The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Anyone know anything about fishing in the Clearwater area?

I am heading down there this weekend and would like to do some wade fishing, problem is I don't know the area whatsoever.

We went out yesterday and had a world-class day. We caught 6 redfish that were 30 inches and up, including the biggest redfish I have ever see. I cant wait to post pics of this monstrosity of a red, he was HUGE!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. vanders

vanders Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,560
    PM Sneakygator
    he loves a fishing fool
    and he lives just a little north of there
  3. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Here are the pics from Saturday. We were sight casting to big reds all day long, it was pretty much awesome, an epic day. We caught six which were over slot, and 3 in the slot. The big one my buddy caught was 41 inches, and between 25-30 pounds, he was the fattest red I have ever seen, he must have been slap full of roe. The fish took the bait about 10 feet away from the boat in about a foot of water, and as you can imagine we were kinda excited when he sucked the bait in. I polled after him to catch up, at that time we didn't know how big he was. When he got a little closer to the boat and went broadside we saw how big the sucker was, very exciting stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a little baby 30 incher one I caught.
    [​IMG]
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    WOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is awesome. I have redfish near the top of a list of speices that I have not, but want to catch.

Great job!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BottledwaterGator

BottledwaterGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Gatorella,

Is that Mosquito Lagoon? I've never seen bigger redfish anywhere else. I used to wade fish with the gators there. Talk about an adrenaline rush!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    We were fishing between the Waccasassa River and Cedar Key (due west of Gainesville). I have fished a bit in the Mosquito Lagoon & Banana River area, and they do catch them that big down there. But in my area they don't seem to get much above 15 lbs or so for whatever reason. I do a ton of red fishing after hunting season and before the pelagic species get to our area (May), and we have for years now. But We have never seen a red of this size, not even within 15 lbs of this one. Crazy.
  7. radg8tr

radg8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Nice Red GatoRella!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Rella-
    Tampa Bay area is so big its hard to point you right without knowing wheterh you are bringing a boat or whatever. Heres what I know. In Clearwater proper, your best bet may be the deep residential canals if the water temp stays cold like it has been. Lots of folks catch good trout and reds warming along the seawalls. Gulp baits worked SLOW!

On the south side of the Skyway, Bishop's Harbor is a good bet as well but if you dont know the area proceed with caution (you prob do anyway fishing Cedar Key area).

Just across the Gandy bridge is Weedon Island. Great place to get out and wade or canoe - near the island is no motor. On the south side of the island there are some cuts and drop offs that usually hold trout and reds.

Good luck. I'm going to Isla Mujeres with the wife and sons (10 and 5) for 4 days of sailfishing. Captian had 35 bites one day last week before the full moon! I am stoked.
  9. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Thanks for the advice LittleBlue. I think we are going to go to Honeymoon Island. I can go fish and the GF can lay out on the beach so it is win win. I am planing on renting a kayak and give it a try. I might also slip over to Weedon Island, you are the second person to tell me to go there.

Good luck with Sails.
  10. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Went fishing this morning and had a pretty good trip. . . we caught 7 good sized amberjacks before getting too tired and moving to the reef. There we got a couple snapper and a few short grouper. We got a few big triggers, which we kept and ate for the first time. I just finished grilling and eating it.... surprisingly very good!!! But those things are a pain in the azz to fillet!
    We also got a few bonito and some almaco jacks.
    We lost a few big fish on the wrecks. . . probably bruiser AJs.
    Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like to get your butt kicked by an AJ!
    I am not sure if I landed this one, or if my buddy captured the moments before my demise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did land this one!! Most were about this size, but the few we lost were much larger, ripping drag that was LOCKED down and either burying into the wreck or breaking thur 50# leaders.

[​IMG]
  11. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    fishin again today!!! twice in 3 days . . . after not going out in a few weeks! :)

anyone else fishin?
  12. HugeMatzoBallz

HugeMatzoBallz New Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Thanks for the invite...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorskid

gatorskid Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    I caught a 88 pound black drum..trying to find that pic

Funny thing about it was that a friend wanted to leave the fish on the bank of a small lake near home and watch the people look at it.

Would have had hundreds of people fishing the lake.. at least those that don't know
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    88 lb black drum? My god that is huge! I would love to see a pic of that joker.

I just ordered a new push pole this morning, and I can't wait to get my hands on that puppy. There is assembly required so we wont be able to try it out until next weekend, but I have the feeling it will be worth the wait, it is a major upgrade for us.
  15. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Just got back last evening from Isla Mujeres, Mexico. AWESOME sailfishing. My wife, 10 year old and 5 year old all caught their firsts. On my last day (they took a breather) we caught 17 of 25 sails. Also caught 2 wahoo in the 40-50 lb range.

Now I am back to this cold weather - wow. I would highly recommend Isla for couple or family travel. Locals are great. Easy to get to and inexpensive. Air on Jet Blue from Tampa was under $200 rt, a decent room (we werent in it much) was $150 nt. Taxi from Cancun to Puerto Juarez ferry was $50 and ferry across to Isla was about $3 pp. The boat and mate will run you about $2K per day.

Food is cheap and very good, as are the cervezas.

Best part is most of the boats were from Texas, Carolinas and Georgia. They loved all our gator gear!
  16. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    You guys caught 17 sailfish in one day? Holy cannoli!

I can think of one gator basketball fan/fishing addict that will be pretty jealous of you. How big were they?

That sounds like an absolute blast, great idea for a vacation. I want to see a picture of your five year old with his first sail, that is one to remember.
  17. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Catching 17 in a day was pretty good but the crew I fish with are tournament winners so that number to them wasnt a big deal!. On Monday, seas were nearly flat and we saw over a hundred balling bait on top but couldnt get but a few bites. Insane fishing for sure. I'll try to post some pics later. Being back at work is no fun at all, should have extended the trip into the weekend and started back Monday.
  18. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I can think of one too!!! :)

That is an awesome day!!! Were you trolling? Fishing kites? I'd imagine you had some multiple hook-ups. We have done that a few times on my boat. . . have had numerous doubles, and a triple once. It was a wild scene!! You must have had several of those!!!

What a blast!!! And 17 of 25 is a pretty damn good ratio!!! Good fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the wahoo . . .wow! What a great trip!

Just out of curiosity. . . have they gone to circle hooks down there?

Congrats... look forward to some pics!
  19. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +986
    All dead bait trolling with circle hook balyhoo. These guys use dredges that are sick. Up to 40 mullet and/or balyhoo on each side along with squid chains. Most of the fish came up on the chains and we were able to drop back to them and watch them eat.

No live baiting in Isla. Our capt. never live baits anyway and prefers to dredge and troll even when fishing east coast Fl. tournaments.

I'll be going back for sure.

View attachment 838
  20. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    very neat!!!!

The tourney guys here who put up big numbers dont do as much of that... mostly kites with numerous baits out. Im guessing it may be b/c those tourney are so packed . . . that trolling in and around hundreds of boats with kites... would not make you too popular. :)
    Also, the stream runs so close here that the fish can be more concentrated... so maybe no need to burn feul to find them??

I have caught sails trolling illander/bally combos while dolphin fishing, but very few that way. Conversly... I have caught a lot of sails while live baiting for tuna and such.

I am not sure why it is so much more of a live bait game over here???

I have rarely gotten to see a sail chase down a trolled bait. It would be cool to fish the way you described!! Thanks for the report!

I'm guessing you did not get the hoo's on a circle hook/bally, right?