours . then i lost my lahaina crew so all new staff there . it's finally settled down now . christmas season starts on friday . i will fish a lot more next year . i would have made it a few saturday trips but conflicts with gator football . i have dish for the boat so i can watch football and fish on saturdays next year . our first installation of the dish failed . its in my garage right now . the welder is fixing the marlin tower for it now .

my partner has a slip in lahaina harbor . we have a bertram 31 . the 31 is a great lure . our lures are more for maui waters is one of the problems we experienced . we will have them more dialed for 2015 trip .

i don't think it's hard to get a deck hand job here . they normally need spare guys because of someone not showing up . ours is not a charter . we both work , so the boat is our escape and never confused with work . bob does have a 6 passenger captains licensee but the slip is not a commercial slip .

it's beautiful to be out in the water here but the fishing is better in florida . i am more of a bottom fishing fan but here deep sea is better fishing . the best bottom fishing is 300 feet deep so it's done with down riggers and or electric reels . i think you'll have a great time with the family in the keys . a lot of days out here are shut outs . if you bring the family for fishing here , go see marlin again on the big island . we have great crews here on maui but big island catch a lot more than us . they call our fishing mahi mahi and ono (wahoo) fishing . the ahi bite happens infrequently .

that sounds like a great birthday trip planned . you could fish world cup there too in 2016 . bermuda and kona win it the most if i remember correctly . bermuda did edge out kona 2013 by 8 pounds . kona 660 and bermuda 668 .
    • Like Like x 1